The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Close-Up Magic Week on Letterman (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16~17..21~22~23 [Next]
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
471 Posts

Profile of epoptika
Quote:
On 2010-05-22 01:19, ted french wrote:
I havent read all the post but am the only one that sees how difficult it is to perform sitting down to the side and cramped? It would be like doing magic in a phone booth.

Worth repeating Ted's comment here.
Also worth mentioning that performing one on one is not the ideal situation for getting the most out of your magic as you don't have the group dynamic working for you. Much easier to work for two or more specs.
Hats off to all of them! Smile
inidyls
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
315 Posts

Profile of inidyls
Quote:
On 2010-05-22 00:26, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-21 13:52, inidyls wrote:
It sounds like Steve Cohen did his homework , put a lot of thought into it, researched it , took control of the directors, Got help from fellow magicians , studied the show earlier in the work.

Lesson here???? Be prepared

I lost a lot of respect for John Carney. Making excuses saying it was out of my control and the "easy ... from an armchair at home comment." That was lame!!!
Be the expert and professional you say you are , everybody makes mistakes, own up to them.
Maybe you should have went the same route Steve did?

I loved your performance on Letterman the most, Just be humble. No excuses, we are only human. Everybody makes mistakes.

Carney doesn't call himself an expert and a professional- we do- because he is. Perhaps you should read his words again. A) he got a horrible camera angle. B) were you watching the effect as a layman would or were you staring at his hand waiting for the load?

Fish

Yes Carney calls himself a professional and an expert. I heard this right from him. And he should he deserves it. He got caught lying as well when he made up his excuses too. Read what Carney said then listen to what Steven Cohen said. Two totally opposite stories about talking with the directors.
Let me change your thoughts to my thoughts on this:
A. He got caught on a camera angle. It's only a bad angle if you get caught.
B. Watching with my family , both of my kids and my girlfriend noticed it right away. Why don't you read the Letterman forum board that someone posted here. All from laypeople, they noticed the orange plus every other part of his routine.
Adammcd
View Profile
Regular user
Greensburg PA
132 Posts

Profile of Adammcd
It was good. How weird is it that the Friday show was taped on Monday....Ammar is brilliant. Great week in and for magic. Sorry to see it end.

Adam
The last thing you ever expected, should have been the first.
CarlEJones
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, Texas
446 Posts

Profile of CarlEJones
After watching all of the performances I have to say that I think the best overall was Michael. Relaxed, funny and good. While I really like the other guys I think that Michael seemed to be the best fit for that spot.

Great week for magic!
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2532 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Quote:
On 2010-05-22 00:32, Chad Sanborn wrote:

Could I have done better? Hard to say, but I couldn't have done any worse!

Yes, I know that you're a professional magician and actor. Yes, you're and up and coming talent. Yes, I know that you're a better performer than 99.9% of the people who post on the Café.

But if there's any possibility that Karma operates in the universe, you might want to beg the moderators to remove that last remark. I know that you don't believe it, but there's a very real possibility that if you were in the same situation as this week's performers, you would go down in flames.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-05-22 11:23, inidyls wrote:

Yes Carney calls himself a professional and an expert. I heard this right from him. And he should he deserves it. He got caught lying as well when he made up his excuses too. Read what Carney said then listen to what Steven Cohen said. Two totally opposite stories about talking with the directors.

That's one possible explanation, but it's not the only possibility. Do you think that it's possible that Carney may have talked to one person, and Cohen may have talked to another person? Is it really that far-fetched that Carney received one answer, and Cohen received a different answer? Is it too presumptuous to think that the directors may give inconsistent answers?

Unless you were there and know the truth, it's a bit rude to call someone else a liar, don't you think?
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

My wife's impression of Michael Ammar's performance, in her own words:

"Wow! After all of these years, Michael still has what it takes. So cool and confident! Everybody else looked to the past, but Michael is moving into the future. He is, without a doubt, the hippest magician to appear on the program this week. Who'd a thunk it?"

-Leonard Bernstein
SWNerndase
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of SWNerndase
The SWN awards for the week:

1. "Best effect of the week" goes to Steve Cohen. Single easy to follow plot with a truly impossible effect. Miraculous. (Odd that he did not return the borrowed ring to its owner during the segment. Still, best trick by far all week.)

2. "Most likeable magician on TV award" goes to John Carney. Smooth routine full of surprises, performed with understated charm. Bad camera angle a tough break, but he comes across as a guy you'd like to hang out with. Vanish of the glass really fooled Letterman. Nice.

3. "Kids, dogs and Star Spangled Banner award" goes to Johnny Ace Palmer. Yeah yeah yeah, I get it. He's been doing that routine forever, it's very polished and smooth and it ends on the cutest little things you've ever seen. He did well, and the chicks are a memorable image. No shame in that. No risk or imagination either though. He was good. He's always good. He's just not great.

4. The "I'm a magic dealer now and I've forgotten what magic is" award goes to Michael Ammar. Remember his first Carson spot? Back when he cared enough to try? Here he was the most relaxed, got some nice face time with Dave to start out the set, but it quickly turned sour for me when it was clear he didn't bring his "A game" to the show. Wasted the opportunity. Really too bad.

5. The "I"m a store bought hack and have no business being on TV award" goes to Jason Randall. Bad choices, amateur mistakes and not worth analyzing further. I'm trying to put it out of my mind, in fact. Bleh. Embarrassing. Upstaged by an actor remembering a simple trick from childhood.

I give these awards in the order I would rank the performers, 1-5.

And I'm in complete agreement with those here who said that no matter what else, this is good for magic in general. Let's hope this happens more often. I understand that Craig Ferguson is going to do another of his "magic weeks" coming up soon. Maybe TV is starting to break open for magicians a little more? Terrific if true. I really enjoyed watching Letterman this week. Well, most nights anyway.

SWN
ScottSullivan
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of ScottSullivan
I've seen people on this and other forums deriding Ammar for doing material from his lecture. Sure, he did stuff that he has for sale, but it's entirely possible that it wasn't for purely mercenary reasons. The material was strong (the silk trick is old but powerful and he's improved it), funny (Letterman genuinely laughed at the little hand and it's tough to get a genuine laugh out of Dave) and polished. The material was polished BECAUSE he does it in his lecture which, to the best of my knowledge, is what he's been doing lately. Why wouldn't he perform the material in which he was most confident?

Ammar came across as a friendly, real person who is good at his craft. That's very good for magic in general. And, if he sells a few more lecture tickets/notes/props because of it, I don't begrudge him that.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Does anyone by chance have some link to the Michael Ammar performance?
Video's of the other performances where up and about the following day but I can't for the life of me find one for MA's performance.
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8626 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Nice rundown SWN. Briefly, I thought Cohen was a bit too wordy and meandering. Enjoyed Johnny Ace Palmer the best but enjoyed something from all of them. butEnjoyed watching for the week.

I would like to know if you could see the 5 closeup guys on Letterman, who would you choose?

For me, I would like to see on Letterman: Bill Malone, Chris Kenner, Mickey Silver, Apollo Robbins and Jay Sankey.

What's your opinnions on these guys, would they work or not? Just asking.
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
paynow
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of paynow
Quote:
On 2010-05-22 13:24, Mb217 wrote:
Nice rundown SWN. Briefly, I thought Cohen was a bit too wordy and meandering. Enjoyed Johnny Ace Palmer the best but enjoyed something from all of them. butEnjoyed watching for the week.

I would like to know if you could see the 5 closeup guys on Letterman, who would you choose?

For me, I would like to see on Letterman: Bill Malone, Chris Kenner, Mickey Silver, Apollo Robbins and Jay Sankey.

What's your opinnions on these guys, would they work or not? Just asking.

Definitely Malone, not only because of his outstanding close-up ability but for his comedic ability as well.
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1147 Posts

Profile of Salby
No $100 Bill Switch to a different denomination or Mis-made Bill?????

This would have WOW'd People.

Not even a coin trick all week???

Surprising???
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13384 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2010-05-22 03:30, Algebra2 wrote:
Where can I find the name of the silk effect through mug?

It's called "silk thru mug".
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13384 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-05-22 08:38, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-22 03:30, Algebra2 wrote:
Where can I find the name of the silk effect through mug?

Its called "the silk through mug"

LOL. Beat me to it Smile
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13384 Posts

Wow. How impressive we are here at the Café.

Calling Carney a liar.
Knowing that Ammar just wants to sell more stuff at his lectures.
Saying Palmer was talking down to the audience (Actually I don't believe he ever said anything to he audience but did utter.."wow, great audience".

I'll say it again. You people are harsh, and it seems, for all the wrong reasons.

I wonder how many of you with your harsh opinions did a single professional gig in the past week for more than 100 people present?
Doc Eason
View Profile
V.I.P.
Aspen Colorado
428 Posts

Profile of Doc Eason
Liar??? holy cow.. someone is taking this way too seriously..

SWNerdnase nails it and rather than retype his post.. I agree with his perceptions, for the most part. It could be argued that JAP, JC and SC were tied for first place. MA was wonderfully glib, good engagement, as noted. I like MA but the choice of material left me scratching my head.. to close with the 'stupidest trick in the world" ... well...

To stand behind a fence and holler over that someone is a LIAR? that is overly harsh in my book.

well, I am reminded why I don't spend much time over here...

It was a great week for magic.period.

over an d out.

Have fun guys...cya.
Doc Eason’s Rocky Mountain Magic

PO Box 50 / Basalt CO 81621

doc@doceason.com

http://doceason.com

http://doceasonmagicshop.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8626 Posts

Profile of Mb217
You got a point there Frank. I thought it was a bit harsh myself. These guys are all accomplished magicians and they get ragged like this. Imagine how when the same group of mostly lesser-men as you mention, jump on the even smaller guys among us that put forth real effort. Definitely a big reason to do YOU and take all the oppinion with a grain of salt.
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2429 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Quote:
On 2010-05-22 13:12, gaffed wrote:
Does anyone by chance have some link to the Michael Ammar performance?
Video's of the other performances where up and about the following day but I can't for the life of me find one for MA's performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsiyM489QL0
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
I thought Michael was great. I recent;y saw him lecture, where he did all the stuff he did on the show, and it was as great then as it was on tv. The was a reason they saved him till friday
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Close-Up Magic Week on Letterman (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16~17..21~22~23 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL