The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » 1089 problem (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Here's a quick thought.
How about using cards?

Have, let's say the 4H eighteenth from the top of a deck.
Make a prediction.
Have 3 number cards chosen below the 18th from a spread or maybe false shuffle and cut the deck in half then use the Magician's Choice so they get the bottom half, no pairs allowed.
Place the former top half on the bottom half or leave it on the table.
Do the necessary calculations to where they get 1089.
Then have them eliminate the zeros and add 1+8+9=18.

Like I said, a quick idea.

I'd be interested in other forces of the 3 digits using everyday items. Have any thoughts?
AlbertoLV
View Profile
New user
España
7 Posts

Profile of AlbertoLV
Without going into too many details, but you could have a double prediction prepared in an envelope with 198 or 1089, another option is mental reading, when they do the first calculation they find out if they have 2 or 3 digits, then they add and finally the reading is done. .
Thomas Henry
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1410 Posts

Profile of Thomas Henry
Hello Jaz,

Having the participant work all the way through to 1089 is more work than is really needed. The participant can stop right after the subtraction, then form the digital root. It's always guaranteed to be 9, so that's where the force card would be.

Note 1: The notion of a digital root is common in numerology, so your script could make use of that fact to justify it.

Note 2: This works with any number of cards greater than one, not just three. That would give the participant even more freedom.

Note 3: The mechanics of this force (as opposed to the 1089 force the original poster asked about) date back at least to Paul von Kalnassy, "Mnemotechnik: Gedanken-Erraten," Der Zauberspiegel, Volume 4, Number 6, June 1904, pp. 98, 99. A half-century later it was popularized by Martin Gardner in his Mathematics, Magic and Mystery, (New York: Dover Publications, Inc., 1956), p. 165.

Anyway, this might be a quicker way to get the arithmetic over and on to the magic.

Thomas Henry
Omne ignotum pro magnifico.

Curious who I am? See my quick video bio.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » 1089 problem (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL