The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Best Routines in Cups and Balls. (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
paradize
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
398 Posts

Profile of paradize
Greetings ,

Can anyone guide me on this? Who is having great routine ideas or the best teacher on cups on balls on DVD?
Magic is the residue of pre-design fantasies.
Come into my Fantasy www.chandranmagic.com
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
The best teacher on DVD is, by most accounts (including mine), Michael Ammar (ref. his two-volume set on C&B). If you can get his book (The Complete Cups & Balls) to go along with the DVD set, you'll be on an even faster learning curve. The DVD set includes a number of fairly basic routines (which, of course, is where you want to start) and an advanced routine in the form of Dai Vernon's classic routine which is still the gold standard. After you're done with Ammar's DVDs, you may want to go to graduate DVD school. If so, you will find probably want to check out the DVDs that variously feature Charlie Miller, Johnny Thompson, Al Schneider, Bob White, Tommy Wonder....to name but a few.....but start with Ammar.

Fortasse
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
http://www.stevensmagic.com has "The Greater Magic Series, and the one on cups and balls is concise and has many great things.

To start from scratch I would suggest learning the Vernon routine. If you want to leave the herd, think about the Johnny Paul version, or the Ramsay routine.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
magiclimber
View Profile
Veteran user
Boulder, Colorado
315 Posts

Profile of magiclimber
I would start with vernons routine, then Michael Ammars stand up routine.

John mendoza has several good routines as well.

A more complex, but great, routine would be kent gunn's fun shop cups and balls.

Obviously the worlds greatest magic dvds are a good variety as well.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Hi paradize,

This is a topic that has been covered a fair bit, perhaps if you try the search function it may have a few threads already posted.

The advice above is all good though!

Bri
Jonathan Brown
View Profile
Loyal user
Tappahannock, VA
288 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Brown
I agree with Pete- learn the Vernon routine. It combines all the ideas and techniques you will need before you learn anything else. I started with Ammar's VHS tapes way back when, and I can say they are probably your best investment (next to a set of decent cups) that you will make- next to Ammar's C&B book, which can be difficult to locate sometimes. Learn Vernon and take his routine and make it yours. It is a foundational piece that you really need to master before moving on. It will build your confidence and chops.

Best of luck,
Jonathan Brown
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Vernon is the seminal, Ammar is the Practical!
Study both!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you are a beginner or if you want to start with the fundamentals, forget about going straight into the Vernon routine and get the Ammar videos. You will learn the cups and balls from the ground up, and you will learn them thoroughly.

If you asked me what the best way to learn to play the guitar was, I would start you with something that was basic and worked its way up to a finished product. Certainly it is possible to learn to play the guitar by working at a very difficult song piecemeal, but it is much easier if you take small steps and understand them.

And if you use the Michael Ammar DVD's, you will also learn the Vernon routine at a certain point.

However, asking this kind of question is really kind of silly. It's like asking "What is the best double lift?" or "What is the best Ambitious Card routine?" or "What are the most comfortable shoes?"
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
For me the best primer to the cups and balls (which is also a very good reminder for seasoned performers) would be Bob White's Cups And Balls: A practical Approach DVD

Extremely good teaching and covering of the effects, the important misdirection points and moves.

Don't get lost into routines that offer too many variants in the methods: you would end up doing nothing for being overwhelmed with possibilities.

Follow Bob White: you will have a pro's routine that you can let evolve later on, but you will have a routine instead of knowing plenty of moves and having nothing.

... and I'm not a shareholder Smile
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
robbyrob
View Profile
New user
New York, NY
66 Posts

Profile of robbyrob
Yeah, these are excellent sources. Personally, I would start with Ammar, then move to Bob White once you've got the basics. All of Bob's dvds I've seen ROCK!
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Robby,
I wouldn't dare linking the word "basics" with Michael Ammar's DVDs with any stretch of the imagination. "Encyclopedic" perhaps. "Advanced" certainly, but "basics"???

Can you elaborate?
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
dsalley13
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of dsalley13
Paradize,

I have all the routines listed here previously. You can learn a lot from them all, I sure do.

My favorite C&B artist that is not mentioned here is Eddie Joseph. You can get some of his booklets (4 of them deal with C&B only) from Richard Hatch at H&R Magic books or elsewhere. You can also contact the owner of CupsCon.com, Sean Dale ( sean@CupsCon.com ). He may be able to help you with a document he has produced that re-prints all 4 of Mr. Joseph's C&B booklets.

dsalley13
paradize
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
398 Posts

Profile of paradize
Thanks a lot for all your guidance.

Vernon videos :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De2tyFK8WA0

Micheal Ammar videos :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH4HpysHYe8
I also have his DVDs - Part 1 and Part 2.

Eddy Rays Cups and Balls DVD 1 and 2.Just got them.
Johnny Paul version, or the Ramsay routine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI_CgDlFY8k

As per above list :
Below are some of the Cups and Balls Performers that have been mentioned.
John mendoza
Charlie Miller
Johnny ThompsonAl Schneider
Bob White
Tommy Wonder

This is yet a comprehensive list for me to work on my cups and balls routine. Thanks alot.

I am wondering if any magician has produced a bird from that cup instead of Big base balls , fruits , vegetables. Any ideas on producing something different and unique..
dsalley13
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of dsalley13
That's why "Chick-Cups" exist. ;o)

dsalley13

Posted: May 19, 2010 6:25pm
PS: I forgot Dennis Loomis' C&B booklet. It's superb too. The same for the C&B information in the new Ganson book. It's all good and you can learn from it all.

dsalley13
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Quote:
I am wondering if any magician has produced a bird from that cup instead of Big base balls , fruits , vegetables. Any ideas on producing something different and unique..

Many have and many treat them with respect, some don't. There's a thread related to this here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=115

Bri
paradize
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
398 Posts

Profile of paradize
Mindyourmagic ,

Thanks for the link. The sad part is the link is no more working and I cant get to see the chick out of cups...
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Johnny Ace Palmer was the last guy I saw produce baby chicks from cups.
His handling is not explained anywhere, as far as I know, but his performance is on video... probably on his DVD set.
paradize
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
398 Posts

Profile of paradize
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Quote:
On 2010-05-20 16:44, Donnie Buckley wrote:
Johnny Ace Palmer was the last guy I saw produce baby chicks from cups.
His handling is not explained anywhere, as far as I know, but his performance is on video... probably on his DVD set.

Yep, he did it last night on David Letterman.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW0j2EqVoHc
A fine performance in spite of the microphone in the way.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1682 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
On Palmer performance, the loading of the chikcs is incredible, I love it
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Best Routines in Cups and Balls. (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL