The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Close-Up Magic Week on Letterman (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7..21~22~23 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20433 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Your first mistake is to think it is all about the "MAGIC". A good portion of that audience tunes in to see Letterman.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TKO MAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of TKO MAGIC
Quote:
On 2010-05-19 11:29, Dannydoyle wrote:
Your first mistake is to think it is all about the "MAGIC". A good portion of that audience tunes in to see Letterman.

Exactly, you are an entertainer first. Any one can do a trick, I think Matthew Fox proved that.
bobbyk
View Profile
Special user
Tennessee
698 Posts

Profile of bobbyk
Quote:
On 2010-05-19 11:31, TKO MAGIC wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-19 11:29, Dannydoyle wrote:

Exactly, you are an entertainer first. Any one can do a trick, I think Matthew Fox proved that.

Amen to that.... It's Dave's job to be funny, topical etc. it's not his job to make the performer look good...that's the performers job.

It would be nice if they all were like Carson was...He really liked to showcase a Magicians performance. But that was then and this is now...no one to blame accept ourselves. If You are given a shot...then it's up to you! Smile
Doc Eason
View Profile
V.I.P.
Aspen Colorado
428 Posts

Profile of Doc Eason
Quote:
, Dannydoyle

Quite right Danny, neither of them engaged DL first to any degree. Walk out, shake hands, sit down and "do a trick magic boy'. sheesh.. that is tough...

The positive comments on Randall were mainly about his quips and the interaction - moving the coffee cup etc.

His magic sucked, but if he scored at all with the punters it was because of the NON magic parts of his appearance.

Seems there is a lesson there... hmm?
Doc Eason’s Rocky Mountain Magic

PO Box 50 / Basalt CO 81621

doc@doceason.com

http://doceason.com

http://doceasonmagicshop.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13401 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2010-05-19 11:27, bobbyk wrote:
That doesn't mean anything was exposed deliberately....

There's more than one camera rolling and the editor decided to choose the angle that was looking down from above where the load was coming from just as he did the load.

That's exposing the load deliberately.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
bobbyk
View Profile
Special user
Tennessee
698 Posts

Profile of bobbyk
Quote:
On 2010-05-19 11:44, Frank Starsini wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-19 11:27, bobbyk wrote:
That doesn't mean anything was exposed deliberately....

There's more than one camera rolling and the editor decided to choose the angle that was looking down from above where the load was coming from just as he did the load.

That's exposing the load deliberately.

I wasn't present in the editing session... Certainly they picked the shot...but I don't know that they were purposely trying to expose anything... Do we really know what the other shots or angles would have shown? could they have even been worse? I don't know... but again, if you are leaving your performance up to an editor, cameraman etc... then you are making a big mistake.

I have a difficult time believing that they are sitting around saying..."I wonder if we can find a shot that will expose his trick".... If that's whats happening...why ever go on? Having sat in on various editing sessions (not Letterman)....I can tell you that they are turning around stuff very quickly at times and they are not generally trying to make performers look bad....
TKO MAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of TKO MAGIC
Quote:
On 2010-05-19 11:41, doceason wrote:
Quote:
, Dannydoyle

Quite right Danny, neither of them engaged DL first to any degree. Walk out, shake hands, sit down and "do a trick magic boy'. sheesh.. that is tough...

The positive comments on Randall were mainly about his quips and the interaction - moving the coffee cup etc.

His magic sucked, but if he scored at all with the punters it was because of the NON magic parts of his appearance.

Seems there is a lesson there... hmm?

I agree Doc, a big lesson here.
I couldn't believe the guys at work liked Randall better than Carney.
paynow
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of paynow
The fact that Randall did Wow!, an overused trick that screams gimmick, was bad enough. Why, however, would anyone take "Royal Scam" and add a gimmick to it? It's so good on it's own with no wallet. Let John Bannon go on there and do it. I just don't get it. Is this supposed to be adding to the trick and making it your own?

Dave is Dave; it's a comedy show. He's doing the same stuff Ernie Kovacs and to a lesser extent Steve Allen used to do with performers. I really don't think he was treating him unfairly. It's about their schtick and not the performer. You have to be able to adapt. I know I would be a basket case and of course I'll never get the opportunity to be. Maybe going on and doing screw up magic ala Ballantine is the way to go on those shows, but of course that defeats the purpose of promoting the art.

I can't wait to see Cohen and Ammar.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I was booked to be on the TONIGHT SHOW with Johnny Carson. There was a schedule conflict (my schedule) and I was not able to do the show. In a way I was glad to miss it as I figured I would have been so nervous that I would have blown it. I was thrilled to be asked, but in a way glad I didn't have to do it.

I do think the conditions at Letterman's working on the corner of a desk with you chair on a dopey angle is really awful.

Some have said Ricky Jay or Gazzo would prevail. My guess is they would have INSISTED on a different working area.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Oh, and my wife was watching with me and did NOT see the Orange load. A thought for any of you doing loads like that. DO NOT USE SOMETHING BRIGHT ORANGE OR YELLOW ... think flesh color... like a potato or an onion.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2532 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
As expected, Doc Eason has nailed it. In general, making magic look good on video is extremely difficult. And the non-magic portions of the show 'make it or break it.'

At Magic Con in San Diego, I saw John perform the same routine that he did on Letterman last night. On that occasion, the routine was razor sharp, and it fooled the 250-300 people who saw it. John received a spontaneous standing ovation. (At this particular gathering, two of the magicians received standing ovations during the weekend: John Carney and Juan Tamariz.)

Here are a few of the positive things that I saw in the performance:

1. John didn't do a card trick.
2. The magic was about something.
3. John's routine was his own stuff, not a trick created by someone else.
4. The routine is brilliantly constructed.
5. Letterman's interactions with John didn't wreck the trick.

Perhaps TKO and teevee could tell us a bit about their magical background and experience so that all of us can better understand where they're coming from. They could start by introducing themselves and letting us know their names. (It's so easy to be an armchair magician when you can hide behind your anonymity on the internet.)
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
bobbyk
View Profile
Special user
Tennessee
698 Posts

Profile of bobbyk
Quote:
On 2010-05-19 12:25, Pete Biro wrote:
I was booked to be on the TONIGHT SHOW with Johnny Carson. There was a schedule conflict (my schedule) and I was not able to do the show. In a way I was glad to miss it as I figured I would have been so nervous that I would have blown it. I was thrilled to be asked, but in a way glad I didn't have to do it.

I do think the conditions at Letterman's working on the corner of a desk with you chair on a dopey angle is really awful.

Some have said Ricky Jay or Gazzo would prevail. My guess is they would have INSISTED on a different working area.

I remember many times Carson would have the Performer at his own table and Carson would walk over, sit down and be entertained with the rest of the audience. Unfortunately, even with the increased interest in Magic over the last few years....these guys simply don't seem to care enough to allow the Close up performers their own space. Not sure why...it would seem to be better for all. Performing off the corner of that desk from that chair would seem to be tough duty at best.... Bad place to try and do Cup & ball routine etc.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20433 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Close-up magicians have trouble on TV because it shrinks perceptions, while with todays technology it focuses them and enlarges them.

What I mean is misdirection for close-up can involve a whole room. The whole, large movement covers the small movement thingie. Great. On TV you are on this little box so those large movements are not so large in the first place, and look stupid. Now all perceptions are in this little box, which with the technology of today is NOT SO LITTLE ANY MORE but magnified to greater than life sized. A small flash that goes unnoticed in life, is amplified and sent out in HD and bamo you are a hack.

This makes close-up magic tough on Tv, and even tougher to actually entertain with. I guess this is where the "engaging the host" lesson comes in handy.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
paynow
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of paynow
One thing that I haven't seen mentioned (or maybe I missed it). Carson started out as a magician so my assumption is that he would have had enormous respect and empathy for anyone that would have to go on national TV to perform it.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2532 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Oh, and for what it's worth, the people in my workplace thought that John Carney was at least an order of magnitude better than Jason Randal. As always, your mileage may vary, etc.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
spcarlson
View Profile
Veteran user
Minneapolis MN
360 Posts

Profile of spcarlson
I’ve heard of Armchair Quarterbacking, is there such a thing as Armchair Magishing?
Legendary Creations

from Merlin to Marilyn

www.MagicalArtCreations.com

www.StevenPaulCarlson.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20433 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I do not have an opinion on better or not, or even if they were good or not. I was simply speaking of the limitations of the medium.

Which incidently is not armchair anything.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
bobbyk
View Profile
Special user
Tennessee
698 Posts

Profile of bobbyk
Quote:
On 2010-05-19 12:27, Pete Biro wrote:
Oh, and my wife was watching with me and did NOT see the Orange load. A thought for any of you doing loads like that. DO NOT USE SOMETHING BRIGHT ORANGE OR YELLOW ... think flesh color... like a potato or an onion.

GREAT POINT! I noticed that few have mentioned that the COCONUT was also flashed. I didn't see it until I re-ran the segment. I purposely went back looking for the coconut load because I never saw it... but it was flashed same as the orange... but yet the orange was shouting at us while the coconut slipped right by me.... again, GREAT POINT.
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
It's really positive that there is a showcase on TV for close-up magic on such a high profile chat show. I think the performances so far have been enjoyable and informative. They remind us that we need to have absolutely mastered prop handling, our script, and responses to possible audience questions. Also we need to select material that suits the environment we are in perfectly, and either adapt to the conditions we are given (and not complain after the event) or specify how we want it to be, if we're able to do so. That's a lot to think about for a TV performance! Looking forward to the rest of the week Smile
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
634 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
Quote:
On 2010-05-19 11:02, TKO MAGIC wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-19 10:58, RiffRaff wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-19 10:27, doceason wrote:
Tuesday, the camera man 'screwed the pooch'.

The show is not shown live, it's taped.
The editors and producers select the shots.
The Letterman Show deliberately selected a shot that would expose the trick.
You don't see them using an overhead shot when they have an actress on the couch do you?
...If they did I'd be a loyal viewer.

AAHHH, yes they do show shots from above sometimes.
A magician has to be very misguided thinking there wouldn't be a camera over yourself. YOU"RE ON TV

I just watched Kate Bekinsale and Jessica Simpson interviews on Letterman. Neither one had the overhead shot. Darn!

Anyway, here's Carney:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rOBjmLHxgQ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Close-Up Magic Week on Letterman (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7..21~22~23 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL