The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Close-Up Magic Week on Letterman (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..18~19~20~21~22~23 [Next]
The Old Man
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of The Old Man
Quote:
On 2010-05-26 19:29, RiffRaff wrote:
The only other conclusion that I can come to is that the director is so incompetent that he did not notice that the shot that he selected flashed the orange.

This all took place in less than one second. There was no way for a director to think: Let's see which camera should I call on next--I think I use my overhead--(looking at monitor in control booth)I believe, if I remember he's going to be pulling an orange out next--no it looks OK, "go overhead"--oh, oh, there's that orange, I guess I called it at the wrong time. Let's see, if I quickly change to another camera perhaps I'll be the only one who saw it--"go camera 2"--that's better now if only I remember where that coconut is going to be...

You're kidding right?
GJF
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of GJF
I just loved the little hand! Very funny, not magical but so what? Magicians throughout history have been doing stunts and gags along their magic walk. I like to think Letterman will bring back all five in the future and I hope to see the likes of some of our other favorites.
GJF
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of GJF
I just loved the little hand! Very funny, not magical but so what? Magicians throughout history have been doing stunts and gags along their magic walk. I like to think Letterman will bring back all five in the future and I hope to see the likes of some of our other favorites.
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1446 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
During his lecture last year Mr. Ammar stated that he recently performed at the White House for an event. He did not get to meet the President but stated if he did and he only had 30 seconds to do something, he would have done the baby hand!

It does instantly bring a smile to anyone who sees it.
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
The little hand has been around for awhile. It was called Magician's helper and was shorter.
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Quote:
On 2010-05-26 19:39, gaffed wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-26 15:21, ralphs007 wrote:
I can't understand how that trick can fool anyone.Especially when it's inflated after the penetration. It looks nothing like it should.

I think you mean DEFLATED. And yes, I really can't see how that could possibly fool anyone for that very fact. Three of my friends and a wife of one were not fooled by it at all. No, none of them has anything to do with magic. As a matter of fact, one of them even went so far as to try it out with a balloon and his iPod and said he managed to do it although it took about three or four tries. I have to admit, although I think MA is a top notch and a very innovative magician, and still do, that balloon trick left me totally cold.

Hi
I did mean inflated.After the phone penetrated the balloon, Mike inflated the balloon again. The balloon, looked nothing like it would have, had the phone really been inside of the balloon.
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2653 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
Each magician got a lot of support from the production staff.

I wouldn't necessarily say this, having read John Carney's comments on his experience. He seemed to be less than pleased with the "support" from the staff, and rightfully so.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
The Old Man
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of The Old Man
Quote:
On 2010-05-27 11:14, Andrewzuber wrote:
Quote:
Each magician got a lot of support from the production staff.

I wouldn't necessarily say this, having read John Carney's comments on his experience. He seemed to be less than pleased with the "support" from the staff, and rightfully so.

OK, I got my information from the Magic Newswire podcast Letterman wrapup episode. Seemed the performers got as much help as one could expect.

In regard to Letterman himself--though he was a favorite of Johnny Carson, he is the antithesis of him. Carson felt it was his job to make his guest look as good as possible. I can't recall Carson making one snide remark toward any guest. He took the word "guest" literally. He did not have a need to constantly be the center of attention. Those days are long gone.
paynow
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of paynow
Quote:
On 2010-05-26 18:36, The Old Man wrote:
I have no idea if you don't know what you're talking about or you have a faulty memory. Ernie Kovacs had a live comedy skit show like Your Show of Shows. He didn't have performers, he had cast members. In addition Steve Allen never treated guests like Dave Letterman. Letterman is the only talk show host I can think of who has treated a large number of people like ***s.

I've read every book on Ernie Kovacs that's ever been written. Any video that is available I own.

When Ernie first got on TV he hosted shows at WPTZ in Philadelphia, one in particular called "Deadline For Dinner". Cooks from local restaurants would come out and make something and the host would banter with them. It was originally hosted by someone else and one night that person got sick and they threw Ernie in as host. He re-christened the show "Dead Lion For Dinner" and spent the rest of its run cracking on the cooks, the same thing that Dave does now with those types of guests. The show was never serious again and they never brought back the original host because the audience went nuts for Ernie. There was a newscaster who used to break in during Ernie's morning show in Philly, and Kovacs would pour water on his head.

Then of course there was his famous character "Matzoh Hepplewhite, Itinerant Magician". Hilarious but not really flattering to magicians. Ernie hosted the "Tonight Show" in 1956 for several months when Steve Allen needed a break and one reason NBC didn't make him permanent when Allen left is because he would screw with the guests instead of interviewing them.

Letterman would have no career were it not for Kovacs and Allen; none of these guys would. Dave didn't treat anyone badly in my opinion. He was being Dave. And, while Steve Allen was nice to guests he would also goof on them on occasion.

Quote:
On 2010-05-26 18:48, jazzy snazzy wrote:
Letterman being equated with Ernie Kovacs and Steve Allen?

What I meant was the approaches have similarities.
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
633 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
Quote:
On 2010-05-27 00:40, The Old Man wrote:
Quote:
The only other conclusion that I can come to is that the director is so incompetent that he did not notice that the shot that he selected flashed the orange.

This all took place in less than one second. There was no way for a director to think: Let's see which camera should I call on next--I think I use my overhead--(looking at monitor in control booth)I believe, if I remember he's going to be pulling an orange out next--no it looks OK, "go overhead"--oh, oh, there's that orange, I guess I called it at the wrong time. Let's see, if I quickly change to another camera perhaps I'll be the only one who saw it--"go camera 2"--that's better now if only I remember where that coconut is going to be...

You're kidding right?

If I were kidding I'd say something like, 'what do you do with an elephant with three balls? ... you walk him and pitch to the rhino.'
The orange was flashed due to the selection of an unnatural angle.
Either the director saw it and decided to keep it, or he/she is too incompetent to notice the image they are capturing. If there is a third possibility you have not explained it clearly to me, Old Man.
The Old Man
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of The Old Man
Quote:
On 2010-05-27 11:53, paynow wrote:
When Ernie first got on TV he hosted shows at WPTZ in Philadelphia, one in particular called "Deadline For Dinner". Cooks from local restaurants would come out and make something and the host would banter with them. It was originally hosted by someone else and one night that person got sick and they threw Ernie in as host. He re-christened the show "Dead Lion For Dinner" and spent the rest of its run cracking on the cooks, the same thing that Dave does now with those types of guests. The show was never serious again and they never brought back the original host because the audience went nuts for Ernie. There was a newscaster who used to break in during Ernie's morning show in Philly, and Kovacs would pour water on his head.

I think most people would think of Kovac's national show. Not a local show, that at the time must have been seen by what--50,000 to 100,000 people? Again, Ernie Kovacs was known for his skits, not any talk shows.

Quote:
On 2010-05-27 12:43, RiffRaff wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-27 00:40, The Old Man wrote:
Quote:

You're kidding right?

If I were kidding I'd say something like, 'what do you do with an elephant with three balls? ... you walk him and pitch to the rhino.'
The orange was flashed due to the selection of an unnatural angle.
Either the director saw it and decided to keep it, or he/she is too incompetent to notice the image they are capturing. If there is a third possibility you have not explained it clearly to me, Old Man.

I'm sorry to go round and round with you on this, but again I think you're way overestimating the ability, or desire, of a "live" director to pick and choose shots. Again we are talking about a one or two second shot. Even if the shot was longer, which it wasn't, you'd still have the exposure, by the time you called a new angle, and the switcher did it, there would still be a second or two delay.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2653 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
All of this is the reason that John should have had more than a ten minute rehearsal to go through the routine. That's the entire point of camera rehearsals - to avoid these issues.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
paynow
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of paynow
Quote:
On 2010-05-27 13:04, The Old Man wrote:
I think most people would think of Kovac's national show. Not a local show, that at the time must have been seen by what--50,000 to 100,000 people? Again, Ernie Kovacs was known for his skits, not any talk shows.

Yes, that is true. But overall he was a very anarchic comic, like Dave. I Googled "ernie kovacs magic" (not in quotes) and came up with this, after some digging through the links:

http://erniekovacs.blogspot.com/2009/10/......nie.html

This is one production I've not seen or heard of. Interesting. The reviewer indicates that there was no interaction between Kovacs and the magicians but that it was probably because they were afraid of what he might do.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2010-05-27 11:04, ralphs007 wrote:
[
Hi
I did mean inflated.After the phone penetrated the balloon, Mike inflated the balloon again. The balloon, looked nothing like it would have, had the phone really been inside of the balloon.

Got ya...a misunderstanding on my part. I thought you were referring to the so called "penetration". Funny, as I was hoping to see the phone end up inside the inflated balloon. Now THAT would have been amazing! However, when he deflated it......so did I. Smile
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6529 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2010-05-27 17:29, gaffed wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-27 11:04, ralphs007 wrote:
[
Hi

Got ya...a misunderstanding on my part. I thought you were referring to the so called "penetration". Funny, as I was hoping to see the phone end up inside the inflated balloon. Now THAT would have been amazing! However, when he deflated it......so did I. Smile

This is without a doubt one of the weakest magic effects I've ever seen.

Rod
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
The disappointing thing to me is that MA is the one I was really looking forward to.
He has to be one of the most talented magicians we have with an amazing arsenal of effects. And yet, with all of that, he performed one of the most lamest looking effects I've ever seen with that cell phone and balloon. Make no mistake about it as I still think he is a great magician, but in my opinion, he certainly failed to show his amazing talent on the DL show.
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
I agree the cell phone and balloon was lame. His silk through mug should have only been shown once.
frimuraren12
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of frimuraren12
I think all of them picked pretty bad material.

I mean, why pick material that has the potential to flash with cameras everywhere etc? Im pretty sure all of these gentlemens had lots of other material that would be better suited for TV.

Everyone I spoke with said that the magicians looked cheesy and lame, just people in the magic world that thinks they are good.

They should really have sent someone who are cool and can make magic look good and current and give it a good name. Criss Angel and David Blaine would be the right men for the job.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5707 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2010-06-04 10:18, frimuraren12 wrote:
I think all of them picked pretty bad material.

I mean, why pick material that has the potential to flash with cameras everywhere etc? Im pretty sure all of these gentlemens had lots of other material that would be better suited for TV.

Everyone I spoke with said that the magicians looked cheesy and lame, just people in the magic world that thinks they are good.

They should really have sent someone who are cool and can make magic look good and current and give it a good name. Criss Angel and David Blaine would be the right men for the job.

You guys putting the performances down haven't done much TV work have you? Especially a big show like Letterman where the Producer's (and Letterman) have an agenda of their own.

If you have, then you would know that the Magicians have little power to insist on what they WANT to perform.

When you do Magic on Letterman, you do better ok?

ALL THE BEST. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
frimuraren12
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of frimuraren12
I cant understand how some people can say that the magicians were treated badly and did not get much rehearshal etc and did not get enough respect and so on.

Do you think other performers do?

I have worked on a few TV shows and when musicians are on they are lucky to get to soundscheck the song once. If you are Mick Jagger or Bruce Springsteen you might get 10 minutes and they are people who are way "above" Dave and sells out an 100.000 seat arena in 30 minutes.

Posted: Jun 4, 2010 11:39am
And YES I would do better. The old farts have to go and some new faces needs to be seen.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Close-Up Magic Week on Letterman (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..18~19~20~21~22~23 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL