The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The marquee says... » » "Obscura : A magic show" opens June 18th! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
christiancagigal
View Profile
Special user
SF Bay Area
625 Posts

Profile of christiancagigal
An evening of close-up magic, fairy tales, dark fables and strange happenings.
Opens in June in San Francisco at EXIT Theatre!
For info and tickets please go here!
http://theexit.org/now.html#anchor3971
"Besides the known and the unknown, what else is there?"-Harold Pinter
www.christiancagigal.com
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Great, Christian! I wish I was a bit closer to you!

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
magicianroger
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of magicianroger
Break a leg wish I could be there
christiancagigal
View Profile
Special user
SF Bay Area
625 Posts

Thank you Gentlemen! Here's the new Poster/Poster Card/Graphic for the show!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid......84610494
www.christiancagigal.com
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Break a leg, Christian!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Break a button my friend! You're too far away!
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Lord Freddie
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Lord Freddie
Hope it's a big success sir!
christiancagigal
View Profile
Special user
SF Bay Area
625 Posts

THANKS GUYS!
We got some great preview ink in the SF Examiner yesterday!
http://www.sfexaminer.com/lifestyle/96509074.html

There are a few typos....
www.christiancagigal.com
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
877 Posts

Profile of lin
Smile I'll be going Smile
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Lucky you!
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
dennfox
View Profile
Inner circle
1680 Posts

Profile of dennfox
From the wise words of Paul from a 1997 Cagical performance: Christian! You're the Greatest!
Hugo
View Profile
New user
Texas
46 Posts

Profile of Hugo
So...? Three weeks in, how is the show going? How are the houses and reviews?? Any poltergeist activity?? Inquiring minds want to know...
christiancagigal
View Profile
Special user
SF Bay Area
625 Posts

Well it's been good...and slow....
Firstly audience-wise it's been pretty low attended. But, that's not too surprising for the same thing happened last year at this time. We thought it was the bad economy last June but now I'm thinking it's because June is the month folks start Summer Vacations plans so they just aren't around. And, unless it's a super famous show, why would you want to go to some small theatre when you can go enjoy the lovely nights that have just started, instead? I think like last year, things will pick up from here on out.

But, we have had a couple of sold out nights. And, we've had a couple of really low attended nights too. Tonight I had 9 people. Two Saturdays ago I had only 6 (that was during Gay Pride so one half of this city was partying and the other half was staying away from Downtown.)

But, having only a few people isn't bad. You see, this is mainly a close up show that I do with a camera and screen. I know, I know that makes some people cringe. This show is full of my favorite card magic/story pieces that really require playing flat on a table. And, I make sure to really use the camera frame as my stage and playground.

Anyway, on nights like tonight when I only have 9 people in the theatre, I'll put away the camera and invite the whole group to bring their chairs and come up on stage and sit around my table. So, I get to do a REAL close up show! While I may not be making any money to get by I at least get to make it a fun and special experience for everyone.

Creatively speaking this time has been great! As I said above most of the show is adaptions or straight performances of other's work like the Curators-Paradise Lost or a version of Bob Neale's Sole Survivor. But, it's been great to explore these pieces and their theme's in performance. It's inspired my brain to work on whole other routines. I have three new things I'm working on one of which will probably be in the show by Saturday. The next by next Friday. And another one will probably be used for my next webisode of Obscura. All three similar in theme but very different routines.

And, that's what I was hoping Obscura the Live Show would be all about for me, playing, exploring, experimenting and coming with new ideas to turn into bigger shows later on. This little show is pretty "simple" compared to my previous shows (I don't think I'm going to impress any critics with this show.) But, it's turning out to be some of the most laid back fun I've had performing magic in a long time. This has been refreshing and invigorating for the creative juices and in turn my soul..
www.christiancagigal.com
christiancagigal
View Profile
Special user
SF Bay Area
625 Posts

HEY GUYS
I won the readers poll in the SF Bay Guardian's Best of the Bay!
http://www.sfbg.com/specials/best-bay-20......ightlife
Scroll down to fifth from the bottom.
www.christiancagigal.com
Van Helmont
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of Van Helmont
Congratulations Christian!
Your candour is refreshing and I totally understand how a 'curse' can become a 'blessing'. These kinds of situations, sink or swim, ultimately make us all better magicians. Kudos!

Still, for next year, try beating Lusty Lady and I'll buy you a drink next time you're in Brussels Smile
The Epiphany Before Christmas: this day (12/23/13) I leave the Café for good!
Harlequin
View Profile
Special user
Melbourne, Australia
686 Posts

Profile of Harlequin
Congratulations indeed. Would really love to see your show if I could. You are in some esteemed company in that list. Smile
dennfox
View Profile
Inner circle
1680 Posts

Profile of dennfox
You deserve it! You're the Greatest, Christian!
christiancagigal
View Profile
Special user
SF Bay Area
625 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-07-28 05:31, Van Helmont wrote:
Congratulations Christian!
Your candour is refreshing and I totally understand how a 'curse' can become a 'blessing'. These kinds of situations, sink or swim, ultimately make us all better magicians. Kudos!

Still, for next year, try beating Lusty Lady and I'll buy you a drink next time you're in Brussels Smile

Oh...I don't wish to beat her...no ....no...
For a pocket full of quarters, one LOVES the lusty lady....
If you're ever in town I shall show you =p

C
www.christiancagigal.com
christiancagigal
View Profile
Special user
SF Bay Area
625 Posts

A wee bit of love from San Francisco's oh so trendy 7x7 Magazine =)
http://www.7x7.com/arts/obscura-magic-show
www.christiancagigal.com
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Quote:
Wrapping his cunning card tricks in modern fairy tales (think: a six foot six devil on Bourbon Street and murderous spouses), ...

Sounds good to me...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The marquee says... » » "Obscura : A magic show" opens June 18th! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL