The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Close-Up Magic Week on Letterman (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..16~17~18~19~20~21~22~23 [Next]
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2010-05-23 19:31, Gazzo wrote:
Go to Page 11
scroll down past seven posts
you come to a post by Inidyis
not sure who this man is
but I really enjoyed the read
I tried to hit the quote button
and paste it
now everyone thinks I wrote it

No need to copy and paste! Simply click on the Quote icon and then post any thing you wish AFTER this: [/quote] It happens. Believe me, I know, as I run and own a forum site for some years now although not magic related.
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
Gazzo
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of Gazzo
Quote:
On 2010-05-23 21:20, gaffed wrote:
Quote:
Go to Page 11
not sure who this man is
and paste it

You mean something like this.
Thanks.
Gazzo

No need to copy and paste! Simply click on the Quote icon and then post any thing you wish AFTER this:

[/quote]
Or this one
G.
Gazzo
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of Gazzo
Quote:
On 2010-05-23 21:26, Gazzo wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-23 21:20, gaffed wrote:
Quote:
Go to Page 11
not sure who this man is
and paste it

You mean something like this.
Thanks.
Gazzo

No need to copy and paste! Simply click on the Quote icon and then post any thing you wish AFTER this:

Or this one
G.
[/quote]
Not working for me
Thanks though
G.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2010-05-23 19:32, David Todd wrote:
(*Note to self: have a duplicate ungimmicked sleeve made up which can be switched in and handed-out for examination.)

I've been handling it that way since "WOW" came out. An un-gimmicked sleeve has been available for it shortly after "WOW" was released. Great effect IF handled properly and some justification is given as to why the sleeve is used and then.....switched out for the un-gimmicked one. I use a Mullica wallet.

Sorry, that's getting bit off thread and I have some comments on the cell phone in the balloon trick by Michael Ammar, but perhaps later.
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
Doc Eason
View Profile
V.I.P.
Aspen Colorado
428 Posts

Profile of Doc Eason
Further note to self... do not put one's laptop on the Masuda Wow sleeve. hello shrinky dink?

The answer to "can you do this without the sleeve?" is now "I guess I am gonna have to!" arrrgh.

I have never presented it to an audience and I guess I won't now until I come across another one...
Doc Eason’s Rocky Mountain Magic

PO Box 50 / Basalt CO 81621

doc@doceason.com

http://doceason.com

http://doceasonmagicshop.com
Doc Eason
View Profile
V.I.P.
Aspen Colorado
428 Posts

Profile of Doc Eason
Ooops...sorry ... meant to post this to a different thread...
Doc Eason’s Rocky Mountain Magic

PO Box 50 / Basalt CO 81621

doc@doceason.com

http://doceason.com

http://doceasonmagicshop.com
ricardo carpenter
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of ricardo carpenter
The penetrations line by Ammar was very good. It hooked Letterman.
Remember his apologizes about some sex affair?
So the magician is connected to the world, to the people.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6525 Posts

Profile of magicfish
No money in magic? At one point David Copperfield was the highest paid ENTERTAINER on earth. Lance Burton perfected a dove act and made one hundred million dollars. Criss Angel... well, nevermind, but ummmmm yes... There's money in magic. Oh and Ammar?.... Rich.
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
731 Posts

Profile of markmiller
There are exceptions to every rule. The vast majority of magicians on earth are not in the DC, LB, or CA category. Magicfush exactly how many millions are you worth today as the result of your work in magic?
Keith Runion
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of Keith Runion
Just a thought on the little hand...not my style but a lord of the rings theme would fit this pretty well vanish a ring you would need to find a hand that looks like gollum's
mrehula
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of mrehula
My six year old son and I played Ammar's 'coin vanish' over and over and over, giggling just as much the 30th time as we did the first time. It may be a 'stupid' trick, but his timing was perfect (within the trick as well as within his presentation). No better way to end close-up magic week on Letterman.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2010-05-24 12:15, markmiller wrote:
There are exceptions to every rule. The vast majority of magicians on earth are not in the DC, LB, or CA category. Magicfush exactly how many millions are you worth today as the result of your work in magic?

Well I'm certainly not among the rich! I had to stop changing one's onto fifties with Extreme Burn and only have them turn into fives! lol
~Yogi Berra~

Xpilot
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
464 Posts

Profile of Xpilot
Quote:
On 2010-05-24 12:15, markmiller wrote:

The vast majority of people on earth are not in the DC, LB or CA income bracket. So exactly what profession are you saying that multi-million dollar annual incomes are not the exception?
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6525 Posts

Profile of magicfish
My contention was nothing to do with millions, it was witha statement that there was no money in magic. Is 135 thousand per year money? -i say yes. A million? Yes. Seventy thousand per year? For card tricks? Absolutely! Of course there is money in magic. Why? Because its entertainment- show biz. And whether you're a singer, an acrobat, a fire breather, or a dancer, you can be flat broke, filthy rich, or anywhere in between.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-05-23 19:39, jazzy snazzy wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-23 18:49, Xpilot wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-23 09:41, jazzy snazzy wrote:
Brilliant marketing and a nice opportunity for those who like to perfom things that have been seen on national TV recently.

And what self-respecting magician doesn't want the opportunity to perform things that a good portion of their audience has likely seen someone else do recently?

Well, I just prefer more of a surprise factor. Either change it up or retire it for a while. Not pleasant when someone says; "Oh yeah I saw 'so-and-so' do that on TV last week".

I agree to a certain extent. I'm nervous about using a coconut as a hat load for the next few months.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Don't use a coconut.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
731 Posts

Profile of markmiller
...or a hat.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Fear not. The collective memory is short. It doesn't take very long before they forget the whole thing. Probably less than 1 in 5 people you encounter have seen this. I wonder how many hits Michael Ammar's website got after the show?

Little Hand won't have the impact that it used to, and silk through microphone will likely draw more scrutiny for some time. But you could always paint Letterman's face on the coconut.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2263 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Another note of interest about the little hand. At his lecture, Michael told us he was performing at one of President Obama’s Inaugural Ball’s, and he thought he might be asked to do something for the first couple. He did not get that opportunity but said if he did he had decided to do the little hand.

I guess when you’re Michael Ammar, you don’t have to prove yourself as a miracle worker, he already did that some 25 years ago.

The thing that impresses me about the silk though mug (chair, microphone stand, etc.) is you can do it over and over again and the audience still has no idea how its done. You can use super slow motion on your video, still, no clue. Now with the super quiet r**l you can do it right under their nose!

I’m not concerned about my image being tarnished by repeating something my audience may have seen on TV, I’m more concerned about giving my audience the most interesting and entertaining experience I possibly can. My audience/clients deserve to see close up miracles such as the silk through mug, regarless of its orginality, skill level, or whether its recently been on late night TV.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1418 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Ken I heard "Talking" the second time he did it! Maybe something else was talking but something did.
The second time he did not do it as smooth in the setup up. His hands stayed to long trying to get it set. It is not the way you would put a silk through the mug naturally. This one CAN NOT stand up to repeating over and over. I have Ammar on one of his tapes, I think the thread ones, and on super slow you can catch it.

But my point really is that the audience reaction was not stronger by his repeating it was weaker and the applause was forced and it gave more time for Letterman to make comments about it. Do not forget there is an applause sign at these shows (or someone to teach them they have to applaud since it is TV)

Ammar- I thought was a pro. A pro would not just repeat the same trick for the sake of it. He would advance it to look more complex, more impossible than the first time.

Take a routine he does use this concept in- Crazy Man Handcuffs. You NEVER do the penetration twice in the same way. The second time he will tend to make them hold one of the bands. I do this an it always keeps new interest, it is the same method but they are amazed since now one half is spectator controlled.

Just repeating the same effect in the same way was a bit of a downhill since they knew what was coming.
He could have maybe figured out how to do it with his leg or other object and THEN used the mug, a closed loop.

But the way Ammar was holding it, did make Letterman comment. He brought it out to soon. But I guess he did not know Letterman would banter so all Ammar did was play with it drawing too much attention to it.

As for the hand, is it a gag right? People here are still calling it a coin vanish. It was a gag people and while the audience got a kick out of it, there was no magic and thus Letterman's comments.
I would not have ended with it without being able to show both hands empty after. something a pro like him should have figured out.

I am not arguing whether it was entertainment.
I would have ended with the balloon not the hand.
But this was "close up magic week" not "close up comedy week"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Close-Up Magic Week on Letterman (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..16~17~18~19~20~21~22~23 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL