The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Does anyone know whose this is? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
Please check out the short vid I shot. I'm just looking to find out who this belongs to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2EEJ6YFUSI

P.S. Please excuse the poor performance! Smile I was trying to get it done fast while the house was empty. (Likely story, huh?)

The video is kind of screwed up, and it stops for some reason right before the end. PRAISE YOUTUBE!! LOL
"Flight from death"
Buy the WILD AT HEART e-book to help Rachael Columbini here: http://www.lybrary.com/wild-heart-p-76110.html
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Looks like a run of the mill variation of Daley's Cavorting Aces.

Other than that. Never better.

I believe I didn't spell the magician's name that this belongs to correctly, but it will point you in the right direction. Cavorting Aces can be found in the book Stars Of Magic. It's a book that should be any magician's, worth his salt, library. If you don't have it, get it.
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2505 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Hello, I don't know who originated it, but it is as old as the hills. It can be found as "Acrobatic Jacks" in 'Expert at the Card Table' by Erdnase (1912). Also cool to know is that Bill Malone revisited the trick on his "Here I Go Again" tapes. It is a great effect.

I don't know who originated it, though; maybe someone else could shed a light on this?

Btw, you added a nice finish on it. Personally, I would start with the cards face down, let that sink in, then take it a step further (face up), then finish with your finisher, or do it via a R***** P**s before finishing like you did. I enjoyed the movie, although it was quick.
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
Thanks for the responses, guys! Cavorting Aces! Geesh, why didn't I remember that?

It's really fun to do for people. Never fails to get those "looks". I was sure that it was pretty old. I didn't really associate it with "The Acrobatic Jacks". Maybe because of the method I use is a little different that that in Erdnase, or simply because it's Jacks. But it is almost the same thing, I guess. And I was not aware of the Bill Malone effect.

It seems that it is pretty old, so finding an origin may be difficult.

Great idea, Michiel! I'll have to try that. Thank you.
"Flight from death"
Buy the WILD AT HEART e-book to help Rachael Columbini here: http://www.lybrary.com/wild-heart-p-76110.html
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2505 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
I was sure I remembered the effect from 'Expert at the Card Table,' so I immediately took the book off my shelf to look it up, haha.

I'm sure there are more versions of it (Bill Malone presents it as an "observation test," which I really liked). I reckon also the legendary Ricky Jay used this effect more than once since he used a lot of effects straight out of Erdnase.

But the origins... I really don't know. Smile

On your final comment, I took it from a principle Darwin Ortiz discusses in his great book, "Designing Miracles." Although the moves are the same, they differ in effect for the spectator and look more impossible for the spectator. Bigger bang each round for basically doing the same, which is always great fun. Smile
Keep on kicking ***, bro!

P.S. My former post said, "...although it was quick". I meant to say, "...although you just shot it quickly." I didn't mean to criticize your performance style or whatever.
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
VM,

You got your answer. I'd still like to say,

"I really liked your performance! It was snappy, smooth and very well done."

I always struggled with using the same sleight repeatedly. Some odd voice in the back of my head said, "Vary the method, vary the method."

I don't think you should change a thing in what you're doing. Here's another handling of the effect that may pique your interest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MEqF00O5Bg

Neither one of us does the routine as printed up in Stars of Magic. If you ever figure out who conceived the routine you're doing, let me know. When I get home, I'll do some looking.

KG
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
That's all fine and good, but what we really want to know is, what are the pedals you've got on the floor behind you? Looks like a vol or wah pedal, and then a case of floor pedals.
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
First of all, thank you all for your kind words about the shoddy performance! I really appreciate you guys saying stuff like that. Makes me feel good. Smile
I usually do this a little more elegantly. Simply waving my hand over the pack to initiate the instant change. Same method, just a little different handling. I just wanted to get it up to ask the question because it was bugging me, so I did it really quick. But I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Michiel, I did the same thing as soon as you mentioned it. Ran to the shelf to look it up again. I am going to have to track down the Bill Malone stuff and see what's up with that, too. And Thank you for the tips and advice, and I'm glad you liked it.

Kent, thanks to you as well. You're too kind. I have to say that I liked your performance, as well. I especially liked the second phase into a fan. Smile Great stuff, as usual, from you. I'm sorry to say this, but I don't have Stars of Magic. I have, of course, heard of the Cavorting Aces, and I'm sure I've probably even seen it done somewhere. As to why I don't have the book, my only excuse is that there is just so much stuff out there, and it probably just slipped past me. I know I've heard of it before, though, and of course, I know who Dr. Daley is.

Tom, I play the guitar, and what you're seeing there (Had to go back and look at the vid to figure out what you were talking about. I didn't realize it was there.) is a Line 6, Spider IV 75 watt guitar amp with an MKII floorboard. The pedal you see is on the floorboard, and it's a Wah/Volume pedal.
"Flight from death"
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2505 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frTOeOqen2E Here, you can see Bill performing it.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
IIRC, it's also found in the Steve Draun book. This variation (with the two aces turning over and sandwiched between the other two aces) is only slightly different from Draun's "kicker", which I won't take time to describe here.

Unfortunately, I am out of town - and, therefore, away from my library - or I'd be happy to provide the actual name of the Draun effect. The story, however, is that the routine was devised to use a "cool sleight" (the chicken came first in this case) that has little other practical use, and the trick's name reflects that sentiment...

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
TW,

Knew I'd read that handling before. Got the SD book at the house. Thanks!

KG
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Does anyone know whose this is? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL