The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Psycology of magicians and the thumb tip. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Profile of J.G. the magnificent
I have been reading a lot on the tip lately after using one again after losing my last a few years ago. Realizing I don't know anything about them. A lot of magicians including myself have struggled with the fear of audiences seeing the tip. Worrying about the openings seam not being thin enough or the color not matching even thumb looking too long. A lot of old pros will tell you color and lengths shouldn't matter jokingly saying that brightly colored spotted, polka doted, striped tips may be used. Not sure about seams but personally I shall do experimenting on all these things. I have heard of giant gag hitchikers thumbs being used. http://www.magiclatex.com/ http://madhattermagicshop.com/magicshop/product_info.php?products_id=2413 Metal pipes, and yes colored patterned tips being used just to prove points. I want to try these myself. In thought though I think this is because we as magicians over think things.

For example the old silk vanish with a tip has many handlings. Some of which are meant to ellude magicians or layman that know about it. Yet I have had some laymen friends catch the tip. Perhaps it is a lack of skill. Or it could be that they don't think method they just see a silk stuffed not the motions or fingers used. If you ask someone what the magician they saw did they normally can tell you but without much detail. People only remember the basics. A magician complicates things going through in his mind all possible gimmicks and moves that could be used. They think they are great because they can come up with a great new effect but I guess its like some have told me they just want entertained. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=206 back to the basic thing though.

As a general rule I have read that people will generally assume your hands are empty unless circumstances arouse suspition. Though I have had people want me to show them empty. So always be prepared to back palm, shuttle pass or something. And with my last thing said I don't think audiences pay attention to finger positions unless they are obviously awkward due to poor technique and lack of confidence thus causing hand twitching. If you think about it their are many gimmicks not really designed for stealth except some fleshy colored paint in case of slight flash through the fingers. Examples hank ball, kozuch, dye tubes or various sorts, streamers and coils. Non gimmicks like billiard balls, eggs, coins, and cards. When hiding these their are parts of the hand we don't show and no one suspects. Often we have the need to hide our tips behind our fingers or held in the thumb clip and at the same time wonder if they will notice something being hidden I used to think that way. We worry about the tips being noticed yet I have heard of magicians purposefully flashing just to test and build their skills and confidence. No one notices anything. I have pulled it off and funny thing that is more or less unrelated and funny. People notice invisible thread ten feet from them and not a tip five feet away. I don't get why completely but this is my best explanation. For example with optical illusions where you half to see something in a picture. You try and try but cant see it and once you do it is hard not to. Then scratch your head as to why you didn't see it before. As it has been said the audience looks at the hand and not the thumb and much like a optical illusion we as people look in the wrong places with the answer being right there. It took my years of playing with cards until I noticed bicycles have naked mermaids on unicycles. I told people and no one else ever noticed either. This is all I have to say not really asking anything. Just want to get some good advice started. Am I right on these things. I think I should test this stuff out wearing my tip randomly just to see how long it takes strangers to notice my thumb tip it at all. Like while sitting in church or at the counter paying with my hand on the counter. Although most people if they notice it most likely wont say anything so I will watch were they look and the expressions on their faces. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=41 http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=125618&forum=37

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=109
Jeremy Gates
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Jeremy: Breaking extremely long paragraphs into shorter ones is helpful for reading from a monitor (or a book, for that matter). Thanks!
;)
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-05-11 15:16, Steve Hook wrote:
Jeremy: Breaking extremely long paragraphs into shorter ones is helpful for reading from a monitor (or a book, for that matter). Thanks!
;)

How did I do as the general post goes though. Am I right or do I have much to learn.

Posted: May 14, 2010 12:14am
My misdirection through patter and motions may have been off but I got caught today using my tip. However on the bright side I did several other effects with it to the same friend before and after and fooled him.

Posted: Jun 5, 2010 12:21am
I have experimented a little doing different methods for the same people. They all say they just see me stuffing a silk into my fist and no differences in the way my fingers move.
Jeremy Gates
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20534 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
This supports the old principle of "The larger motion hides the smaller one". People watch the moving hand.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

I did it around a while asking different people what they saw after doing it a couple different ways. Everyone always said that they simply saw me stiffing the scarf into my fist. Nothing special yet now that I think about it my perspective has changed. People may notice a slopy slight even if they don't notice a good one. So you don't need to be perfect but better than average I suppose. I have had people catch me using the original thumb tip steal now that I think about it.
Jeremy Gates
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Jeremy Gates
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Psycology of magicians and the thumb tip. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL