The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Self Working Card Book Suggestion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
anjomagic
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of anjomagic
I am looking to update my library and wanted to ask what Self Working Card Book would you suggest that I should have in my library?
NIRAG
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of NIRAG
Hello. In French, we have the "Petite anthologie des tours de cartes automatiques" of Richard VOLMER, in 9 volumes, it is a very good publication, but I don't know if these books exist in english ....
NIRAG
WWW.NIRAG.fr
anjomagic
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of anjomagic
@Nirag, WOW those books you described sounds like a goldmine of material. What does "Petite anthologie des tours de cartes automatiques" mean in English?

I will start doing research let me know if you come across the books in English.
NIRAG
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of NIRAG
I am sorry ANJOMAGIC but my english is very too bad !!!! I could translate "Petite anthologie des tours de cartes automatiques" as "Little anthology of automatic cards tricks" I hope you understand me and this is that you want know. I think that it is possible to translate "automatic cards tricks" by "Self working cards"
NIRAG
WWW.NIRAG.fr
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
Karl Fulves: Self-Working Card Tricks
Karl Fulves: More Self-Working Card Tricks
Karl Fulves: Self-Working Close-Up Card Magic
Karl Fulves: New Self-Working Card Tricks
John Scarne: Scarne on Card Tricks
Roberto Giobbi: Card College Light
Roberto Giobbi: Card College Lighter
Roberto Giobbi: Card College Lightest

These should keep you busy for a while.
galerius
View Profile
Loyal user
Piemontese Alps ( Northwestern Italy )
245 Posts

Profile of galerius
I second Uli Weigel's recommendations, lot of 'self workers', and surely you will find something for you.
My advice is also to open some of these links, here
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=206&18
and take a look, most of times sources are indicated ( ah, I don't know if it's just me but the first two ones aren't working ! ).
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of the fritz
Yes, the books mentioned above are the ones I would begin with. It will take time to sift through the less appealing effects, but there is a lot of material there to keep you busy and excited.
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of the fritz
BTW, if you could buy just one... I would start with Scarne on Card Tricks.
anjomagic
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of anjomagic
Thanks everyone for suggesting books, I am actually in the process of looking to purchase Robert Giobbis series Light, Lighter and Lightest.

I have his Card College Series and I like the way he writes.
Oyama
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR.
1054 Posts

Profile of Oyama
Scarne is the way to go.
"it's better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb."
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Anjomagic,
The terminology "Self Working" almost makes it sound like you lay a pack of cards on the table and you sit back and they do their thing.
Getting that out of the way, I would suggest looking for card effects using "Sublety" as opposed to Sleight of Hand. Now for my suggestions:
1- The Card Magic of Nick Trost
2- Scarne on Card Tricks (as mentioned), a very underrated book.
3- Encyclopedia of Card Tricks by Hugard (before the Elmsley count)
There are others, but this is a great start.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
The Card Magic of Nick Trost - yes!
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Zebaztian
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
655 Posts

Profile of Zebaztian
Giobbi is about sleight of hand, isn't he? Then it's not 'self working' or 'tours des cartes automatique'.
My mind reading routines: http://www.basjongenelen.nl/goocheltrucs/. Scroll a bit down to the English routines.
galerius
View Profile
Loyal user
Piemontese Alps ( Northwestern Italy )
245 Posts

Profile of galerius
Quote:
On 2010-05-22 12:04, Zebaztian wrote:
Giobbi is about sleight of hand, isn't he? Then it's not 'self working' or 'tours des cartes automatique'.

Card College, yes ; but the series Light is actually a collection of 'sleightless' card magic. At least, is advertised this way ( I own only the first volume ).
Zebaztian
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
655 Posts

Profile of Zebaztian
And the Giobbi 'lightest' can be done with your hands on your back?
My mind reading routines: http://www.basjongenelen.nl/goocheltrucs/. Scroll a bit down to the English routines.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2010-05-22 12:04, Zebaztian wrote:

Giobbi is about MAGIC. Sleight of hand is a MEANS, not an END. [caps used for emphasis, not shouting] Yes the Card College "main" series is at it says: "A course in sleight of hand card magic." Card College Light and its two successors are sleight-free. The effects contained therein are VERY strong.

Rennie, thank you for chiming in. It really is getting ridiculous that means to the effect overshadow the effect itself. Okay, end of rant. Here are some more suggestions:

Steve Beam's SACT series: do NOT believe what you have heard that all or even a great majority of the effects in this series require huge setups or are merely long and boring dealing tricks. Those who have stated this about the series have never READ the series. There are SOME moves in Beam's work, but NOTHING "knuckle busting."

Another magician's work to check out is Aldo Colombini. A lot of his material requires subtlety versus pure sleights. As a bonus, EVERYTHING he sells on his site is 10.00 USD.

A DEFINITE suggestion, and a very obvious one is the Master Stewart James. I would hope that there is no need to get into how influential James is, and how S T R O N G his magic is.

What I find amusing is the notion that some magicians tend to think that the pure sleight of hand magicians DON'T do effects that are sleight-free.

Partial list of those that have created sleight free effects?

Allan Ackerman, Ken Krenzel, Harry Lorayne, Peter Duffie, Ed Marlo, Dai Vernon, Darwin Ortiz, Daryl (Martinez) Easton, Larry Jennings, Paul Harris, J.C. Wagner, Roberto Giobbi, Theo Annemann ...

Try Larry Jennings' "Impossible", Nick Trost's "Intuition", Paul Harris' "Overkill", Stewart James' "Miraskill", Darwin Ortiz's "Zen Master", Daryl's "Untouched." NONE of these require ANY sleight of hand whatsoever and yet are among the most powerful card effects ever unleashed on audiences.

Anyhow, all of the books mentioned in this thread are excellent.

I think that The Encyclopedia of Card Tricks by Hugard, and The Card Magic of Nick Trost deserve a second mention as does Scarne on Card Tricks. While I DO sleight of hand also - remember, it is just a MEANS - you COULD be a VERY successful card magician just from the material in these three books.

I DO think however that if you are going to do magic, you should have SOME basic sleights in your arsenal. The more MEANS the better. And to the people that eschew sleightless card magic I say that they are limiting their horizons.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I've said it often enough (TOO often, I think) - you can do miracles with only a good control, a good double turnover and a good palm. And, with very good sleightless effects. I've published more than enough of those. HL.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2010-05-22 16:25, Harry Lorayne wrote:
I've said it often enough (TOO often, I think) - you can do miracles with only a good control, a good double turnover and a good palm. And, with very good sleightless effects. I've published more than enough of those. HL.

Amen!!
Zebaztian
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
655 Posts

Profile of Zebaztian
Sleight of hand is a mean, not an end. That's very tru. But if you are looking for info about self working tricks, and you end up with a book on sleight of hand, then you are not very happy. Of course sleight of hand is very handy, but a question about which self working book is the best, is not answered with a statement that sleight of hand works very well. But well, thanks for the suggestions.
dobber
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of dobber
I would add a vote for Scarne On Card Tricks. Not one single sleight in the whole book.
BTW, I think the original question has been addressed quite well. jmo
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Self Working Card Book Suggestion (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL