The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Close-Up Magic Week on Letterman (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14..21~22~23 [Next]
Munseys_Magic
View Profile
Elite user
494 Posts

Profile of Munseys_Magic
Cohen was fantastic! I think the fact that he got to see 3 nights of cluse-up magic before his appearance might have helped him work out some kinks. Way to go, Steve!
Jim Munsey
Munsey's Magic
http://www.MunseysMagic.com
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Quote:
On 2010-05-21 07:43, Adammcd wrote:
Steve Cohen was very good. I enjoyed it. MA guy at the Café suggested we, as magicians, email CBS and let them know we really enjoyed close-up magic week and they should do more stuff like it in the future. I think it's a good idea.

Adam,
What we, as magicians, think isn't important. Look to Nielsen for the overnight numbers. That'll tell you how often Close-Up Magic Week is staged on Letterman. If the audience is there, great. If not, nope.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
I thought Steve Cohen was great last night. Great choice of effects. He also kept Letterman under control with minimal interruptions. I do think Letterman wasn't nearly as bad this week thus far as he has been in the past with magicians. Some of his comments were invited by the choice of material or presentations.

Here is another thread on the Genii forum about the shows. I think you'll get a different perspective than most people that have posted on the Café:

http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubbt......st221101

Also, John Carney himself makes a brief post about the show which you may find interesting.

Rich B.
Adammcd
View Profile
Regular user
Greensburg PA
132 Posts

Profile of Adammcd
Sorry meant to say that we as magicians should write in as viewers and say what fun it was. I understand all about Neilsen Ratings I have a few friends that work for them. I also understand the power of a write in campaign. I am also a believer in if you like something someone did you should tell them. It's the same reason I vote; It's my way of saying something when my actual voice may not be heard.

Adam
The last thing you ever expected, should have been the first.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Good idea Adammcd. They do take note of positive viewer responses. Might not accomplish much at first but it can only be good for magic. Hope they do this again next year.

Great post Doug. It's good to get us all thinking about performing on television and our persentations in general.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Adammcd
View Profile
Regular user
Greensburg PA
132 Posts

Profile of Adammcd
Just want to give credit where credit is due....Writing in is not my idea..but one I will do after tomorrow.

Quote:
On 2010-05-20 16:33, manreb wrote:
Okay. You liked this, you didn't like that. You thought it was a disaster, you though it was great.

We all watched. We wish there was more of this on TV. So what do you want to do?

Might I suggest that we all go to the the letterman web site and say what a thrill it was to watch and that we would like more of it. Not as a magician buta as a TV viewer. Maybe if we get 10% of the 43,000 members of this site to do so we can have something to complain about every week.

Just a thought.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Ooops, missed that one. Thanks manreb!
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1151 Posts

Profile of Corbett
I've DVR'd all of these, and enthusiastically look forward to watching them each morning when I wake up (I am an early bird at night).
CarlEJones
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, Texas
446 Posts

Profile of CarlEJones
I watched all of them this morning since this was the first time I've had this week to do so without interuptions. Camera angles weren't so kind a few times but I think it's fair to say that guests on a show don't have a lot of control over that area so you have to go with whatever they throw at you.

I really enjoyed all of the performers so it's hard to rank them. If I were going to watch one of their performances again though, it would be Steve.
cairo
View Profile
Veteran user
398 Posts

Profile of cairo
Cairo sez Cohen is King.
TKO MAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of TKO MAGIC
From John Carney's own words "When I asked for a table, they said no. When I asked if I could put my load bag on the floor or chair.....no. When I asked if I could lay down a mat, or a board to cover the 6" square indention in the table.....no. Had to sit sideways, halfway off the chair, with loads in different places then normal....awkward angles for steals.

There were 5 different cameras, filming from 5 different angles. Letterman's hands were one inch from the props which would expose everything, several times over. Then I had to interact to interruptions, and stay on track. Millions of viewers. Ten minutes "rehearsal". If you are demanding to the director or crew, you are out. Live audience, tons of crew. Tons of pressure. Trying to do something impressive and not play it safe. Trying to be entertaining. Trying to relax.

Easy...from an armchair at home.
cairo
View Profile
Veteran user
398 Posts

Profile of cairo
TKO was this a conversation with Carney or are his words somewhere online for us to see?
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2532 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Carney's words are from the Genii thread referenced above.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Adammcd
View Profile
Regular user
Greensburg PA
132 Posts

Profile of Adammcd
Here's a link.

Quote:
On 2010-05-21 08:41, Rich B. wrote:
I
Here is another thread on the Genii forum about the shows. I think you'll get a different perspective than most people that have posted on the Café:

http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubbt......st221101

Also, John Carney himself makes a brief post about the show which you may find interesting.

Rich B.
cairo
View Profile
Veteran user
398 Posts

Profile of cairo
Nevremind, just saw it on the Genii forum.
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
992 Posts

Profile of Gianni
I have a lot of things I want to say about the whole week but will start with one thing. I thought Steve Cohen did an absolutely tremendous job but I think I am right about one thing: I do not remember him getting the over-the-head camera angle that hurt John Carney and JAP on their loads. I think Steve Cohen caught a break that JAP and Carney did not get. And Steve Cohen had to go to his suitcase for eggs, orange, walnut, etc. Am I right about him getting a break on the deadly camera angle that the others did not get?

Gianni
cairo
View Profile
Veteran user
398 Posts

Profile of cairo
He didn't get the overhead camera, I think, because he had the forsight to move the microphone that was obscuring some view from the front angle.
Daniel White
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Daniel White
He specifically asked them to not use it at all
Adammcd
View Profile
Regular user
Greensburg PA
132 Posts

Profile of Adammcd
He was last to film (ammar filmed on Monday as is normal for David, films monday and Friday back to back)and asked for NO overhead. Simple as that. http://www.linkingpage.com/magicnewsfeed......eek.html
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
LESSON? LIVE AND LEARN!

Frankly, they were all good magically, only difference was their personalities and good or bad breaks camera angle wise.

I doubt if the next day any laymen even remember any of the details, like the flashes or drops.

IT WAS GOOD FOR CLOSE-UP MAGIC.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Close-Up Magic Week on Letterman (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14..21~22~23 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL