We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » I always crying when I hear a magician say (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
theconjuror
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of theconjuror
Quote:
On 2010-08-05 14:25, satellite23 wrote:
Lol yeah I hate it when magicians tell EXACTLY what they are going to do for the whole trick. that's annoying.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13754 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Holy cow! If we nixed EVERY thing in this thread from our patter, we'd be doing our act as mutes!

But seriously folks (Hey, there's one, but it applies more to comedians) so good evening ladies and germs.

ANYWAY, I think some of these lines mentioned here are definitely trite or hackneyed, but a lot of it depends on how many magicians your spectator (or shall we say participant?) has seen. 

I've ran into many folks who have told me that my performance was the first actual live performance they had ever witnessed. So for these folks, ALL the lines are fresh.

I suppose in the end, you have to play it by ear and try to be sensitive to each person's body language and other verbal and non-verbal clues, etc. Taylor your patter and performance to the situation at hand. 

Years of performing EXPERIENCE and years of dealing with people -people handling skills- are definitely the order of the day.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
nytaylor21
View Profile
New user
Utah
55 Posts

Profile of nytaylor21
For some reason I hate the term "magic trick". It sounds childish to me, and makes me feel like I'm 12 again. I don't have a better term, and it's probably just me, but for some reason I don't prefer that term.
ChrisC
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of ChrisC
How did you do that???

Can you keep a secret??

So can I!
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
I doubt most people have seen enough magic to recognize these lines as hackneyed. Corny, yes. Hackneyed, no.
Lucid Illusion
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Lucid Illusion
Quote:
On 2010-10-28 16:34, mayniac wrote:
I had a dream last night...and YOU were in it!

Totally unbelievable. And if they do believe you, they'll probably just think you're a weirdo.

I've seen a decently well known magician say this as patter on stage. He was a comedy act, but it still didn't feel right.
Jack H
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Jack H
Virtually every street magician these days:
"Can I just show you something"
No you can't you pervert!
or
"Let me just try something here"
TRY something? What, like you haven't already practised this for hours and hours in your bedroom?
yazz
View Profile
New user
UK
49 Posts

Profile of yazz
Watch as I make your 100 pound note disappear...do you have a diamond ring on you by any chance?

- Yazz
colin72
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of colin72
When mentalists keep saying "Be honest...".

"Would it be impressive if..."

"Under test conditions..."

All hacky lines
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
Any "Play-by-play" patter that follows "I'll just...."

"I'll just shuffle the deck and put it here on the table...now I will cut the cards and have you take one...." AAAAHHHHHH! We can see what you are doing - no need for the obvious exposition! 5 minutes on YouTube will show you how wide spread the blight of PBP patter is. It's depressing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » I always crying when I hear a magician say (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL