The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Close-Up Magic Week on Letterman (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17~18..21~22~23 [Next]
yangju
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of yangju
Dave before Ammar's appearance "... All day long, our switchboards have been jammed. People begging us to extend another week. We are doing what we can."

I wonder if that is a joke or he really meant it? Smile
cairo
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of cairo
It was a joke, the show was taped Monday before even a single magician show was broadcast.
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1256 Posts

Profile of Salby
MY PICK FOR THE NEXT CLOSE-UP MAGIC WEEK.....................

- David Williamson
- Bill Malone
- Michael Finney
- Gregory Wilson
- Jay Sankey

Why?? I feel these guys will "Play with David" the best while utilizing a high dose of Magical Comedy. These 5 guys use their comedy like it's second nature the best and won't make either side uncomfortable and just have some good clean late-night magical fun!!!!

-------

As a Side Note... I would love to see GAZZO (Not as close-up magic) and how he "plays with David". It would be hilarious!!!
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
cairo
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of cairo
Kcg they didn't "save" Ammar for Friday because he was better or worse than anyone else. Letterman tapes two shows on Monday, one is saved for Friday. The schedule was set before any taping as it is each week. Ammar taped that day because he started his European tour the next day and could make the show any day but Monday. Great week for magic.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
I’ll have to echo a few thoughts already put forth here.

It’s simply amazing! We now seem to have everything from people claiming that a magician is a liar, giving feeble excuses, a magician simply hawking his effects all the way to; “……but I couldn't have done any worse!” WOW!! Smile
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
inidyls
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
315 Posts

Profile of inidyls
Quote:
On 2010-05-22 14:09, doceason wrote:
Liar??? holy cow.. someone is taking this way too seriously..

SWNerdnase nails it and rather than retype his post.. I agree with his perceptions, for the most part. It could be argued that JAP, JC and SC were tied for first place. MA was wonderfully glib, good engagement, as noted. I like MA but the choice of material left me scratching my head.. to close with the 'stupidest trick in the world" ... well...

To stand behind a fence and holler over that someone is a LIAR? that is overly harsh in my book.

well, I am reminded why I don't spend much time over here...

It was a great week for magic.period.

over an d out.

Have fun guys...cya.

YOU GUYS NEED A LIFE!!!!!!
I was being SARCASTIC.
This whole thread is idiotic. Do you magicians really think any layperson in their right mind turn on David Letterman to watch magic? Or remembered what magician they liked? The reason there is magic week or stupid tricks/animal tricks or any other form of entertainment is a FILL IN. They tune in to watch an interview.
The sarcastic comment was a joke between half of you magi's saying John Carney said you can't tell the directors anything or your out , it's there way or the highway. Then the other half of the magi's said Steve told the David Letterman crew he wanted no overhead shot yada yada yada.
WHO F in CARES!!!!!!!
No wonder actors, comedians, broadway think magic is not an ART FORM and put us in the same class as clowns.
How many laypeople do you think KNOW or REMEMBER who Dai Vernon was.
You can be the greatest technical magician in the world but with no presentation you are nothing.
Go out next week and ask any person on the street that watched DL during magic week and ask them who was there favorite magician and what was his name. There reply will be oh the guy with live chicks under the cup not sure what else he did but that was cool o but I caught a glimpse of the orange he put under the cup. Before you tell me that was two different magicians...NO SHeeT but the person watching doesn't know.

OK you want HARSH. Criss Angel will always be more famous than you, me , John Carney, and God of magic himself DAI VERNON. Get a grip, it's only magic.
OH he said that , well he said that and she said.... , welcome to second grade.

"To stand behind a fence and holler over that someone is a LIAR? that is overly harsh in my book.

well, I am reminded why I don't spend much time over here... " All I have to say is bring back the Magic Circle Jerk!!!!!!!

"It was a great week for magic.period" For who? You?
If close up was so great they would have a show on close up every week.
Close up is a fill in while you wait for your food, in between celebrity guest, drunk patrons at a bar so you drink longer, to fool your co-workers and life of the party.
Ask any full time magician how ruff it is to make a living on magic. Maybe 2% make a good living. Why do you think that is. Because the client is weighing there option if they want the magician, clown, face painter, comic, story teller, pony rides, motivational speaker.

And DOC - aren't you the one who said awhile back that said don't expect to make a great living in magic unless your spouse is the money maker. Do it because you love it. There's no real money in magic.
paynow
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of paynow
Quote:

No wonder actors, comedians, broadway think magic is not an ART FORM and put us in the same class as clowns.

Really? While I'm an amateur hobbyist as a magician I'm a member of both SAG and Equity. I look at magic as an art form and don't look at magicians as "clowns".
inidyls
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
315 Posts

Profile of inidyls
Quote:
On 2010-05-22 16:03, paynow wrote:
Quote:

Really? While I'm an amateur hobbyist as a magician I'm a member of both SAG and Equity. I look at magic as an art form and don't look at magicians as "clowns".

Just quoting Ricky Jay, Bob fitch, Will Farrell
Maybe you heard of them
Gazzo
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of Gazzo
I was being SARCASTIC.
This whole thread is idiotic. Do you magicians really think any layperson in their right mind turn on David Letterman to watch magic? Or remembered what magician they liked? The reason there is magic week or stupid tricks/animal tricks or any other form of entertainment is a FILL IN. They tune in to watch an interview.
The sarcastic comment was a joke between half of you magi's saying John Carney said you can't tell the directors anything or your out , it's there way or the highway. Then the other half of the magi's said Steve told the David Letterman crew he wanted no overhead shot yada yada yada.
WHO F in CARES!!!!!!!
You can be the greatest technical magician in the world but with no presentation you are nothing.
Go out next week and ask any person on the street that watched DL during magic week and ask them who was there favorite magician and what was his name. There reply will be oh the guy with live chicks under the cup not sure what else he did but that was cool o but I caught a glimpse of the orange he put under the cup. Before you tell me that was two different magicians...NO SHeeT but the person watching doesn't know.

OK you want HARSH. Criss Angel will always be more famous than you, me , John Carney, and God of magic himself DAI VERNON. Get a grip, it's only magic.

"To stand behind a fence and holler over that someone is a LIAR? that is overly harsh in my book.

well, I am reminded why I don't spend much time over here... " All I have to say is bring back the Magic Circle Jerk!!!!!!!

Close up is a fill in while you wait for your food, in between celebrity guest, drunk patrons at a bar so you drink longer, to fool your co-workers and life of the party.
Ask any full time magician how ruff it is to make a living on magic. Maybe 2% make a good living. Why do you think that is. Because the client is weighing there option if they want the magician, clown, face painter, comic, story teller, pony rides, motivational speaker.

And DOC - aren't you the one who said awhile back that said don't expect to make a great living in magic unless your spouse is the money maker. Do it because you love it. There's no real money in magic.
[/quote]
YES YES YES who ever you are. I AGREE with this 100%.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I'm an actor, too. Most other actors do not think of magicians as clowns. A lot of actors I know are fascinated by magic and a very interested in it as an art form.

I think everyone did a very nice job this week. If I were doing it, I would do exactly the type of stuff Ammar did: practical material with good angles that can be done almost anywhere. It's the safest bet for a venue like that where you are working in a limited space and don't have much control over angles. Plus, the effects were simple, direct and fun.

I really enjoyed Ammar. I love the "penetration and vanish" set up. Gave Letterman a couple of nice Jack Benny moments and a couple of funny lines.

BTW, just for the record, Letterman treats everyone the same way. I don't think he was hard on these guys at all. He was just being Letterman. Which is what people want to see when they watch Letterman. They like seeing him taking jabs at guests. And they were harmless jabs.

Fun stuff this week.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
paynow
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of paynow
Quote:
Just quoting Ricky Jay, Bob fitch, Will Farrell
Maybe you heard of them

Yeah....I've heard of them.....don't need your sarcasm...I could care less what Will Ferrell, who I love as a comedian, thinks of magicians. Ricky Jay and Bob Fitch...OK...so? It's not "quoting" to say something that is a broad sweeping generalization and attribute it, with no proof, to three different people when someone calls you on your generalization.

Orson Welles was an ACTOR who loved magic as was Bill Bixby who was a magician.
Doc Eason
View Profile
V.I.P.
Aspen Colorado
429 Posts

Profile of Doc Eason
See what I mean... whew...

I said it was good for magic.. not for me or anyone specifically.. why the attack.. YOU were the one who called him a liar.. sorry if I missed the "sarcasm".

It was fun here for awhile .. why does it always descend into this..

Later.
Doc Eason’s Rocky Mountain Magic

PO Box 50 / Basalt CO 81621

doc@doceason.com

http://doceason.com

http://doceasonmagicshop.com
Gazzo
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of Gazzo
Quote:

It was fun here for awhile .. why does it always descend into this..

Later.

Doc.
Because some people (closet magicians) just don't get it, and they never will
G.
Doc Eason
View Profile
V.I.P.
Aspen Colorado
429 Posts

Profile of Doc Eason
Yah I guess you are right G.. I musta missed the sarcasm (?) ...

for the record I don't know where you got that...I don't remember ever saying that.. and btw my money maker and I have been divorced for more than ten years.. so that for sure doesn't hold any water.

the guy behind the fence (and behind a screen name) continues to toss angry stuff over the fence.. why?

I have to go to work now.. see you guys around. get a job and a life..

tired of wrestling with pigs again.. doesn't take long.

doc@doceason.com

inidyls
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
315 Posts

Profile of inidyls
Where did I say Quoting Cameron here " Most other actors do not think of magicians as clowns"
So thanks for scrambling my words Cameron and paynow.
I don't think magicians as clowns either.
See what I mean Doceason. Everybody has there own view , it doesn't matter cause all you fellows just scramble words together. And Doc there was no attack. You would be the last person I would attack.
I only stated people in general put us in the same category as clowns and I'm not saying that's a bad thing. And if you think any true actor or actress think we are in the same class as them as our trade being an art form your crazy.

Paynow wrote " Orson Welles was an ACTOR who loved magic as was Bill Bixby who was a magician."
Whats your point?

Sorry the truth hurts.
arizona
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of arizona
Quote:
On 2010-05-22 17:20, Gazzo wrote:
I was being SARCASTIC.
WHO F in CARES!!!!!!!

[/quote]

LOL weren't we below or above the mimes in the Performing arts heiarchy. Dang this is probably looked at like mimes discussing public performances that goes on for ten pages.
inidyls
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
315 Posts

Profile of inidyls
Quote:
On 2010-05-22 20:10, arizona wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-22 17:20, Gazzo wrote:
I was being SARCASTIC.
WHO F in CARES!!!!!!!

LOL weren't we below or above the mimes in the Performing arts heiarchy. Dang this is probably looked at like mimes discussing public performances that goes on for ten pages.
[/quote]

LOL
Doc Eason
View Profile
V.I.P.
Aspen Colorado
429 Posts

Profile of Doc Eason
That's not the quote I was talking about.. the quote was

that is the quote I was taking umbrage with. I don't remember ever saying that.. and my money maker isn't in the picture anymore.. so it doesn't carry anywater whatsoever anyway.
and if you recall, you were the one who used the term 'Liar'. sure didn't see the the sarcasm there...I just heard the word...

one must choose one's words carefully esp when using sarcasm.

doc@doceason.com

Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Getting back on topic - Ammar was brilliant. It's rare for Letterman to REALLY laugh like he did at the little hand trick, he thought it was hilarious.

Ammar has had the most experience with TV stuff with his appearances on Carson etc, it really showed.

Brilliant.
inidyls
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
315 Posts

Profile of inidyls
Well Doc you told me that personally a few years ago at a festival. But don't worry I won't call you a liar. (that was sarcasm again) You seemed like a very nice fellow so I'll leave it there.
I do not want to get into the you said he said. This was the whole point of my post. Now you people suckered me into it.
And don't worry I'll make you happy. I will be away from the Café for a while heading to Japan. This will be the last thing on my mine.
Now lets get back on topic.

Michael Ammar was great like usual.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Close-Up Magic Week on Letterman (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17~18..21~22~23 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL