The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Close-Up Magic Week on Letterman (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12~13..21~22~23 [Next]
Doc Eason
View Profile
V.I.P.
Aspen Colorado
428 Posts

Profile of Doc Eason
Absolutely!
Doc Eason’s Rocky Mountain Magic

PO Box 50 / Basalt CO 81621

doc@doceason.com

http://doceason.com

http://doceasonmagicshop.com
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6258 Posts

Profile of magicfish
First of all, Carney doesn't flash. Second: did the poor camera angle flash the orange to the world, or only to the viewing magicians who were STARING at that hand just waiting for a load. I wonder.
teevtee
View Profile
Inner circle
1547 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Agreed it is good for magic.
Agreed it is Letterman's right to act as he is and tha he has been fine.
Jason Randall as one of "our best"... I' m sorry, nice guy and all but I cannot agree with that.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Quote:
On 2010-05-20 13:50, Rich B. wrote:
Pulling a coin from behind Letterman's ear? How long have many fathers and grandfathers been doing that for? Centuries?

I thought that's why he did it - he was being ironic.

Palmer was much more entertaining than so many movie stars I've seen on that show pushing their latest product - if there were more guests like him I'd watch more often. Letterman was Letterman - He's exactly the same with wildlife handlers who have to contend with animals running amok and him at the same time. Why would he change? It makes him millions - I don't think with his level of success, in his sixties, he will be amenable to being 'educated' by magicians.

No wonder there's so little magic on television - from what I've read here, magic is so precious that before it can be performed the set needs to be redesigned, the host sent to a re-education camp and made over, the director and camera crew put through magic specific training and the magician better look like a model and be in the latest Paris fashion - not to mention he should only do new exciting never-before-seen magic, that he's practiced for 25 years.

All that despite the fact Johnny Ace Palmer could just walk out there with three baby chicks hidden somewhere on his person and keep me and millions of others thoroughly entertained for 5 minutes.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19848 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well here is an idea that seems to be overlooked. Granted I did not wade through each and every post out of fear of falling asleep at the computer.

But the idea is that each and ever performance was GOOD FOR MAGIC! I think each and every man was a good enough representation for people to look at magic after seeing this and think of the art of magic as an ART and in a positive light.

Forget directors, angles, flashes and anything else and keep in mind that these guys whent into the lions den and came out without bleeding. Dave seemed to treat them quite well, and in his own way even tried to help them to shine.

I think it is a giant step forward for magic and magic on TV and I think it was long comming.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
471 Posts

Profile of epoptika
I have only watched the Tues. & Wed. night shows but I must say I was pleasantly surprised. I thought Letterman was extremely accommodating with both performers and did not at all appear to be trying to give them a hard time. There was a time when it seemed the only guests who were safe from his razzing were fellow comedians and sports figures.
And I thought John Carney handled himself just fine.
inidyls
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
315 Posts

Profile of inidyls
Quote:
On 2010-05-20 19:17, Gazzo wrote:
First off, I don't really understand what all the fuss is about. Johnny Ace Palmer was brilliant, as he always is. John Carney was brilliant, as he always is. Its not his fault that he got unlucky with the camera angles. To me its no big deal that there is a flash of orange. He still shines through. As for Jay Randall still really good, but his choice of material was something to think about. But above all things, its really really difficult to look good when you are on tv, you can't misdirect a camera. As for Palmer opening with commercial stuff like coin rolls etc...he does this on purpose to get the audience on his side. Which was the right decision in my opinion. Commercial magic is the way to go. John tried something very technically demanding which he is famous for. He works harder than anybody and to me it worked well.
As for Letterman being Letterman, you first have to understand it is his show. I don't see anything wrong with his comments. It was a real world ( not a magic convention), real people, real performing situation. Its no different from performing behind a bar or cocktail party. I have encountered and seen worse situations at the Magic Castle. But lucky for the magic fraternity they picked three performers so far that I think can think on their feet.
But I know my friend Steve Cohen is going to do extremely well also because he performs all the time. Probably more than anybody working around at the moment. I'm sure Ammar will do equally as good. It will be great for the magic world. I just think its good for everybody in Magic that we have 5 of our best on National Television.

I agree with everything you said Gazzo except the John Carney statement. Yes he is brilliant but flashing the orange, coconut is his fault. Unlucky??? He knew the camersas were there.
Each performer got a walk through with the directors, however they did not do a rehearsal with David. David wanted to be fooled and entertained the same as the audience. The set has 5 cameras and they were pointed out.
Did John watch the night before his??????
A professional is ready for anything and can adapt.
Other than that the guys are doing great.
teevtee
View Profile
Inner circle
1547 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Steve Cohen... FINALLY SOMEONE DID IT RIGHT!
Fred E. Bert
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
359 Posts

Profile of Fred E. Bert
Yes, finally, as I was sure he would. He engaged Letterman and did something out of the ordinary (for laymen at least). Steve was ever the professional and Letterman was very impressed, as was the audience. Way to go Steve!

And btw, he started by doing two things: he TOLD Letterman to clear his desk, an he started by telling a story to set up the magic...
Jonathan Brown
View Profile
Loyal user
Williamsburg, VA
288 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Brown
Steve Cohen was excellent. The performance was a bit "dry," but he was entertaining and the trick was great- you could hear audience members gasping when he cracked the walnut! Totally polished and not a sense of nervousness. This is what we needed. The bar keeps getting higher!

Jonathan Brown
teevtee
View Profile
Inner circle
1547 Posts

Profile of teevtee
He took his time to do ONE simple to follow routine with a narrative. He chose a routine that could easily be performed seated it this environment. He engaged both Dave and Paul as well as the audience. He performed well and he chose a camera safe routine (provided his own cover).

This is exactly what I was hoping for when close up week was announced. Good for him.
TKO MAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of TKO MAGIC
Steve Cohen, thanks for showing how it's done.
What a great choice to perform. This is what I been talking about.
Very very smart.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Quote:
On 2010-05-20 20:03, teevtee wrote:
Agreed it is good for magic.
Agreed it is Letterman's right to act as he is and tha he has been fine.
Jason Randall as one of "our best"... I' m sorry, nice guy and all but I cannot agree with that.

Agreed. When I read that lineup, I couldn't help but sing that old song from Sesame Street. "One of these things is not like the other." Not trying to be rude or mean, but it's really the truth. Several members of this thread belong there more than Jason. Doc, Gazzo, of course Ricky. But hey, would I have done better? I doubt it. But I wouldn't go on TV with heavily gaffed props with someone like Letterman either.
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1042 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Steve Cohen did an excellent job tonight. Each night seems better and better. It seems like each performer may be learning from the previous ones. Steve asked David to move the microphone, got David involved, chose something not so angle sensitive, and made sure that David could not see into his case. Great job Steve.
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
2656 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Steve Cohen Excellent Great Effect !!
Doc Eason
View Profile
V.I.P.
Aspen Colorado
428 Posts

Profile of Doc Eason
Excellent ... good establishing story, a great trick-probably the first 'miracle' of the week- presented well. Classy dresser... looks the part. Nervousness not evident. Nice handling of DL, who, BTW, is very polite this week. Great job. Kudos Mr Cohen.

All good for magic. hooray.
Doc Eason’s Rocky Mountain Magic

PO Box 50 / Basalt CO 81621

doc@doceason.com

http://doceason.com

http://doceasonmagicshop.com
jbayme
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of jbayme
I was on set today and thought Steve did an incredible job. He was confident, entertaining, and went in for the kill. Steve practiced all week to try to make the best of things, and I think he knocked it out of the park. We shot a short video with Steve right after we left the theater - you can check it out here:

http://media.theory11.com/3361

Tomorrow night, Michael Ammar's performance is on. Ammar did a great job. He performed Pressure (cell phone in balloon) as well as two other effects, including the Little Hand. It looked great and he had fun with it. The angles looked perfect when I was watching on the monitors, but it's sort of anyone's guess if they choose to cut differently or edit differently in the final show.

Tonight was a very good night for magic. Steve is a pro. Very, very well done.

/ jonathan.bayme
ceo / theory11
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1563 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Quote:
On 2010-05-20 09:56, doceason wrote:
If it were me on the dais, I would do material that I have been doing for my entire career. Bullet proof stuff. Like JAP did. Stuff that depends on interaction not heavy sleight of hand. Stuff that would allow DL to chime in like bar patrons have been doing for 30 years. I'd like to think that I would be able to banter with him as I would with any convivial ( drunken ) Tower tourist.

plus

I would fervently hope that the adrenaline that would be surging through my veins didn't squirt out my ears.

Love to see you do the gig Doc, I think you'd be great.
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1131 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
All kinds of plusses and minuses to discuss. Just a few things I've learned so far:

Randal: Choice of material is important (critical, really) for TV. Should be material in working repertoire.

Carney: TV angles are critical. Take existing routine in working repertoire and adapt it to the setting.

J.A.Palmer: Control of setting. Did not get side-tracked from DL's banter or comments. Kept consistently on script and progressed his set to the end. As a result, he has performed the most magic effects in the alloted time, yet still ended on a very strong final load (also, those silver plated Gazzo cups look brilliant!)

Cohen: Back to choice of material. Cohen's strength is his manner and calmness. His choice of material allowed a consistent, steady pace. He looked the part of a "millionaire magician". Controlled the setting. Got DL involved.

Ammar: I'm sure will be great. He filmed Monday, so he did not have the benefit of "knowing" ahead of time what the issues we are discussing would be.

I've been thinking (as I think all of us should), what have I taken away from this and what would I do in a similar situation. Though it's unlikely most of us will ever be on Letterman, it is possible that we could be on local news magazine type cast.

What I've learned:
* do only material in your working repertoire
* get host involved in the magic (even holding a prop is "involved")
* be aware of angles, and if possible, work with camera director to make angles your advantage (probably not possible with DL show)
* keep the set "moving forward" - do not allow the host (even accidentally) to side-track progression of set
* have something interesting to say and perhaps anticipate questions from the host so that at least you sound interesting
* dress consistently with character

There's more, I'm sure. But these points were what jumped out at me.
Adammcd
View Profile
Regular user
Greensburg PA
132 Posts

Profile of Adammcd
Steve Cohen was very good. I enjoyed it. My wife did not. My wife said that the lemon was obviously prepared in some way. She thought Steve was boring. I thought Steve was Brilliant. He came in with a great effect and told a story. I don't think the magic was as good as maybe Johnny or, especially, Carney, but it was good. That's my taste. I saw what was coming. In Carney's case I was so completely fooled by the ball under the class that my wife was laughing hysterically. My wife has actually liked Jason Randal the best thus far. Letterman was further restrained last night.

This week flew by I can't believe Ammar goes on tonight. It's over already. A guy at the Café suggested we, as magicians, email CBS and let them know we really enjoyed close-up magic week and they should do more stuff like it in the future. I think it's a good idea.

Adam
The last thing you ever expected, should have been the first.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Close-Up Magic Week on Letterman (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12~13..21~22~23 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL