The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Close-Up Magic Week on Letterman (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15~16~17~18~19..21~22~23 [Next]
spcarlson
View Profile
Veteran user
Minneapolis MN
359 Posts

Profile of spcarlson
Congratulations to all the close-up artists on Letterman this week, you all did a great job and made an excellent showing for close-up magic!

Someone suggested sending a positive email to the show regarding the week of close-up magic I think that’s a great idea; hopefully they’ll make this a regular thing.
Legendary Creations

from Merlin to Marilyn

www.MagicalArtCreations.com

www.StevenPaulCarlson.com
MattSchick
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles, CA
3 Posts

Profile of MattSchick
I really enjoyed watching all of the magicians on magic week. While performing at a town festival today, a man who I had just performed for told me he watched Letterman all week and enjoyed the magicians. When I asked him what his favorite trick was, he responded "The little hand grabbing the coin." I enjoyed the latter four performers for all different reasons but I have to agree that Ammar was, by far, the most likable and down to earth.

Despite many of Letterman's belittling comments toward magic throughout the week, I think that he genuinely enjoyed the performances and I hope that he decides to bring magic week back sometime in the near future.

-Matt
Adammcd
View Profile
Regular user
Greensburg PA
132 Posts

Profile of Adammcd
Yes, I stated that JAPAlmer seemed to talk down to the audience so I went back and watched it again and again and that is still my impression. And perhaps he did not address the audience directly but he was on TV in fron of millions of people. The magic was great and I also stated that. I didn't like the guys style and found it condescending a little. At the end of the day I thought it was a great week for magic and am very sorry to see it end.

Adam
The last thing you ever expected, should have been the first.
SeanScottMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of SeanScottMagic
I think Letterman is a rough ride, whether he likes you before the fact or not. It's about the host and you have to be able to spar with him a bit. I honestly was a little curious why the magi didn't have their guns loaded a little more. Carney did the best at that I felt. But, easy for me to say.....

A rough ride as I said. The orientation the performers had wasn't very accomodating. Their chair faced very straight forward and they were all kind of doing the "twist". Camera angle was harsh as we all know. The show could have given them a more favorable arrangement.

With that said, hats off to all of them. I couldn't do it. A lot of pressure and they all came through. Bravo!

Sean
http://WWW.THEARTOFSEANSCOTT.COM
AVAILABLE EFFECTS:

ROAMING
RISE
RENDER
MODOSU
FACTORY LINE
BANDARIZUMU
KI
MXL
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1114 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Quote:
On 2010-05-22 03:21, tophatter wrote:
Okay Don't get all over me here I think Ammar is Awesome but I feel he choose these effects for one reason To sell them at his lectures . Like I said Don't get all over me for saying this but he should have performed his signature effects . I have to say he comes in last very disapointed !!

Quite possible....and if that IS the case, the man is my hero....HERD THE SHEEP!!! LOL.

I Hope he sells a million little hands and scarves!

I thought Ammar did great! The best of the week. He was the ONLY magician that actually sat like a guest should and in my opinion the only one that didn't look like his "patter" wasn't interrupted when Dave interjected. Very natural and confident.

I think he chose a good effects to perform, quick, visual and to the point. That is where the others FAILED, that is why they looked uncomfortable. Magic for Letterman...(IMO) has to be quick and to the point or you will get caught up in Dave's banter.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2263 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I found it interesting that all of Ammar’s effects were from his current lecture, a lecture in which I would say was the best, most practical lecture I ever saw (lots of fun too).

The silk through mug has been talked about here and in his lecture he informed us about a r**l that is quieter and makes doing this close up possible. He said they are hard to find and certainly did not have any for sale. Does anyone know the name of the r**l and where I might find one? Kikuchi maybe?

I can’t see this week as being anything except great for magic.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Bill Beach
View Profile
Veteran user
Nashville, TN
304 Posts

Profile of Bill Beach
Here's a link to the r**l - http://store.ammarmagic.com/the-best-swedish-reel.html

He obviously has them for sale now.

I'm a big Michael Ammar fan, too, but it IS interesting that he has a page on his website already featuring products from his Letterman appearance - not that there's anything wrong with that!
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2263 Posts

Thanks Bill.

It may be a smart thing that Ammar is doing. Heck, I'm going to give him $150 today because of his set selection!
www.KenNorthridge.com
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Brilliant marketing and a nice opportunity for those who like to perfom things that have been seen on national TV recently.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Silk through mug was excellant.
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
471 Posts

Profile of epoptika
I think Letterman enjoyed "the stupidest thing he ever saw" more than anything done all week which, in my opinion, made it a very successful bit. It was very entertaining - magical or not.
arizona
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of arizona
Interesting with the doll hand. I saw that in MAGIC I believe, and thought corny and obvious hardly magical at all. Sometimes I wish I was a laymen still.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1418 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Why break the cardinal rule of magic and repeat the same trick twice? Even Ammar said something like "Not that you asked, I will do it again" The second time the audience reaction was much less and it drew more attention to the scarf that he pointed out could not be examined. Also I heard "talking" that I did not hear the first time.

Why END with a gag? Did I miss something? He never showed his hands empty so it was a cute gag. He should have started or done that one second. The audience enjoyed the comedy but Letterman's word choice was probably because Ammar did not finish the effect by showing his hands empty. Heck, if he can vanish his phone he could have worked that out.

The only credit I will give him is for trying to use something modern. I do not know what he was thinking with the take a picture thing and then have just a nothing of a photo but at least that is the effect people remember him doing.

To hear Aston and Dave bring up the scarf again when, supports that he brought too much focus to the scarf by repeating it. They might know how he did it but they knew something was up.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6525 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2010-05-22 15:56, inidyls wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-22 14:09, doceason wrote:
Liar??? holy cow.. someone is taking this way too seriously..

SWNerdnase nails it and rather than retype his post.. I agree with his perceptions, for the most part. It could be argued that JAP, JC and SC were tied for first place. MA was wonderfully glib, good engagement, as noted. I like MA but the choice of material left me scratching my head.. to close with the 'stupidest trick in the world" ... well...

To stand behind a fence and holler over that someone is a LIAR? that is overly harsh in my book.

well, I am reminded why I don't spend much time over here...

It was a great week for magic.period.

over an d out.

Have fun guys...cya.

YOU GUYS NEED A LIFE!!!!!!
I was being SARCASTIC.
This whole thread is idiotic. Do you magicians really think any layperson in their right mind turn on David Letterman to watch magic? Or remembered what magician they liked? The reason there is magic week or stupid tricks/animal tricks or any other form of entertainment is a FILL IN. They tune in to watch an interview.
The sarcastic comment was a joke between half of you magi's saying John Carney said you can't tell the directors anything or your out , it's there way or the highway. Then the other half of the magi's said Steve told the David Letterman crew he wanted no overhead shot yada yada yada.
WHO F in CARES!!!!!!!
No wonder actors, comedians, broadway think magic is not an ART FORM and put us in the same class as clowns.
How many laypeople do you think KNOW or REMEMBER who Dai Vernon was.
You can be the greatest technical magician in the world but with no presentation you are nothing.
Go out next week and ask any person on the street that watched DL during magic week and ask them who was there favorite magician and what was his name. There reply will be oh the guy with live chicks under the cup not sure what else he did but that was cool o but I caught a glimpse of the orange he put under the cup. Before you tell me that was two different magicians...NO SHeeT but the person watching doesn't know.

OK you want HARSH. Criss Angel will always be more famous than you, me , John Carney, and God of magic himself DAI VERNON. Get a grip, it's only magic.
OH he said that , well he said that and she said.... , welcome to second grade.

"To stand behind a fence and holler over that someone is a LIAR? that is overly harsh in my book.

well, I am reminded why I don't spend much time over here... " All I have to say is bring back the Magic Circle Jerk!!!!!!!

"It was a great week for magic.period" For who? You?
If close up was so great they would have a show on close up every week.
Close up is a fill in while you wait for your food, in between celebrity guest, drunk patrons at a bar so you drink longer, to fool your co-workers and life of the party.
Ask any full time magician how ruff it is to make a living on magic. Maybe 2% make a good living. Why do you think that is. Because the client is weighing there option if they want the magician, clown, face painter, comic, story teller, pony rides, motivational speaker.

And DOC - aren't you the one who said awhile back that said don't expect to make a great living in magic unless your spouse is the money maker. Do it because you love it. There's no real money in magic.

Thanks to people like you.

Sincerely, Rodney
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2263 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-05-23 11:55, Powermagic wrote:
Why END with a gag? Did I miss something? He never showed his hands empty so it was a cute gag. He should have started or done that one second. The audience enjoyed the comedy but Letterman's word choice was probably because Ammar did not finish the effect by showing his hands empty. Heck, if he can vanish his phone he could have worked that out.

Because the audience LOVED it!!! Not every trick has to be a mind boggling, amazing miracle. The overall experience of Ammar’s performance was a fun, interesting and extremely entertaining. That’s it! It worked! He chose the perfect set.

PS: Gazzo, Will you post to the Café more often? You are a breath of fresh air!

PPS: My r**l is on the way!
www.KenNorthridge.com
Xpilot
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
464 Posts

Profile of Xpilot
Quote:
On 2010-05-23 09:41, jazzy snazzy wrote:
Brilliant marketing and a nice opportunity for those who like to perfom things that have been seen on national TV recently.

And what self-respecting magician doesn't want the opportunity to perform things that a good portion of their audience has likely seen someone else do recently?
Gazzo
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of Gazzo
LOOK GUYS THIS WAS NOT MY POST ORIGINALLY
ALL I SAID WAS THAT I AGREED WITH IT 100%
STILL DO

YOU GUYS NEED A LIFE!!!!!!
I was being SARCASTIC.
This whole thread is idiotic. Do you magicians really think any layperson in their right mind turn on David Letterman to watch magic? Or remembered what magician they liked? The reason there is magic week or stupid tricks/animal tricks or any other form of entertainment is a FILL IN. They tune in to watch an interview.
The sarcastic comment was a joke between half of you magi's saying John Carney said you can't tell the directors anything or your out , it's there way or the highway. Then the other half of the magi's said Steve told the David Letterman crew he wanted no overhead shot yada yada yada.
WHO F in CARES!!!!!!!
No wonder actors, comedians, broadway think magic is not an ART FORM and put us in the same class as clowns.
How many laypeople do you think KNOW or REMEMBER who Dai Vernon was.
You can be the greatest technical magician in the world but with no presentation you are nothing.
Go out next week and ask any person on the street that watched DL during magic week and ask them who was there favorite magician and what was his name. There reply will be oh the guy with live chicks under the cup not sure what else he did but that was cool o but I caught a glimpse of the orange he put under the cup. Before you tell me that was two different magicians...NO SHeeT but the person watching doesn't know.

OK you want HARSH. Criss Angel will always be more famous than you, me , John Carney, and God of magic himself DAI VERNON. Get a grip, it's only magic.
OH he said that , well he said that and she said.... , welcome to second grade.

AGAIN NOT MY POST JUST A BAD ATTEMPT TO TRY AND CUT AND PASTE
STILL NOT SURE HOW OR WHICH BUTTON TO HIT
Gazzo
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of Gazzo
Go to Page 11
scroll down past seven posts
you come to a post by Inidyis
not sure who this man is
but I really enjoyed the read
I tried to hit the quote button
and paste it
now everyone thinks I wrote it
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1659 Posts

Profile of David Todd
A few less than perfect moments perhaps, but overall a great week for magic to be featured on television. Not sure about the source of some of the acrimony and armchair quarterbacking that is being displayed in this thread. This whole week was a "win" for magic, imo.

Everyone seems to be weighing in with their "reviews" , so here I go with my .02 cents (even though I'm unworthy to tie any of these guy's shoes) ---

Ammar was great , but omigosh the line about "Tonight I've planned to do two Penetrations and two Vanishes" was very awkward . And then he repeated it when he pulled out the balloon! -- "Now for this next Penetration ..." Smile (more awkwardness.)

I thought that was an odd way to introduce the effects. It's sort of like he forgot he wasn't at a magic club meeting giving a lecture, so he fell into using magician's lingo (i.e. "Penetrations", "Vanishes" , "Productions", "Restoration" , etc. straight out of Fitzkee ) .

That was about the only rough spot in Ammar's set that maybe betrayed a hint of nervousness on his part . Otherwise he certainly looked like he was having the most fun of all the performers who appeared during Close-Up Magic Week. His choice of material worked really well given the camera angle restrictions of the performing conditions. Although I was a bit surprised he choose to do Pressure. That one has unfortunately been widely exposed on a certain video sharing site (rhymes with Loo-Rube) by the teenage "magic tutorial" geeks.

If I had to vote for my favorite magician of the week then I would vote for Steve Cohen, but I enjoyed seeing all of the performers. Johnny Ace Palmer: very smooth with his classic effects , totally fried Dave with the chicks. Very nice. Steve Cohen was sophisticated , cool , and presented a real head-scratcher. I loved how Cohen immediately asserted his dominance over the performance area, totally in control of the situation. John Carney was wonderful with technically demanding material , bad camera angles notwithstanding. Jason Randal , as others have pointed out , not in the same league as the others, was perhaps a bit nervous in the starting place for the week , but the audience seemed to like him a lot, even if his choice of material didn't make magicians swoon . (*Note to self: have a duplicate ungimmicked sleeve made up which can be switched in and handed-out for examination.)
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Quote:
On 2010-05-23 18:49, Xpilot wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-23 09:41, jazzy snazzy wrote:

And what self-respecting magician doesn't want the opportunity to perform things that a good portion of their audience has likely seen someone else do recently?

Well, I just prefer more of a surprise factor. Either change it up or retire it for a while. Not pleasant when someone says; "Oh yeah I saw 'so-and-so' do that on TV last week".
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Close-Up Magic Week on Letterman (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15~16~17~18~19..21~22~23 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL