The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » To drink or not to drink (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
wonderbob
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of wonderbob
I was wondering if any of you do this. Do any of you take a drink of water right in the middle of your show. I do and I was wondering if this is professional or not?
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
In stand-up, taking a drink can be used to give you time to think, recover from a mistake, remember your next bit, set your timing or highlight and close a bit. I don't see an issue with it all. The ol' throat can get a little dry after pattering and mugging for 20 minutes. If you can do it AND keep the show's momentum going - Well, you're a pro! Smile
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
I notice that the air in school gyms have a tendency to be dry. If I'm doing two or three shows in a day I'll take a drink now and then.
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
I have several drinks throughout my show. If I didn't, you wouldn't be able to hear me and that be worse (to me at least - maybe not the kids!) But in order to not loose my voice, I must have a drink of water or juice available throughout the show.

I perform 7 shows a week, and that can be a drain on the throat, so I have a water bottle which goes with me to all shows, and gets refilled at the venue at the end of the show before going to the next one.

As for if it looks professional... I don't know, but don't care. Having the water means all the children can hear me throughout the performance, the next performance and the performance after that. I need it to keep up the pace and to do my job. It keeps my throat in good heath and this is one of those few instances where you do what is necessary for the job.

Steve

I will say, I spent some time looking for the right water bottle. I wanted something that looked funny, while being functional. The bottle itself has to look professional. I use to just take a coke bottle, but decided one day to improve the edges of my show and one of those edges was the water bottle.

P.S. I know some people who make a trick / gag out of it, but I have never bothered to go that far.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
One tip I picked up from a fellow performer, many years ago, was to get the rubbermaid bottles that have a pop-up straw type of top. (Or something similar in another brand.)

This way, you don't have to tip your head back to drink, and you can keep eye contact while taking your drink of water. You pop up the straw type top, and take a sip from a straw.

Also, one more tip with the water bottles and travelling. You will find that the pressure changes in the bottle from changing altitude (driving to shows), or from the heat. Before you go to use the bottle at the venue, twist the lid open and closed about half a turn. This will allow the pressure inside the bottle to return to normal. If you don't do this, you might pop up the straw, and find that water squirts out at you (even though you aren't squeezing the bottle).

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
ddeckmann
View Profile
Loyal user
Paraguay
202 Posts

Profile of ddeckmann
When doing kids show I don't allow myself to have "empty spaces", drinking water for me is an "empty space" (in a kids show). Everything has to be very fluid because I'm starting with kids and its a heavier rhythm for me.

With adults shows, normally, I produce a wine bottle but filled with water along with a wine glass. I drink some water now and then... I use the glass for the silk to egg and the water later for the snowstorm. I like "recycled" magic Smile

I like the ku7uk3 idea of a different bottle if you're a regular drinker

Dante D.
greatscott
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of greatscott
I, personally, don't drink anything during a show. I don't think it looks very professional.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I cary bottles of water in my car just in case the hostess doesn't have any. I put one on a chair next to me, and I go to it as needed I have never given it any thought, but I usually finish about a half of a bottle of water every show.

No big deal
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Here is the deal or at least my view point.

I had this discussion with my good friend Duane Laflin and we kind of don't agree.

I think taking some water is fine. I perform a 90 minute illusion show and I am out there for the whole 90 minutes.

Now what you don't know is people like Lance, Copperfield, Angel and others with big shows have time factored in to be off stage to do everything from get a quick drink to changing their shirts or wiping the sweat from their face.

But, if your out there the whole time its different. Or even if its just a school show or a private party taking a drink is normal. It's how and when that is important.

Example: at one point in my show I always take a drink. It's when I get a volunteer and they are walking to the stage and music is playing, so there is no dead space, I quickly grab my bottle and take a drink. The other time I have airborn sitting off stage for when I need a drink and use that to pout a glass of water then drink it. Now, using a trick to get the water is great cover for getting that all important drink.

One other idea is to make a comment when getting a drink, something like, "they say 8 classes of water a day." Of course you can follow up with a funny remark; not giving you mine, use your own imagination.

There are lots of ways to do it, and again it's how and when that will make it look and come off professional. It's not unusual. People see comedians all the time with a glass of water sitting on the stool next to them.

So drink up and have fun.

sam

P.s. If you do library shows this summer is make a splash so I am sure you can come up with some great ideas to grab a drink.
One of mine is using a water pistol to squirt the kids then squirt myself taking a drink from it.
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I can't believe I'm reading this. drinking water? of course. drinking water is not empty space if you don't let it.
I drink water confidently, with a nice big "aaaaaahhhhhh" after I do so.

"Now that's some gooooood water!"

Some people are Waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy to worried about the simplest things.

It's your show. Do whatever the **** you want and be confident about it.

You are larger than life to these people. Act like it!!!

Do you think Robin Williams cares if he takes a drink during his comedy act?
Stop acting like a wimp and drink your water, eat your pizza, do whatever you want and do it with gusto. Make it part of the act!

Please give yourself more credit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMOLG2qpY10
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Not only do comedians drink water during their act, public speakers also sip water during their presentations. It's normal behavior.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Signor Blitz
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Signor Blitz
You go Frank!!
I agree with you but my question is if I cut myself during the show, should I try to stop the bleeding or just be professional, ignor it and take care of it later? lol
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I too don't see anything wrong with drinking water, as long as you limit it to water.Smile

It's not a bad idea to drink from a clear glass or a labeled water bottle, just to let everyone know it really is water you drinking.

Tom
Flymo
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of Flymo
Let's take this, literally, one step further; what happens when you've had your fill of water and you need to use the bathroom?
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
Hold it.

If you can't, use this line 'I've hidden a £27 note somewhere in this room, the first person who finds it can keep it'. I guarantee all the children will start searching the room for money which doesn't exist, giving you plenty of cover to do what you must.
The fact that £27 doest exist as a note means you get the adults laughing as well, so it turns into a routine.

Steve
Flymo
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of Flymo
In hindsight, I should have gone into more detail in my post. Holding it during a show is fine (for me at least!). Though doing two to three shows in a row and having to rush between each one, I've been known to hold it for quite extensive amounts of time. Does anyone ever ask to use a clients bathroom? Is this crossing the boundary?

My stance; I'm not 100% sure why but I only ask in the most dire of circumstances.
JimbosMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of JimbosMagic
No. If you need the bathroom then ask the client. Its a call of nature. but go before you start the show.

I usually take a big gilp of water before I start my show, I can usually last up to an hour brfore I need another one and by then we have finished the magic and the kids will be eating.
JIMMY CARLO. KIDabra International Family Entertainer of the Year 2009.
IBM Triple Award Winner. Uk Champion of Comedy Magic.
Represented the UK in the United Slapstick Awards on German TV.
European Children's Entertainer of the year 2007/8
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I always go to the bath room just before my show, I comb my hair, and streighten my tie too. We are now entering the realm of common sense.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Flymo
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of Flymo
Mods, can we make this thread a sticky?
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I think it's good you are considering things like this. Little things can make a difference to the flow of your show and how people percieve you.

Certainly if you need a drink drink. I would never be so scared of interrupting the flow of the show to be in any discomfort.

If you just want a drink and don't want to mention it take a drink during a big laugh or on an off beat.
A drink at the wrong time can produce a slightly awkward silence. I take advantage of this at times and actually say "while I have a drink why don't you guys have yourselves an awkward silence"
I then try to make the silence as awkward and prolonged as possible and finish with.
"well done that was a good one"

Simple joke for a childrens show is just announcing your famous vanishing water trick. Then turn your back a little and drink your water.

If the client has supplied the water I say "this stuff's great you must give me the recipe"

If you have a spirit cloth make the glass vanish the appear empty.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » To drink or not to drink (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL