The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Printing on blank cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
The Magic Ref
View Profile
Loyal user
Flint, Mi.
284 Posts

Profile of The Magic Ref
Dave, let us know if it wears well.
Be Young...Have Fun!
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2366 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
My trial with transfer paper did not hold up well , it wore thru even when sPrayed with a finish, I was sure this would work, but it did not,
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2366 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
I just looked at plain cards.com site and it looks like a nice solution, I am going to try it,
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2366 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
Review of Plaincards.com , an ideal low cost solution, it worked perfect in my printer, and I was supplied with plenty of cards, great instruction, very simple too, they are not bicycle quality cards, but for the 5 or 6 people I used them on last night, it made no diference,the cost and time savings was justification for me, also the ability to print any number of a specific card, I do some trade show work, and one client is small, so I would only need to make 20 or so with his logo and a larger account I would do more with their logo, you can print one sheet with 8 different cards, very nice.
If you do not have a printer or your printer has a very sharp turn in it's path, it may not work, so you can go to a kinko's or staples, even a local printer, and it will cost about 5 bucks more.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Question for dave: Are the cards made from Plaincards.com stock opaque like regular playing card stock, or can you see the other side if you hold them up to a bright light? That's an important consideration in the work I do.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2366 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
If held up to bright light, yes you can see thru it, you cannot make out any print, but .. it is like those security envelopes , only heavy card stock, also they are a tiny bit more narrow along the long edge than a regular bicycle poker card, I still say, for $20.00 bucks, it's worth a try, in fact if you try it and don't like it, I bet someone here will buy your unused sheets,
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2010-07-27 08:17, magicjohn2278 wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-07-27 07:10, Dr Spektor wrote:

2) To make the edges "gilded" like gold/silver etc. like old style cards... anyone ever try stacking the decks, and just lighly painting the sides? I worry they will stick together... but there must be a way....???

Presumably it used to be done with real gold leaf... quick search of the internet (here in the UK) gives

http://www.goldleafsupplies.co.uk/acatal......se_.html

I understand that gold leaf is simply applied to the surface and pressed (burnished) on... there's probably more detail onthe website, but I haven't looked.

That is not correct. Before burnishing on the gold leaf the surface must be prepped with a "binder" coat, giving the leaf something to adhere to. I have successfully used a number of different binders, depending on the particular piece - including shellac-based binder, latex-based binder, and even a thinned gelatin mixture.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
750 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Quote:
On 2011-01-09 18:34, Thomas Wayne wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-07-27 08:17, magicjohn2278 wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-07-27 07:10, Dr Spektor wrote:

2) To make the edges "gilded" like gold/silver etc. like old style cards... anyone ever try stacking the decks, and just lighly painting the sides? I worry they will stick together... but there must be a way....???

Presumably it used to be done with real gold leaf... quick search of the internet (here in the UK) gives

http://www.goldleafsupplies.co.uk/acatal......se_.html

I understand that gold leaf is simply applied to the surface and pressed (burnished) on... there's probably more detail onthe website, but I haven't looked.

That is not correct. Before burnishing on the gold leaf the surface must be prepped with a "binder" coat, giving the leaf something to adhere to. I have successfully used a number of different binders, depending on the particular piece - including shellac-based binder, latex-based binder, and even a thinned gelatin mixture.

TW

Thomas,there is a self adhering gold leaf that doesn't require a size.
It's a cheats way out,but it exists.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2011-01-09 18:42, Ray Tupper. wrote:
[...]
Thomas,there is a self adhering gold leaf that doesn't require a size.
It's a cheats way out,but it exists.

If this is the product I'm thinking of, it's not REAL gold leaf, just a gold-colored foil - that is to say, no genuine gold is involved. I've been doing gold leaf work (with real gold) for over twenty years, and I am unaware of any self-adhesive real gold leaf.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
750 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
You'red right Thomas,it is a gold coloured metal rather than gold,though for the edge of a deck I thought this would be acceptable.
With the self adhesive transfer,you wouldn't have to seal the edge of the cards,which you have to do before sizing,or obviously use any size anyway.
I've been gilding for 30 years,with both real and imitation,fun isn't it.
Ray.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Printing on blank cards (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL