The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » To drink or not to drink (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
LMLipman
View Profile
Elite user
Falls Church, Va.
444 Posts

Profile of LMLipman
I often take a drink of water during a kid's birthday party. And I often ask to use the bathroom when I arrive at a house--shows are sometimes an hour from my house. I've never had a client give me any kind of negative reaction to doing either.

I like the tip about the bottle with built-in straw. I can see the advantages of that so I'm not tilting my head back.

As for Robin Williams--my wife and I saw him at Constitution Hall this winter and he had five (count 'em) water bottles on the table behind him. He polished them all off during the show.
Larry Lipman
Lorenzo the Great
www.lorenzomagic.com
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Hearing these comments have made me think about my water drinking. I do keep a bottle of water in my table, and use it particularly when I go into a routine with one of my puppet characters, taking a breathe and a quick sip before I do the routine. I think now I will actually script it into the show with the puppet telling me to clear my throat, take a sip of water, and get on with it.

As a note when doing a run of shows (2-3 shows a day, for days on end) I keep a small cooler in the van that holds a couple of bottles of water, and a can of ice tea as treat while driving from one show to the next.

B
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I think it was probably this thread that inspired it but I have been doing a bit in my adult act now whereby I get a cheer and a clap (and a laugh) for drinking a glass of water. It's very silly but it works.
MagicOfDamon
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of MagicOfDamon
Some people seem to be so worried about it. I agree, it is a natural body reaction to have your throat dry up in certain situations or sometimes you cant control the climate control of the facility and its hot so I don't see the big deal.

Why not set up some props behind your table and as you get something take a swig or keep a bottle up under your jacket and run a clear tube under you clothes and turn your body for a move then take a sip?

Ok the later was more of a joke but it may work if you are not comfy drinking in front of the audience.
Whitewolfny
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Whitewolfny
If you're entire act is a silent act, then it probably would break the rhythm of the routine. If you do a lot of talking during the show it's only natural that you might get dry. So you could produce a glass of water from somewhere and to prove it's real water, you take a drink.

Let's not forget Ron White who boldly carries his drink with him throughout his act and it is very much a part of his act. Yea, I know, he's drinking or implies it's real liquor, not good for a magic act, but still he is boldly drinking and it doesn't slow the act down at all.
Braxton Mannar
<BR>Just an old dog trying to learn new tricks Smile
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
I don't drink water, I just wait until I pass out from thrist!

I drink when I need it, I try and wait between effects to smooth it out and give me time to think.

After reading the post here, I think that using airborne would be an easy way to sneak a quick drink.
Life of Magic!
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8694 Posts

Profile of harris
Yep, the vanishing water (drinking) has gotten from oh yeah (small) to woo hoooooooo(bigger) responses.

For this summer programs at the library, I started drinking from the lota as a bit. One time it dribbled down my chin..(accident)...

by the response I built on it...and at times it comes pouring down my head onto my back.

To drink or not to drink...that is the question...

and questions are part of putting our acts together...

the answer of course is in ultimately in you....and your character.

Just sit right back and I'll tell you a tell
tale of a fateful trip
that started from this tropic port aboard this tiny ship...
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8694 Posts

Profile of harris
And from down at the bottom of one of my prop drawers...drinking glasses...that is glasses that you can drink with.

Basically they are shaped aquarium oxygen tubing. I resisted the urge to go with colored liquid. (even though it would show up more) Clean up is much easier when I don't go the sugary liquid, food coloring or milk route.

Blowing bubbles (instead of going right to the sight gag) helps set these up.

They were to be part of my ever growing funny glasses bit. THESE are not my jungling..er juggling glasses...

Harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
Julie Carpenter
View Profile
Regular user
Watford
139 Posts

Profile of Julie Carpenter
Here is a slight change of direction.
Does anyone perform in shorts?
We are not used to the hot weather here in England but are having a bit of a heatwave. I put my bright orange shorts on, along with my promo tshirt to do a hospital show. A collegue seemed a bit surprised that I'd wear shorts?

Does anyone else bear their legs?
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
You bet..depends on the event, but in some summer outdoor conditions, it's the only way to survive. The shorts must be neat and in performance condition...

Ken
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Julie
I would never, never ever wear shorts to do a show, not even at a pool party. I rarely perform with out a tie, but I always wear a pair of pressed dress pants, because I feel for the money that I charge I must look like a professional. I also always drink lots of water at every show, because I don't ever want to pass out on stage.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
conjurormatt
View Profile
Regular user
Ft. Worth, TX
181 Posts

Profile of conjurormatt
I also drink water during my act, either as a result of a magic effect (i.e. producing a glass of water) or during transitions. Fortunately for me, my act is structured so that I have pauses. Since I'm a single performer with no assistants, I sometimes need 20 sec. or so to switch out props. During that time, I switch to a soundtrack, and then make my switchs as needed. I also will then take a drink or mop my brow as needed. I think it's more unprofessional to get very sweaty, then to simply take a moment to get a drink and use a handtowel.

As for shorts, I have rarely ever done set performances in shorts (a few exceptions were at a friends pool party, where I was expected to go swimming after, it was very informal, and I wasn't being paid). If it's going to be hot, I try to go with lighter color, cotten dress pants. I do, however, often wear short sleeves in the summer. I always make sure I look neat, and have never heard any complaints.
Matthew Martin
"Merely to be acquainted with the basic secret of a card trick, in no way qualifies you to perform it. Few people realize that even a simple trick in the hands of a capable performer can become a minor miracle."
~Dai Vernon
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
653 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
Water and shorts have two answers.

water is a must even if you don't use it. you should have something to drink near you as you perform. I reccomend that if you are doing multiple shows In a day then take a drink just as you start. This will help keep you from losing your voice. if you are on stage for your whole show then yes it is appropriate for a variety performer to have water nearby. I keep water on my side table for the whole show and may or may not drink it. If you use water for a routine make sure you have enough for the routine and to drink.

as for shorts. Shorts are appropriate if you wear them as part of a well designed costume. Many perfomers and characters wear them well. However if your character (such as Mine or Al"s Character) would Not wear Them Then it is long pants. if Heat is an issue look at the material that your costume is made of. I frequently perform in Rennaisance costumes. The nearly 20 Lbs of velvet that I wear are quite comfortable as It is made of 100% cotton. That Coatume is designed so that there is vetilation and the fabric breaths well. I could spend hours on this subject so I will stop before I do.
Michael
Believe you then that I do strange things
Magic Arty
View Profile
Elite user
metro Atlanta
443 Posts

Profile of Magic Arty
The Summer Reading theme is "Make A Splash" I thought a good costume would be a speedo and some sunscreen on my nose, but decided against it.
atsmagic
Arthur Atsma

Feeling real happy now!
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8694 Posts

Profile of harris
Arty, it is not easy to get a laugh at 7:05 in the morning.

You just got one.
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » To drink or not to drink (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL