The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Close-Up Magic Week on Letterman (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19~20~21~22~23 [Next]
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2010-06-04 11:39, frimuraren12 wrote:
And YES I would do better. The old farts have to go and some new faces needs to be seen.

Show us a Video of your performance.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Your best performances so far frimuraren12...
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Well, he seems quite talented with the keyboard and I would tend to think that is about the extent of it. So, they are all old farts and should have been replaced with Criss Angel! Smile I'm afraid that wouldn't work for him as there is no video editing, special effects and paid spectators on the DL show.
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2640 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On 2010-06-04 11:38, frimuraren12 wrote:
I cant understand how some people can say that the magicians were treated badly and did not get much rehearshal etc and did not get enough respect and so on.

Do you think other performers do?

I have worked on a few tv shows and when musicians are on they are lucky to get to soundschek the song once. If you are Mick Jagger or Bruce Springsteen you might get 10 minutes and they are people who are way "above" Dave and sells out an 100.000 seat arena in 30 minutes.

This is incorrect. I worked on The Tonight Show (you know, the other late night program) for years, and the entire morning was devoted to sound checking musicians and checking camera angles. Their call was at 10 in the morning and they rehearsed until lunch, ate, then came back and rehearsed again until 2.

I'm not sure what public access talk show you're referring to, but in network TV, I don't care if it was some unknown kid singing acapella - musicians were all given plenty of time to rehearse.

I'm with the others...put your money where your mouth is and let's see a performance or two before bashing the "old farts" that were doing card tricks before Criss Angel was even born.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
frimuraren12
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of frimuraren12
Dude don't take it so hard.

Its a fact, they are old farts doing old fart magic. Magic have to change just like movies and music and comedy. Try to tell a joke from the 50s and see how it plays for a younger crowd.

To become a great magician today there are so much more then magic you need to have. You have to look cool, have the right attitude, get cool cloths, hit the gym so you get a great body with muscles etc so you look cool. You cant look like an old fart.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Perhaps take a good look at his other posts on other threads and I’m sure you’ll realize what is going on here.
He referred to Jason Randall, John Carney, Johnny “Ace” Palmer, Steven Cohen and Michael Ammar as “old farts” and unable to make magic look “cool”. That, and aside from the fact, that he also states that can perform better than them. Now, can we all spell TROLL, ignore, and then perhaps he’ll go back to posting to the kiddies on You Tube. I imagine that when he comes out with this card effect that will stun the entire magic community it will be posted on You Tube under the name of something like; “How to do my Magik Trik”. Other than that, I’ll have to admit he is entertaining to say the least, delusional perhaps, but entertaining.

His quotes as to the magicians that I mentioned who performed on the David Letterman show just recently.

Quote:
On 2010-06-04 10:18, frimuraren12 wrote

They should really have sent someone who are cool and can make magic look good and current and give it a good name. Criss Angel and David Blaine would be the right men for the job.

Quote:
On 2010-06-04 11:39, frimuraren12 wrote:
And YES I would do better. The old farts have to go and some new faces needs to be seen.

And of course my favorite!
Quote:
On 2010-06-02 01:55, frimuraren12 wrote:

Well me and my friend are teaming up to make the Teleportation DVD. We are like the Paul Mccartney/John Lennon or Mick Jagger/Keith Richards of magic.
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2640 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
You must be a comedian on the side; your posts are hilarious. My guess is that you're not old enough to have ever visited the Magic Castle, but I will tell you that in that environment, the place where the best of the best perform, a suit and tie are required to even walk through the door. Why? Because a magician who truly "looks cool" is one that performs well. If you're worried about hip clothing and muscles, you are pursuing the wrong hobby. Do you think Dai Vernon, John Robert-Houdin, or countless others cared about looking cool? You ought to have respect for the people that laid the groundwork on which magicians perform. Pretty easy to criticize performers from the safety of your keyboard.
I would suggest if you want to be taken seriously on this forum, you learn proper spelling and grammar before you post. Then, at least the nonsense you're sharing with us would be readable.

Posted: Jun 4, 2010 3:26pm
Gaffed - I did enjoy that last quote from the center deal thread. I rarely run into anyone as sarcastic as I am, yet even I couldn't pull that one off with a straight face.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
frimuraren12
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of frimuraren12
Quote:
On 2010-06-04 15:24, Andrewzuber wrote:
cared about looking cool?

that's the problem. Magicians are not cool but we need to be to become well respected. Actors, musicians etc all cares about that, how the look, their image etc. You know?

I don't care how good you are at something, if you look like an Old fart then you are just an Old fart for your audience. Nothing more nothing less.

No I'm not a troll, I'm serious. I know it hurts you guys but someone had to stand up and tell the truth. I cant let you live in your fantasy world where you think its ok to just have a good trick. lay people all over the world thinks magic is chessy right now. Just look and comments on youtube and other forums where lay people comment. THEY LAUGH at us, think we are chessy and that the magicians on letterman were.

You need good looks, muscles and cool cloths, AND good magic ofcourse. Then we would bring magic the respect it deserves.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2640 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Again, when you hit 21, try and visit the Magic Castle. I've taken plenty of lay people there, people in their early 20s, and they are very impressed by what they see. To many magicians, Criss Angel is a joke (and his show doesn't do all that well - they've even cut all of his dancers from the act.) Do I have a show in Vegas? Not even close...but I've seen what works. You'll be hard pressed to find bad reviews of Lance Burton's show, and many feel that Mac King (who looks like a geek and wears a plaid suit) has the best show on the Strip.

It would be in your best interest to be more modest with your comments. I read the thread on center deals, and frankly you should be humbled and in awe of the fact that you were exchanging posts with Harry Lorayne, one of the most respected performers in the business. Guys like that don't brag or talk down to others - they let their work speak for them. Until you have some proof that you know what you're talking about and it's working for you, I would suggest you do a little more reading and a little less typing. There is a wealth of knowledge on this board, and the people sharing their advice and wisdom are a valuable resource. Until you've worked Letterman, or the Castle, or the Magic Circle, or any other number of top-notch venues, keep your confidence in check.

As Gaffed mentioned, I too suspect you're a troll. If that's your game, tone it down a little. You're making it too obvious.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Frimuraren12, where is your Video?

I am calling you out on this.

Or are you afraid to show yourself?
frimuraren12
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of frimuraren12
Whats the problem me not liking Carney and the other guys? The only one who had style was Ammar.

And who cares if Criss is a joke to other magicians? Who cares if your respected by other magicians? Its about performing for your audience.

Criss Angel and David Blaine and Copperfield is the best magicians in the world? Why? Because they have the most success, sold the most tickets, had most people watch them and like them.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2640 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
You should see Carney live some day - he is FANTASTIC. His one-man show in Los Angeles was one of the best presentations I have ever seen, and his Castle act is incredible as well.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2010-06-04 15:26, Andrewzuber wrote:
Gaffed - I did enjoy that last quote from the center deal thread. I rarely run into anyone as sarcastic as I am, yet even I couldn't pull that one off with a straight face.

Seems as though I goofed! I had meant to place that post on the Center Deal thread and not here! Oh well....just about the same nonsense happening here from this kid and also there. Also, I find it rather odd that he would consider someone such as Michael Ammar as old, but yet, not Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones! Isn't Keith Richards the guy who is dead but someone forgot to tell him? Smile
~Yogi Berra~

Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I am talking directly to you Frimuraren12, where is your Video?
frimuraren12
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of frimuraren12
Quote:
On 2010-06-04 16:17, gaffed wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-06-04 15:26, Andrewzuber wrote:

Seems as though I goofed! I had meant to place that post on the Center Deal thread and not here! Oh well....just about the same nonsense happening here from this kid and also there. Also, I find it rather odd that he would consider someone such as Michael Ammar as old, but yet, not Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones! Isn't Keith Richards the guy who is dead but someone forgot to tell him? Smile

You should give a deck to someone as cool as keith richards. A real performer like him would blow someone like carney away with some crappy old trick.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2640 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I think it's time you show us your disappearing act.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
HEY frimuraren12!

No Video of you performing Magic?

After all that showing off how others are no good, you have no Video?

I thought so.

TROLL.

Consider yourself busted.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2531 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Quote:
On 2010-06-04 16:11, frimuraren12 wrote:
Criss Angel and David Blaine and Copperfield is the best magicians in the world? Why? Because they have the most success, sold the most tickets, had most people watch them and like them.

Using the same logic, McDonalds must make the best hamburgers in the world. Why? Because they have had the most success, sold more hamburgers than anyone else, and had the most people eat them and like them.

Or, maybe your argument is full of hot air. At the very least, I think that you and I have very different ideas about what we mean when we say 'best magician.'
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
God, I feel so depressed and disillusioned now. After 30 plus years of doing magic I now find out that talent means nothing and I’ve been going about it the wrong way. I’m 63, so that obviously makes me an old fart. I’m certainly not buffed, so again, I’m a failure. I don’t think at my age I would ever get away with wearing fourteen rings, a necklace made out of handcuffs or a dog chain, and miniature handcuffs for earrings although….I do have a pierced ear and wear a small gold earring at times! Even then, I’ll never make the cut as I haven’t invented a card manipulation that will turn the entire magic community over on its collective head. Not only that, but such a new and amazing effect that is so astounding that everyone on the Magic Café is too ignorant or too immature in the ways of magic to be ready for it yet. Might as well place my old TT, T.V Magic cards, etc. and place them back in my worn out Tricky Pete Magic box and give it all up. Let’s face it people, now that this new kid has come along to show us the errors of our ways and our total lack of magic expertise and how to go about it, and yes, even the long time well established professionals……..we’re ALL washed up. I guess about the only thing I still have at least is some semblance as how to use proper grammar. Then again, that isn’t magic is it, but just a stupid old thing called an education. Who needs that when your cool looking and buffed.
Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. Smile
~Yogi Berra~

gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2010-06-04 01:21, frimuraren12 wrote:
I can clearly understand that the magic community is not ready for the teleportation deal, your simply not there yet. Me and my friend has made some re thinking after this and we will hold it on until the future when we hope people get ready and better at magic so they can be ready for the power that the teleportation deal gives you.

Good Lord….I believe he has actually teleported himself off the site! And to think us foolish ignorant people had the temerity to doubt him! Now I’m really frightened of his omniscient powers!

Well, you can’t say he didn’t warn us! Smile
~Yogi Berra~

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Close-Up Magic Week on Letterman (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19~20~21~22~23 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL