The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Bililard Act (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
***Kev***
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ***Kev***
For ideas and tips on your floating snooker cane
(Which nobody has answered any questions on)
I would recommend
Magic On Stage Volume 3 by Jeff McBride,
It has helped me emensly,
And....
1/3 of the video is targeted at the dancing cane....
As for the billiard balls,
I suggest Brad Burts video, it covers Thimbles and Balls,
May I also recommend you use the Fakini products, balls, thimbles ect.
I got a new set of thimbles today, 4white and 1pink,
They are great,
I am wearing them while i am typing this Smile
Cheerio Smile
JePi
View Profile
New user
Germany
13 Posts

Profile of JePi
I also vote for Geoffrey Buckingham's "It's Easier Than You Think." But it needs hard practice. But there are some good ideas included for misdirection. Decide which persona of magician you will be in your act, what story you want to tell with billiard balls and for the beginning make it easy. Start with two balls palmed (one in each hand) and hold a silk between it to show it empty. Cover the silk over the left fist, drop the right palmed ball in the silk and produce it magically. Make some vanishes and and reappears with the ball. Drop the left palmed ball in your right palm position by touching the silk when the ball reappears out of it and take the visible ball between the fingers of your right hand. You have one visible and one palmed ball in your right hand. Stick the silk in the pocket and palm a ball with a shell while producing the palmed ball with the right hand.-2 balls. Produce the left palmed ball+shell with the left hand and place it between the fingers of the right hand. 3 balls. One wave, lift the ball out of the shell.- 4 balls. You can now going on with more 4 balls or put the balls in a silk, where they "change" to confetti or something else. In any way keep in mind: the best is to be 2 (secret) balls ahead against your audience.

I have read the routine "The amazing cane" by Marckonik. It would be a good idea to combine that trick with a billard ball routine instead of a snooker cane.
For those who did not know the Marckonik cane: it is a cane with a ball on the top. You can remove the ball and it will appear again on the top of the cane. (Excuse my english but I am a German. So I try to give my very best).
Marcus Taylor
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Marcus Taylor
I too vote for Buckingham's book. The thirteen ball routine would blow away magicians and laypeople. Plus the book has a brilliant chapter on steals and body loads.
Magically Yours,

Marcus Taylor

marcus-magic@hotmail.com
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
The section on steals and body loads is worth the Buckingham book alone. He really goes into details with it.

Also, I like the Chavez course in magic notes. Great sections there on ball manipulation and manipulation in general.

I think the key is to learn the different techniques and moves in billiard ball manipulation but do not look for routines directly. You will then only become another clone. Take what you learn and develop it into something that fits your style and character on stage. You will thank yourself and the audience will thank you.
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I've studied Ganson's Routined Manipulation books since I was 14--including the billiard ball routines. But I've never heard of Ganson's Rainbow balls routine. What's the source for that? Thanks.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I have heard about it also but I have not ever seen it in print anywhere as of yet. It would be worth checking into.
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hello all!

I've used the Ireland golf balls for more than 20 years, since I acquired an original set (softish rubber w/two shells) at a magic shop that sold used stuff. Ball holders under the edges of the vest work well for me.

I'm sure glad I ran across this thread, as I'm now looking for new and different routines. I have to agree, Ganson's the authority on billiard balls, and manipulation in general.

And, I must add, the McBride videos (I have them all), are great to just watch, as I've always appreciated his flair and flourishes, and his ability to elevate the classic effects to new levels of artform. The man is a TRUE artist, IHMO.

Doug
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Unless the effect being performed is a relatively self-working item, I don't think a mere month is enough time to satisfactorily master and perform most manipulative routines.

Have you considered something else?
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hey guys, just thought of this...

The Rainbow Billiard Ball routine, I believe, thinking hard (smell the burning memory chips?), is in the book Amateur Magician's Handbook. I hope I'm right about that, as that's long gone from my collection. I made the mistake of lending it, however, check me on that. There is another source for that in a book called Hand Magic and, I believe Tarbell has a short ball and shell with wine glasses effect as well.

Anyone want to expand on the above?

Doug
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Well yes the Amateur Magician's Handbook does a great job at covering the basics in billiard balls. It also covers basics in cards, linking rings, thimbles, cigarettes, etc. It was my first book on magic given to me while a child in the hospital. The book remained on my shelf for years thereafter and I still love to flip through it to this day. As thorough as the book is, it should be called The Complete Magician with its wealth of information.
phread
View Profile
Elite user
md
486 Posts

Profile of phread
Hi all,
how about Tops Treasury of Ball Manipulations. lots of routines for billiard balls.
dug
Deckless Wonder
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Jeffrey Buckingham's It's Easier Then You Think is great for a huge routine, but, if you want a SUPER routine with a GREAT knockout finish, check Marvels of Mystery, by John Booth. His cannonball finish is great. Iused this routine as the manipulation part of the act I won the Grand Prix trophy at the PCAM convention (almost 100 years ago Smile )
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Bililard Act (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL