The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Close-Up Magic Week on Letterman (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15~16..21~22~23 [Next]
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6308 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2010-05-21 13:52, inidyls wrote:
It sounds like Steve Cohen did his homework , put a lot of thought into it, researched it , took control of the directors, Got help from fellow magicians , studied the show earlier in the work.

Lesson here???? Be prepared

I lost a lot of respect for John Carney. Making excuses saying it was out of my control and the "easy ... from an armchair at home comment." That was lame!!!
Be the expert and professional you say you are , everybody makes mistakes, own up to them.
Maybe you should have went the same route Steve did?

I loved your performance on Letterman the most, Just be humble. No excuses, we are only human. Everybody makes mistakes.

Carney doesn't call himself an expert and a professional- we do- because he is. Perhaps you should read his words again. A) he got a horrible camera angle. B) were you watching the effect as a layman would or were you staring at his hand waiting for the load?

Fish
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Ammar! My man!
Well you did good. good. But...You didn't have a good routine.
What the heck! Pressure was a good choice. The opening bit with
the scarf sucked. Looks good, but Dave wanted to examine it, and
couldn't. He even dogged it later when talking to Ashton Kutcher.

Ok so I was unimpressed with magic week. 5 chances to WOW America
with some great close-up magic. And I think we fell short of that
mark.

Bummer.

Could I have done better? Hard to say, but I couldn't have done any worse!
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6308 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2010-05-22 00:32, Chad Sanborn wrote:
Ammar! My man!
Well you did good. good. But...You didn't have a good routine.
What the heck! Pressure was a good choice. The opening bit with
the scarf sucked. Looks good, but Dave wanted to examine it, and
couldn't. He even dogged it later when talking to Ashton Kutcher.

Ok so I was unimpressed with magic week. 5 chances to WOW America
with some great close-up magic. And I think we fell short of that
mark.

Bummer.

Could I have done better? Hard to say, but I couldn't have done any worse!


The scarf trick was by far the best thing he did. It didn't matter that it wasn't inspected. A scarf- with no cover- VISIBLY penetrated through Dave's mug! I remember as a kid seeing Buddy Farnan do this through a mike stand. I know how its done and you know how its done, but that doesn't matter. Do you forget what this looks like to layman eyes? Its impossible.

Rod
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Quote:
On 2010-05-22 00:51, magicfish wrote:


The scarf trick was by far the best thing he did. It didn't matter that it wasn't inspected. A scarf- with no cover- VISIBLY penetrated through Dave's mug! I remember as a kid seeing Buddy Farnan do this through a mike stand. I know how its done and you know how its done, but that doesn't matter. Do you forget what this looks like to layman eyes? Its impossible.

Rod


that's why Dave made degrading comments about it later in the show to Ashton Kutcher.
It was a good trick, but again the wrong one for this show.
arizona
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of arizona
I agree that it's all about the laymen and they view magic differently as evident by them liking Randall more. So I'm not going to say anything about his performance this week. I do want to add that his first 3 appearances were pretty good maybe it was because he was using his bread and butter stuff which he's polished over his career.

The flashes. When the orange flash occured I saw it barely the first time around but didn't think anything of it because Carney had my attention. I guess there was a lot of posters on Lettermans forum claiming to have seen this and that I would bet a great percentage of them studied the clips over and over. I for one didn' see balls tucked in the sofa chair and I watched all the performances twice, once live and then the next day. And I did not hear any chirping during Palmers performance. A squeek once but I didn't think it had anything to do with what was going on during Palmers set. But I also wasn't fully at attention when it was being aired live there were kids in the room and the volume on my tv wasn't adjusted with the kids and others in the room. Live in person these magicians would probably be 200 percent (lol) better, in complete control of us. It's how its been when I seen some the big names at conventions or lectures.

But all in all I enjoyed this week and it was an entertaining close up week on Letterman. It would have been cool if Cyril was one the performers this week.
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
992 Posts

Profile of Gianni
Quote:
On 2010-05-22 00:16, ThomasJ wrote:
... I enjoyed the phone vanish though.


I thought Ammar did a terrific job. He was so easy going and relaxed that it added to the enjoyment.

I, too, loved the cell phone vanish, but D**N that DVR (TIVO to some). Yes, I could not resist, and went back to look at it again frame by frame, as any audience member with the TIVO can do. And in just one frame you saw the move.

I think these guys must be credited with withstanding enormous pressure. I wonder, however, how much close-up magic can withstand the scrutiny of modern appliances.

Gianni
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1907 Posts

Profile of ted french
I havent read all the post but am the only one that sees how difficult it is to perform sitting down to the side and cramped? It would be like doing magic in a phone booth.
P3
practice practice perform.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Quote:
On 2010-05-22 01:18, Gianni wrote:
I wonder, however, how much close-up magic can withstand the scrutiny of modern appliances.

Almost none.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
CarlEJones
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, Texas
448 Posts

Profile of CarlEJones
I think you hit the nail on the head with your statement! Good observation!

Posted: May 22, 2010 1:19am                 
I havent read all the post but am the only one that sees how difficult it is to perform sitting down to the side and cramped? It would be like doing magic in a phone booth.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6308 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2010-05-22 01:08, Chad Sanborn wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-22 00:51, magicfish wrote:


The scarf trick was by far the best thing he did. It didn't matter that it wasn't inspected. A scarf- with no cover- VISIBLY penetrated through Dave's mug! I remember as a kid seeing Buddy Farnan do this through a mike stand. I know how its done and you know how its done, but that doesn't matter. Do you forget what this looks like to layman eyes? Its impossible.

Rod


that's why Dave made degrading comments about it later in the show to Ashton Kutcher.
It was a good trick, but again the wrong one for this show.


Letterman made degrading comments about it because he's David Letterman- that's how he makes his living. Secondly, Kutcher didn't pull out a balloon, or an I phone, or a baby dolls hand,he pulled out a large sheet or what originally looked like a white scarf. Letterman made the link in an attempt at humour- again, that's his job. The scarf bit perfect for the show.

Rod
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
2704 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Okay Don't get all over me here I think Ammar is Awesome but I feel he choose these effects for one reason To sell them at his lectures . Like I said Don't get all over me for saying this but he should have performed his signature effects . I have to say he comes in last very disapointed !!
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
2704 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Carney & Palmer were the best performances What do you guys Think ?
Algebra2
View Profile
Regular user
CA
156 Posts

Profile of Algebra2
Where can I find the name of the silk effect through mug?
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Quote:
...I feel he choose these effects for one reason To sell them at his lectures...


Quote:
Where can I find the name of the silk effect through mug?


tophatter should be the first booked for Mentalist Week Smile
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
2704 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Destiny That Is To Funny !
arizona
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of arizona
Quote:
On 2010-05-22 01:26, jazzy snazzy wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-22 01:18, Gianni wrote:
I wonder, however, how much close-up magic can withstand the scrutiny of modern appliances.

Almost none.


I think I would have done Jennings Oil and Water because I haven't seen anyone doing it on TV and it allows for some byplay and interaction between each separation. And I also would have done coins with the last coin traveling into Dave's closed fist then do Jennings coin thru hand. I believe none these TiVo would catch. Oil and Water I believe would just be guessed as card handling even slowed down.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6308 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2010-05-22 03:30, Algebra2 wrote:
Where can I find the name of the silk effect through mug?

Its called "the silk through mug"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20019 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is also possible that Dave himself is learning how to get the most out of magicians. Being the first one in the series may not have been a position I would have wanted.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2406 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
I would not want to have to face the challenges these magicians had to. Turning to your side and performing on a high desk while Letterman breaks your flow. Then there is the studio audience over your right shoulder and a camera shooting you from above. Not a lot of safe angles in that situation. Kudos to the magicians who could get away with anything in that situation.
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
It's been heartening to see a close-up magic week; probably the biggest talk show here in the UK is Friday Night with Jonathan Ross on BBC1. Whilst he gets a lot of repeat appearances from quite a few of his guests, to my knowledge there have only ever been two magicians on the show, once each. He had Derren Brown on once way back in early 2003, before his Russian Roulette special had aired. Then Dynamo made a short appearance 3 years ago. There's hardly any air time for close-up magic at all here, sadly.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Close-Up Magic Week on Letterman (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15~16..21~22~23 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL