The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Close-Up Magic Week on Letterman (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..21~22~23 [Next]
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13363 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I think the orange flashed because the camera shot switched to one directly overhead instead of where it was the rest of the time. you would think they would edit that out from the TV show. Why wouldn't they?

much better than the night before.

also, the tiny strange-multi-level area of the desk is completely ridiculous. With all the money they have to do the show you'd think they would give the magicians a better performance surface. the chair also seems quite uncomfortable to be doing a magic set from.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
lebowski
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of lebowski
Like I said, perhaps not as accomodating as they could be.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3391 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
I don't normally watch Letterman, I don't really care for him or his style(?), but since this was "Close Up Magic Week" I thought I'd give it a go to see if there was any change since David Roth was mugged on camera. Nope nothing changed. I wonder if Letterman interacts the same way with musicians or singers. Someone should try to explain to Letterman to just shut up and let the magic happen.

JMHO
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
You're right lebowski, Frank and Stanyon. John Carney is my hero of the week. I thought he did a great job considering the absolutely appalling working conditions they foisted on him. Found myself holding my breath for him the whole time.
They used to bring magicians out to a separate table, a much better idea.

Edits or alternate takes on a show of that type are extremely rare. It is timed to the second and difficult to adjust once it starts.

Letterman tends to get quite rude with magicians. Gazzo would take care of him.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Adammcd
View Profile
Regular user
Greensburg PA
132 Posts

Profile of Adammcd
It was well done and I think that Carney was not at fault for the flash there probably should have been a cut, Though, my wife didn't see it. Letterman was much better last night and almost apologetic for his behavior with Jason. Freakin' Carney is brilliant.
The last thing you ever expected, should have been the first.
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1777 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
Look everyone of these guys know what to expect from Letterman he is not changing his multimillion dollar style for a bunch of close up magicians, get real. Carney was great flashes or not he was composed & entertained his audience(Letterman & the home audience) if you think he flashed ask a layperson to watch & ask if they think his performance was entertaining, not look closely for what you see. You do not go on letterman not knowing he is going to heckle you he does it to all his guests, why do think Cher called him an A** h*** on air. I have never thought Jason's material on Letterman was all that great but he keeps getting called back, so must be doing something right, not to mention all the other shows he has performed on.
teevtee
View Profile
Inner circle
1547 Posts

Profile of teevtee
What in the world are people talking about when they discuss "horrible working conditions" and so on. These 5 guys are incredibly lucky, they are being given a HUGE chance to impress a national audience and cross over to a much more mainstream position. It is up to THEM not Letterman to adapt.

Letterman is Letterman, you may not like him and that is fine but he is the same to every guest he has, musicians, actors, magicians, whoever. While I agree that the cramped space and odd desk are far from ideal it is simply not Letterman's job to make things ideal... it is the responsibility of the magicians to figure out a solid performance in any given situation... something we really have yet to see thus far this week.

How many of you perform under ideal situation every time? Come on, these guys should be not only jumping for joy to have this chance but they should be bringing their absolute A game. Yes, Letterman will pester them a bit, yes the desk is small and oddly shaped... SO WHAT.

I say again, do you think someone liek RIcky Jay would have a problem with it? I don't think so.
Xpilot
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
464 Posts

Profile of Xpilot
Quote:
On 2010-05-19 09:47, teevtee wrote:
I say again, do you think someone liek RIcky Jay would have a problem with it? I don't think so.

Interesting that you say that. He has been on Letterman more than once- I don't know how many times, but I have video from 2 appearances and in one he totally blows a 4 ace production sequence. He stays calm and is entertaining while he recovers very well, Still, it's the only time I've ever seen him totally screw up a trick on TV. So maybe someone like Ricky Jay would have a problem with it.
Doc Eason
View Profile
V.I.P.
Aspen Colorado
428 Posts

Profile of Doc Eason
Boy the thing that this is pointing up is how difficult it can be to get great video. So many elements need to line up right- you, the audience, the lighting, the cameraman, the editor.

Tuesday, the camera man 'screwed the pooch'.

John was great under pressure. He was glib and bantered well with DL who was on his best behavior.. infact even asking JC if he wanted 'help'.-more or less asking John if it was ok if he was an "active participant". John did very well with the banter. I feel DL *knows* that people think he has it in for magicians and

He did well and would have fooled you teevee had you not *seen* the orange. I know his routine and John has STILL fooled me with the timing of the load. It was unfortunate they used that angle at the critical time.

Nervous? yah ... hard to get around that.. Letterman is an intimidating presence and, I'll bet, could send the fear of god into any of us. Aside from that unfortunate camera angle that zeroed in on his hands, his shakes weren't that obvious.

That routine can be confusing. John did a good job of 'selling' it.

On now to Johnny Ace..
Doc Eason’s Rocky Mountain Magic

PO Box 50 / Basalt CO 81621

doc@doceason.com

http://doceason.com

http://doceasonmagicshop.com
bobbyk
View Profile
Special user
Tennessee
698 Posts

Profile of bobbyk
I think Frank and Doc have made some great points and I hope the week gets better.

I felt badly for Carney with those unforgiving camera shots... you would think they would've been a bit more magician-Friendly with some of those shots. But the lesson here to me is.... Be prepared for that by doing something that you can't get busted on by a camera shot. Carney is a wonderful talent and I wish the audience could have enjoyed his work without overhead cameras exposing both the Orange and Coconut loads.

Regarding Jason....I felt it was going to be a rough night when he came out with the Death Grip on the Shrinking Card case.... For some reason he seemed overly nervous for someone who has been here before...and the way those props were discarded, you would've thought they were on fire. Of course He's on Letterman, I'm not. Smile

Looking forward to the rest of the week...I think.

best,
bk
Doc Eason
View Profile
V.I.P.
Aspen Colorado
428 Posts

Profile of Doc Eason
I didn't get a chance to finish that thought...

If a pro like JC with a full tilt TV studio technology can still not look like a million bucks.. it should point up how difficult it is to put together a great video..

Carney now has a pretty ***ed good video credit... but with that flash of the orange, it is not great! (Maybe JC can fix that expose of the orange... wasn't *his* fault..)
Doc Eason’s Rocky Mountain Magic

PO Box 50 / Basalt CO 81621

doc@doceason.com

http://doceason.com

http://doceasonmagicshop.com
TKO MAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of TKO MAGIC
Doceason, I totally disagree
Ok , I been pushing to everyone at work to watch Letterman this week. I also wanted their true feedback. So far this was what they said. "The guy on Monday was funny , I thought him being nervous was his act."
As for John Carney when I asked " The trick he did was cool but I knew the ending (5 people said that) He looked nervous as well and wasn't funny at all, I seen him put the orange in the glass." When I asked them what do you mean he wasn't funny? They said he had no good responses when David Letterman was talking to him, he seemed like a magician just doing a bar trick, nothing exciting like Copperfield.
I thought this feed back was amazing.
Here we have John Carney writing best selling magic books and his thoughts of misdirection, bad views, hecklers and such... I kind of agree with teevtee on this one practice what you preach.

I don't understand the people on here that say Letterman is a heckler. Sorry folks this is the real world, you are not performing at the Magic Castle in front of magicians. You're performing for laypeople.
Walk in any establishment in NYC, Jersey, PA, Chicago people are going to try to figure you out and you better be entertaining too.
Why do you think Penn and Teller fit in so good on Letterman???????? They are prepared and they are entertaining.
Carney was not entertaining last night as much as I hate to say it. He fumbled some of his props and he even mentioned it, he flashed, he looked nervous but most of all he had no quick reply to Letterman questions and jokes. It seemed like Carney got flustered when Letterman interrupts his patter.
I'm not taking nothing away from Carney's talent. He is one of the best of all time. But there's more to it than just performing a trick.
Welcome to New York

I would love to see Malone, Ricky Jay, Gazzo magicians who can handle a real audience.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19842 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
All that I know is magic is a very personal medium. Half the deal is that it happens right under your nose with close up magic. Take that away and you have an easier time trying to climb the Matterhorn without any arms. Translating the "magic" to the medium of TV and doing tricks are 2 different things.

Add to the mix a host with a huge presance, who may or may not like the medium! Heck I think any of them who does not accidently "tip the gaff" to the laity has done miracles.

It is a lot of preasure no way around it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
Quote:
On 2010-05-19 10:27, doceason wrote:

The show is not shown live, it's taped.
The editors and producers select the shots.
The Letterman Show deliberately selected a shot that would expose the trick.
You don't see them using an overhead shot when they have an actress on the couch do you?
...If they did I'd be a loyal viewer.
TKO MAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of TKO MAGIC
Quote:
On 2010-05-19 10:50, Dannydoyle wrote:
All that I know is magic is a very personal medium. Half the deal is that it happens right under your nose with close up magic. Take that away and you have an easier time trying to climb the Matterhorn without any arms. Translating the "magic" to the medium of TV and doing tricks are 2 different things.

Add to the mix a host with a huge presance, who may or may not like the medium! Heck I think any of them who does not accidently "tip the gaff" to the laity has done miracles.

I agree, this is why I say Ricky Jay would be great. He's been on lots of talk shows performing great magic and without exposing it.
You have to ask yourself ? Do these magicians know there going on tv with cameras all around you??????
A good entertainer can adapt to all occasions.
TKO MAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of TKO MAGIC
Quote:
On 2010-05-19 10:58, RiffRaff wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-19 10:27, doceason wrote:

The show is not shown live, it's taped.
The editors and producers select the shots.
The Letterman Show deliberately selected a shot that would expose the trick.
You don't see them using an overhead shot when they have an actress on the couch do you?
...If they did I'd be a loyal viewer.

AAHHH, yes they do show shots from above sometimes.
A magician has to be very misguided thinking there wouldn't be a camera over yourself. YOU"RE ON TV
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19842 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2010-05-19 10:58, TKO MAGIC wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-19 10:50, Dannydoyle wrote:

I agree, this is why I say Ricky Jay would be great. He's been on lots of talk shows performing great magic and without exposing it.
You have to ask yourself ? Do these magicians know there going on tv with cameras all around you??????
A good entertainer can adapt to all occasions.

Often directors have an opinion on things that may not benifit magic.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TKO MAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of TKO MAGIC
Danny, that's my point. Being a professional like these guys all week you think they would take that in consideration. I hope I'm not coming off like I can do better, because I can't. I would be nervous as all heck. But I would like to think I would have all my angles figured out. lol
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19842 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I know the theory and yea to a point you are right. BUT it is not quite that simple.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
bobbyk
View Profile
Special user
Tennessee
698 Posts

Profile of bobbyk
If the show is featuring a close up Magician...I would think it's a given they will be shooting it very CLOSE UP...and it's up to the performer to make sure what he's going to do will work. We don't know for sure how many angles or cameras were used to tape that segment that would really show the effect, at least I don't....So I think it's a stretch to say it was purposely exposed... Sure, it would be nice to know they would always use magician - friendly shots but you simply cannot count on that. That doesn't mean anything was exposed deliberately....

It seems to me that if you do a routine that isn't angle proof... you either better know exactly how the camera angles are going to look or do something else....

Bk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Close-Up Magic Week on Letterman (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..21~22~23 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL