The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Close-Up Magic Week on Letterman (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..17~18~19~20~21~22~23 [Next]
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2643 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Ammar is smart. He ended with the hand because, while it may be a "gag," it's one of the last things people will remember when they think back on the week. Some are saying that he's merely doing what he does in his lectures...well that's because we've SEEN his lecture - we know what he does. What difference does it make if he does it in a lecture, or if he's trying to sell a few items in the process? He's making a living just like everyone else. I think his performance had a modern touch...using the iPhone for instance was something we hadn't seen the rest of the week. People give Johnny Ace Palmer a hard time because he did what he's been doing for years, then they're disappointed in Ammar's spot because he DIDN'T do what he's been doing for years.

And for the record, the guy that posted this nonsense:
"OK you want HARSH. Criss Angel will always be more famous than you, me , John Carney, and God of magic himself DAI VERNON. Get a grip, it's only magic.
OH he said that , well he said that and she said.... , welcome to second grade"
...doesn't belong on this forum. His whole post was disgusting. What's he doing posting is a magic forum anyway?
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
ropeadope
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
453 Posts

Profile of ropeadope
Loved `em all! Great for magic. I believe the laymen & Letterman were fooled and entertained by most all of the magicians and effects.

Some say JR looked nervous and could have used more practice and a better selection. I believe also about the selection and practice, but as far as his nervousness is concerned, I`ve seen his other 7 appearances on Letterman`s show and he always looks that way to me, but you have to admit he has a great smile! The other times I believe he was better. But of all 5 entertainers I believe that JR will be the one that will be asked to come back again because Letterman seemed to smile,laugh and enjoy JR more, especially their good nature ribbing. On one of JR`s past performances at the end of his Jumping Gems routine. Letterman asked JR " If I had those little sticks, could I do that?" JR`s response "Yes, but in your hands they`d just be sticks!" After Magic Close up week I believe Letterman may be interested in joining us in our art and may be in fact taking lessons now!

Have fun!

John
Nothing is better than more.
paynow
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of paynow
Quote:
On 2010-05-25 12:48, ropeadope wrote:

After Magic Close up week I believe Letterman may be interested in joining us in our art and may be in fact taking lessons now!

Have fun!

John


Very interesting point. I think if Letterman had taken up magic and become good at it he would have been quite entertaining given his personality.
TKO MAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of TKO MAGIC
Ok , I was lucky enough to get invited to the Flyers club suite box and after party last night. I was performing for people I never met before. I was fascinated and disturbed by how many people came up to me and asked me if I watched David Letterman the past week (and what I thought of Criss Angel). Of course I replied yes and I asked them what they thought.
The #1 reply by minimum of 15 people said it was all right. I pushed further and asked why just all right? They all said in one way or another it was kind of corny. I asked why do you say that. There reply again I don't know not sure. I was stunned. Then I asked if they watched everynight or just one magician. The majority of the people watched Tues, Wed, Thurs. Nobody for some reason watched Ammar on Friday????????
When I asked out of the three nights who did they like most I don't want to say word by word for good reasons but they were fooled by Johnny Ace Palmer chicks under the cups. They were stumped. I told them that is one of my favorite tricks. Then by surprise every person there (please don't shoot the messenger) did not like Carney's routine. I said really? The majority of the people actually said yeah I seen that orange that guy was trying to hide,two people actually said that guy needs practice. I was stunned when I heard that. Carney is my favorite close up magician. They seen the shock on my face and the one guy said yeah what he did was easy but what that guy did with the live chicks was impossible. Then I asked a few of them about Steve Cohen, for some reason the women enjoyed his trick they all talked about the ring. Some asked me if it was a trick ring lol. But for some reason the guys just said yeah he was good.

I thought I would post this here because there is a lot of talk about what laypeople would notice and like. I found this info amazing. I was also amazed how many people watch Letterman. I must of did walk around for a 100+ at the after party.
If I group all the comments together into one, it wasn't a good week in magic and for this I am very very sad.
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
It was a good week for
Flyer fans though.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Interesting post TKO. I have to agree- although I thought the guys did a pretty good job, largely there was no "magic", the tricks were the same old boring stuff, and it seemed no one played to the audience- they were too focused on Dave who, of course, made it pretty hard to play to the audience or to the camera...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Didn't watch all the episodes but the chicks with Johnny "Ace" Palmer and Ammar's silk through cup were great.
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Hi
I played the Ammar performance for my wife and daughter, who's 21 years old.I couldn't believe they didn't like the silk through the coffee mug trick! They liked the trick "Pressure". I can't understand how that trick can fool anyone.Especially when it's inflated after the penetration. It looks nothing like it should.
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
The Old Man
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of The Old Man
Quote:
On 2010-05-19 10:58, RiffRaff wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-19 10:27, doceason wrote:
Tuesday, the camera man 'screwed the pooch'.


The show is not shown live, it's taped.
The editors and producers select the shots.
The Letterman Show deliberately selected a shot that would expose the trick.
You don't see them using an overhead shot when they have an actress on the couch do you?
...If they did I'd be a loyal viewer.

I am late to this party, but this comment is so off the mark that I have to respond. First it is taped, but it is edited live by the director calling the shots. Unless there's a huge problem there is no editing of camera selection. There wouldn't be time, nor reason. They were not deliberately trying to expose his trick. If so they could easily do this with every performer. Each magician got a lot of support from the production staff.
The Old Man
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of The Old Man
Quote:
On 2010-05-19 12:17, paynow wrote:
Dave is Dave; it's a comedy show. He's doing the same stuff Ernie Kovacs and to a lesser extent Steve Allen used to do with performers.

I have no idea if you don't know what you're talking about or you have a faulty memory. Ernie Kovacs had a live comedy skit show like Your Show of Shows. He didn't have performers, he had cast members. In addition Steve Allen never treated guests like Dave Letterman. Letterman is the only talk show host I can think of who has treated a large number of people like ***s.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Letterman being equated with Ernie Kovacs and Steve Allen?
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
The Old Man
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of The Old Man
Quote:
On 2010-05-20 03:32, rkosby wrote:
Does the studio audience watch the performance on big screen monitors? It seems to me they would have seen the flash if that's the setup.


No. They are regular studio monitors. Much of the audience can't even see the desk and they really aren't that close. The best view of the stage, from the balcony is really very far from the stage and I don't think you could even see a flashed orange with blinking lights on it from up there.
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1146 Posts

Profile of Salby
.
Is Carney's Cups & Balls Routine published anywhere?? I am aware of his FRUITCUP Routine, but this is different where he curls a newspaper around a glass.

I don't see it in Carnycopia.
.
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
Quote:
On 2010-05-26 18:32, The Old Man wrote:
I am late to this party, but this comment is so off the mark that I have to respond. First it is taped, but it is edited live by the director calling the shots. Unless there's a huge problem there is no editing of camera selection. There wouldn't be time, nor reason. They were not deliberately trying to expose his trick. If so they could easily do this with every performer. Each magician got a lot of support from the production staff.


There are five cameras. The one they chose to select was an overhead shot which exposed the orange. I would consider that a huge problem.
The only other conclusion that I can come to is that the director is so incompetent that he did not notice that the shot that he selected flashed the orange.
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2010-05-26 15:21, ralphs007 wrote:
I can't understand how that trick can fool anyone.Especially when it's inflated after the penetration. It looks nothing like it should.


I think you mean DEFLATED. And yes, I really can't see how that could possibly fool anyone for that very fact. Three of my friends and a wife of one were not fooled by it at all. No, none of them has anything to do with magic. As a matter of fact, one of them even went so far as to try it out with a balloon and his iPod and said he managed to do it although it took about three or four tries. I have to admit, although I think MA is a top notch and a very innovative magician, and still do, that balloon trick left me totally cold.
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
The Old Man
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of The Old Man
Plus, re: the balloon trick, what was all that "I'm going to take a picture from inside a balloon"? We he held it up to camera, after a lot of futzing around, I saw a blank screen.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Someone that knows, told me today, the Letterman's RATINGS FOR THE MAGIC WEEK were his biggest in a loooooooooong time.

Bottom line. It was good for magic and word is they would like to do it again.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2010-05-26 20:54, The Old Man wrote:
Plus, re: the balloon trick, what was all that "I'm going to take a picture from inside a balloon"? We he held it up to camera, after a lot of futzing around, I saw a blank screen.


Well, actually in all fairness to MA, there was indeed a picture albeit the concept, in my honest opinion, was a tad ridiculous. The picture was simply tinted (I forget what color the balloon was) and I think it was totally lost as to the impact that he had intended it to be. I'm just curious as to what others honestly felt about this trick? I immediately knew what it was although I honestly never have seen it before much less performed it. What capped it for me was talking to just a few people who immediately figured it out although they have nothing whatsoever to do with magic! It seems as though it went over quite well with DL and the ensuing applause but.....??
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
Doc Eason
View Profile
V.I.P.
Aspen Colorado
428 Posts

Profile of Doc Eason
Pressure is a startling effect.. when I first saw it, my eyes popped and I was surprised .. for a couple of seconds ... then it became glaringly obvious what was going on.

The picture from inside the balloon was sorta bogus too. I thought that the pic would have been a faint rendition of Michael .. but shot through two layers of balloon.. the result was just a yellow screen.. not that impressive.

Someone mentioned on a different forum that their 10 year old kid went off to school with a handful of balloons and made everyone's cell penetrate a balloon. I think it is a very transparent trick. It doesn't seem to have any legs.. if ya know what I mean.

Choice of material aside, I think Michael probably scored the highest of the week with audience and DL.. I really felt that the viewing audience got to know him better than any of the other performers.

If you believe the statement, they don't remember what you did, they remember how you made em feel, that certainly was the case with MA. Love it or hate it (and it seems like those are the two camps) the little hand killed that night. I was hoping for stronger material from him but there is no denying the strength of his reception.

I can't imagine that a few more magicians tuning in pushed his Neilson ratings up but glad that it did.
Doc Eason’s Rocky Mountain Magic


PO Box 50 / Basalt CO 81621


doc@doceason.com


http://doceason.com


http://doceasonmagicshop.com
arizona
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of arizona
Quote:
On 2010-05-26 21:52, Pete Biro wrote:
Someone that knows, told me today, the Letterman's RATINGS FOR THE MAGIC WEEK were his biggest in a loooooooooong time.

Bottom line. It was good for magic and word is they would like to do it again.


If they do it again I think the guests will do what MA did he just sat there and did few effects pretty much like someone asking you to do a trick and you do a quick effect. that's probably the easy way out rather than doing a routine from your show and it allows for interuptions from Dave, the camera or whatever so it doesn't mess with the rythyms of the performers like it did all week long it seemed. I wish I could get a chance to knockem all dead. lol
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Close-Up Magic Week on Letterman (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..17~18~19~20~21~22~23 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL