The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Magic & Mentalism of Barrie Richardson dvd set (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
My review will be posted this Thursday.

Short preview: At one point, Michael Weber cuts up a Jerry's Nugget box. If that fact makes you wince, these DVDs are not for you.
;)
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
mental4u
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of mental4u
Brad Henderson's post is 100% correct. Probably a first for Brad. ( Just Kidding Brad )

I have met Barrie, watched him perform, visited with him in person, and own his 2 books and now all 3 DVD's. Barrie is a 75 year old, retired college professor. He is a polite man and a professional person/speaker. He is not interested in hype or over production. His materials has been developed and performed in the trenches for 40+ years. He has wisdom, maturity, and intelligence.

I could not give a higher recommendation to any mentalism DVD's ever produced. Thanks also to Michael Weber for adding much needed clarity to the explanations.

Sidebar: Do not pay attention to his performing style, it is his style not yours. Look at the quality of the routines and the years of careful consideration that went into creating them.

Gregg Lancaster
Mental Masterpieces
College Station, Texas
NM
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of NM
I agree with Mr. Lancaster. I think it best to not focus on Barrie's presentation style but on the thought behind it. However,that is true of all DVDs.

If you closely follow Barrie's presentations they are entertaining,well thought out, and very sneaky.Please study his wording on the DVD and in his books as he has mastered the art of getting the most he can out of a presentation.

Barrie Richardson is a gentleman and great guy. Buy his DVDs and books and if nothing else, use his ideas to make your own perfomances better.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9227 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Twist above seemed a bit callous and heavy-handed here as to Mr. Richardson, something he's usually not here on the Café. I've felt as such at times when I watch YouTube clips that are just too long and or somewhat meandering by both the big and small. To each his own on all that but I would like to say while I don't have this new DVD set (being mostly a coin guy and all), I have had the amazing good fortune to have learned one of Barrie's amazing effects, "Impromptu Card At Any Number" and what a marvelous effect it is, just brilliant! Smile

It's not so much the trick but his routining and presentation of the effect, the little things, the interactions with the specs is masterful. I have gone over that manuscript many times beyond completely knowing how to do the effect just to keep soaking in his brilliant manner of presentation and stealth thinking in that of even my own coin magic, heck any magic would benefit from it. The effect taught me so much more than just a great card trick, "His best card trick" as he likes to say. Smile It taught me a tremendous lesson on magic from a giant mind, thoughtful human being and yes a true teacher/scholar of magical excellence. Those who miss this amazing part of this man's work in haste, impatience or by honest-enough ignorance, miss a whole lot indeed.

I am but a humble coin man peddling my simple wares in the shadows of the castle but I realize the real thing when I see it. Thank you Mr. Richardson for a lifetime of giving people your very best, so glad that you're still doing it in yet another mindful offering. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
I admit that the video doesn't do the material justice. Barrie is a brilliant creator, but I don't care for his performing style. That being said, you should definitely check out his material. I would suggest going straight for the books. Theater of the Mind and Act Two are filled with usable material for the mentalist or magician.

I just posted a video review of Theater of the Mind on my blog. You can check it out here: http://www.calebwilesmagic.com/?p=605

Caleb
http://www.CalebWilesMagic.com
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
I did not care for this clip. BUT, it does not do justice to Mr. Richardson's live performances, nor does it accurately reflect his personality.
Mr. Richardson is a warm and dynamic person.
He is perhaps the only mentalist that I remember seeing that made me say,"D***, I wish that I could do that."
Moreover, he is a wonderful person and a great author.
If today, I could spend an hour with any living mentalist, I would pick Barrie Richardson.
If this set of DVDs does not demonstrate the performing style that some people prefer, that is understandable.
But, I would bet that this set will include many "workers."
I am in no way affiliated with L&L or Barrie Richardson other than being a big fan of his.
This definitely goes into the magic budget.
Thanks to Mr. Richardson for making magic and the world a better place.
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1619 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Wanted to let fans of this set know that it's one of the DVDs nominated for the "Best DVD of 2010" poll, which closes Monday night at 11:59.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=90
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Magic & Mentalism of Barrie Richardson dvd set (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL