The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cold Readings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
And I like "Bauta"... a system approach. System approachs are good to mix with CR and WR because you can keep on going and you never (or should) never be at a loss for words and interpretations... and really - you get the spec to do all the work anyway if you are doing CR and system work well Smile
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Quote:
On 2010-05-15 16:09, ddyment wrote:
I have published an annotated bibliography of cold reading that offers both opinions and some pretty helpful resources on this topic.

This resources is SO good; and be sure to check out deceptionary.com 's articles by Richard Webster and the reading tutors as well. Super good stuff.

Quote:
On 2010-05-15 16:18, IAIN wrote:

anyway - why not get involved in something else, other than CR? sure, it well be fun, and maybe interesting...but, for me, enrique enriquez's work on the tarot beats any and everything else...its not psychic, occultish, or anything else...and if you have any knowledge of Carl Jung - that's a bonus...

cold reading leaves me...well...cold, personally...

If your doing a reading for someone you don't know then it is a cold reading. Even if you use Invisible tarot, invisible gemstones or Invisible readings (I have the first and last and I really like them both).

I don't think the is a "does not =" sign on my keyboard, but cold reading does not equal stock readings. It may or may not include some tricky business or hidden systems but those are not implied by the term.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Wow, I had not expected this kind of a response. Thank you all for your help.

Since I don't know anything about the subject, from what I am gathering is you need a base for a reading whether it be palm, tarot, tea leaves or whatever.

Since I may not have those other things around me all the time I guess I should start with the palm.

I think I will start with Websters audios at Lybrary.

Draw a tree sounds very interesting.

I think I will also get The Full Facts Book of Cold Reading and
Quick and Effective Cold Reading.

Will these give me a good start on learning and performing?

Thank you all again for all your time posting your suggestions.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I think you'll be reading in no time flat.

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I'd suggest getting THE DANCE By Brad Henderson. I think it's a must read for anyone getting into Cold Reading ( or if you already have been doing it ).

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
@seadog - I would say that CR is using generalities and stock phrases though...doing a reading with someone you've never met equates to a "cold reading", as in you have no info on the person...

but the skill-set of being able to "cold read", (to me anyway) means that you are using all those techniques in Ian Rowland's book (as an example) and not really applying the rules/techniques of a system...

so for me, a reading could be me telling them what's on their mind currently, and/or exploring a situation - but using enrique's teachings to do so...no cold reading is involved at all..there's no need...

just my opinion though...
I've asked to be banned
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
IAIN,
fair enough. I've heard that to, although my understanding (which may of course be wrong) is that this is a more modern and technically incorrect definition. I think we ultimately agree on the subject though.
Either way, the point is ...Enrique Enriquez has some great books! Smile

Courtney

chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
I feel "The Dance" is essential, as is the volume "Full Facts on Cold Reading."

HERE IS THE THING. Many people can learn to play an instrument. Very few lean to p-lay their instrument well -- and fewer learn to improvise or skat successfully. This is the problem with "Cold Reading." we can learn the formulas and a few of the words -- -but being a great improve actor really helps.

Develop your psychic vocabulary, mode of Barnum formula presentations and hone the shaded compliments and conflicts we all statistically realize in our lives.

That is the secret.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I would recommend Julian Moore's quick palm reading e-book, and his James Bond Classic Reading, along with Lee Earle's Gentle Art of Cold Reading. Those three resources alone will have you doing effective readings in a few hours.
Anything by Joe Riding is highly recommended, but since Joe's death no longer seem to be available.
Ian Rowlands book is brilliant, but not the place for a beginner to start.
I understand your reluctance to use Tarot. Personally I love them but they have connotations. Palms are a great compromise. They are always there, there is an intimacy about taking hold of someone's hand for the reading, and they give you something to say, a starting point from which all else can flow.
Finally don't think about it too much. Just get out and do it. You will be surprised at the speed of your progress.
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
OK, so there are about 10 books that have been recommended. Is there a good source to purchase most books mentioned at a good rate?
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
Several books have been mentioned.

Pick your system first (palm, tarot, ....).

Then decide from that point what you want. Ten books is too much to focus on. Two to three is the most...one is best to begin. Just start with your system and get started doing readings with it...fill in later.

A good rate? Fast, good, cheap...pick any two (a good rule of life). You could check the used section though the best stuff people don't sell usually. Additionally there is no such things as used e-book sales.

The fastest start...I'll just offer two different approaches to palm. If you have a good memory and can do scripts get "Cold Front" flash cards...$18 postpaid.

If you can't do scripts get bev's work...more expensive but a lot cheaper than buying ten books, even if used. There are many posts here from those who got his work and were able to do good, basic palm readings soon after.

These are only suggestions...there are many other options.

Start by picking your system you will read with.
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
I agree that picking the system is important but that said one of the first two books should be one related to cold reading in general. Although I initially recommended the Rowland book as well as Red Hot Cold Reading by Dewey and Seveille, I would now go with the latter because although it packs a lot of information it is not as overwhelming as the Rowland book which has almost too much info some of which is extraneous. If you go with palms, Webster is best and you can probably get it at the library to try it. I agree with Mota that Doug Dyment's Cold Front is a good and inexpensive companion to any book on palm reading.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
TonyB2009,

Joe Riding's stuff is still being shown here:
http://www.joesmagic.co.uk/
is this site not operational? I've been planning on getting the Astrology in 7 days.

slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
OK, I just purchased Julian Moore's quick palm reading e-book, and his James Bond Classic Reading.

I am hoping this will give me a good start in the field.

I have a horrible memory which is one reason I chose it as well as the recommendations from many based on content for a beginner.

Wish me luck.

Alec
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
Very good choices...you won't need luck.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2010-05-16 19:20, mota wrote:
Several books have been mentioned.

Pick your system first (palm, tarot, ....).

Then decide from that point what you want. Ten books is too much to focus on. Two to three is the most...one is best to begin. Just start with your system and get started doing readings with it...fill in later.

A good rate? Fast, good, cheap...pick any two (a good rule of life). You could check the used section though the best stuff people don't sell usually. Additionally there is no such things as used e-book sales.

The fastest start...I'll just offer two different approaches to palm. If you have a good memory and can do scripts get "Cold Front" flash cards...$18 postpaid.

If you can't do scripts get bev's work...more expensive but a lot cheaper than buying ten books, even if used. There are many posts here from those who got his work and were able to do good, basic palm readings soon after.

These are only suggestions...there are many other options.

Start by picking your system you will read with.

Mota,

Ive heard of these flash cards, do you have a link handy?

Thanks

Candin
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
Here is where I got them from...

http://www.deceptionary.com/coldfront.html
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
You are a gentleman and a scholar Mota. Smile

Candin
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Your ebooks are on their way and I really wish you the best of luck! Any questions just drop me an email to theparlour@imentalism.com

Thanks for all the mentions - it motivates me to keep improving my stuff
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Let us know how it works out for you Sly. I am constantly learning as I try out certain source material during my gigs. I can see it evolving as I learn how to handle different people.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cold Readings (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL