The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Jimmy Finger's Magellan Levitation (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Hi Alex, this is addressed in the instructional video. Quite a bit of this is possible through movement and mime. Putting any slop into the gimmick is not a safe answer, but the performer's presentation can make this seem to happen.

JF
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1256 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
Jimmy, are sleeves required for zombina? Any special lighting? the video seemed like it was done with minimal light...
Randy Burtis
Calgary's Kid Show Magician
www.calgarymagician.com
www.Facebook.com/calgarymagician
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Hi Randy, please check the Zombira thread, or, should I say, no thread...

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=10

It can tell you more aobut the lighting... Sleeves are required for one of the moves in that YouTube video routine.

Thanks for your interest!

Jimmy
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
This is one of the best investments a parlour or stage magician can make.
It also holds it's resale value quite nicely if you are so inclined someday.

How did you come up with 'Magellan' for the idea?
Was your grandfather named, "Ferdinand?"

You rock Jimmy!
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Hi Devious, thanks for the nice words!

It was called Magellan due to it's portability and the ability to be used almost anywhere. Not just transporting the unit, but also the ability to bring it to any empty stage for performance.

The Magellan Master levitation fits in a carry-on, and has a performance transport system that allows for being presented on a stage without a curtain, with the audience watching, and being able to clean up afterward, without a curtain, as well.

JF
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Oh, one more thing...

Rap artist T.I. mentions it in his song "Like That" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiNEoTC2kaA

Lyrics: "Get rich and get out the game 'fore snitches can get to telling
Magician with it Magellan, already a felon"

When someone told me about that, I cracked up!

I wonder how T.I. knew about it to include it?

When I was performing at the Grand Canyon gig, my backstage assistants didn't really pay me much attention until they found out that my stuff was in a T.I. song. Their eyes grew wide with wonder when they found out that the levitation was mentioned in this song. That's hilarious!

Jimmy
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
The newest, clearest, highest def video of the Magellan Master Levitation, performed in the show at the Grand Canyon.

http://youtu.be/bymICSuAtUo

Thanks, Jimmy
www.magellanlevitation.com
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
For those interested, the overseas knockoffs of my Magellan Master Levitation have had price raises that make my original unit an even greater value than ever! After shipping, the price of an original, authentic and current Magellan Master Levitation is almost the same as a low grade, non-computer cut copy.

Also, I'm working on offering the option of accepting BitCoin for any future transactions.

Please contact me for details and availability of service. I'm currently putting together the server, and I will accelerate the process for potential purchasers of Magellan Master Levitation, Choppo, Rope-u-tation, and my mentalism pdf's.

Thanks,

Jimmy

Click here to view attached image.
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
To set the record straight, what appears to some viewers to be a Magellan levitation in the Wizard Wars season 2 commercial is not, according to Bizzaro(Bizzaro owns a Magellan Master Levitation). Penn and Teller note in their critique that the show's floating effect is a 'suspension.' It's not a levitation like the Magellan. In other words, the TV suspension doesn't go up and down, but the Magellan does accomplish that effect. According to Bizzaro's description of the workings, the workings of their suspension is not real time, real world workable like a Magellan Master levitation. More pipe dream than usable for a working pro, from what I'm hearing about the execution of the effect. I can't say how much the team was 'inspired' by the Magellan's effect, workings and concept, but I do know that at least half of the team executing and consulting on the effect were aware of the Magellan levitation and it's intricacies. It may come down to whether one considers the use of a cloth in a vertical, witch-style floating human to be unique to the Magellan, and, thus, proprietary, or simply 'inspired' by it, or possibly not at all related. As stated before, I would not expect their effect to ever come near being commercially marketed, but I also want viewers to not mistakenly believe that this is what the Magellan Master levitation is or what it looks like. It is not, from what Bizzaro is sharing.

I've been contacted by individuals who saw the commercial and immediately thought Magellan. I have not seen the commercial yet.

Bizzaro is asking me to trust his evaluation until I see the commercial.

Jimmy Fingers
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
I just talked with Calen Morelli, one of the consultants on the piece, and he said that the piece was obviously done differently, but that the inspiration for it was even verbalized as 'lets do something like the Magellan'. by himself and Justin. It was nice to hear that I have at least some semblance of relevance. He was very gracious and open with me, and I really appreciated that.

Calen is brilliant, and I'm lucky to have someone of his caliber to like my work enough to be inspired by it.

Jimmy Fingers
Casey Mc
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles, CA
12 Posts

Profile of Casey Mc
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2014, magic4545 wrote:
Oh, one more thing...

Rap artist T.I. mentions it in his song "Like That" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiNEoTC2kaA

Lyrics: "Get rich and get out the game 'fore snitches can get to telling
Magician with it Magellan, already a felon"

When someone told me about that, I cracked up!

I wonder how T.I. knew about it to include it?

When I was performing at the Grand Canyon gig, my backstage assistants didn't really pay me much attention until they found out that my stuff was in a T.I. song. Their eyes grew wide with wonder when they found out that the levitation was mentioned in this song. That's hilarious!

Jimmy

To me it sounds like "Magician with a Magellan" -- which is still cool... But he may just think that he is very skilled (like a magician) at using his Magellan GPS system (http://www.magellangps.com) when he is hustling to get rich around town. For T.I., it also doesn't hurt that Magellan rhymes with felon. But maybe..... Smile
Sorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Sorcerer
Watching the new video, high resolution but really cold audience reaction. Sorry, but I still find something lacking with this effect.
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
The venue is a steak house that was plagued with really bad food issues at the time, and clients reactions were not very warm. Many times there was low attendance, as well. If you want jet packs, Angels and servos, yeah, this might not be for you, sorry.
T. Durden
View Profile
Loyal user
USA
294 Posts

Profile of T. Durden
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2015, magic4545 wrote:
...If you want jet packs...

Jimmy - Please perform this while wearing a jet-pack some day. Please. And a Rocketeer helmet. That would make me unbelievably giddy.
Kbuck54
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Kbuck54
Is there an effective wieght limit, that the device will handle? Are shoes required?
Keith Shazam
SHAZAM!
Kbuck54
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Kbuck54
From what I gather, there is some Physical strength invovled in performing this. I have had two knee surgeries and am all heeled now. Is this something that I can still perform?
Keith Shazam
SHAZAM!
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
All of your questions can be answered by visiting www.magellanlevitation.com

Thanks,

Jimmy
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Please note that although the Wizard Wars depiction was inspired by my Magellan Master Levitation, it doesn't come close in several ways.

First, the Magellan Master Levitation requires no alteration of stage or special furniture around it. It can be done on any floor or carpet in a house party situation without preset, blackout or pulling a curtain to cover any 'dirty work'.

Secondly, the Wizard Wars attempt was plagued by an inability to rise or descend. It's simply a suspension, the Magellan Master Levitation is, accurately named, a levitation.

Finally, the Magellan Master Levitation requires no camera cuts, favorable editing, camera choreography or presetting of any mechanisms.

The creator of the Wizard Wars version, Calen Morelli, has contacted me, and he admitted that they were inspired by the Magellan Master Levitation in many ways, but ethically chose to use other methods to attempt to achieve the effect, since they had access to certain stage alterations that the original Magellan does not require.

Thanks,

Jimmy
Still frustrated that my work on the Wizard Wars pilot that made the creation of the show possible left me off the show
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Hi everyone! I have sat down with Calen, and we discussed it, and he was unaware of my disconnection with the show.

The viewers must realize that the effect that they did was NOT a levitation, but, rather, a simple suspension, without the ability to rise or lower like the Magellan Master Levitation. Also, let's just say that the Magellan does NOT require HEAVY alteration of stage and editing that would not be available to the performer in real-world situations.

In the end, did it present the Magellan concept in a positive light? I don't really think so, but Penn and Teller said that their version was real time workable. I disagree, but Penn and Teller have been really lenient on this show, unlike Fool Us.

If anyone would like to discuss the Magellan Master Levitation or the possibility of obtaining one, please feel free to call me, anytime.

Jimmy Fingers
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
You can do Jimmy's in your underwear at your backyard Bar-B-Q, using the checked tablecloth. You slowly go up and down, and pretty high.

You must, of course, rent two strong baby elephants to do this right, but hey, it’s good magic.

I’ve never thought it looked very good on video, but live, it's a killer. Just killer.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Jimmy Finger's Magellan Levitation (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL