The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » SAM or IBM (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
Is The IBM preferable to the SAM. I'm curious. Please let me know what you guys think. I'm on the verge of joining the SAM, but I wonder if the IBM would be better for me. How do they compare?
family/magic/music/life
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
That is a tough choice. Go to both of them for several meetings then decide. That is if you must pick one.

The SAM offers an entertainer's group Insurance Policy. Outside of that they are both great organizations. What you will probably see are many of the same magicians belong to both.

Sometimes, for whatever reasons, one organization may be much, much larger in membership and the monthly meetings are a lot more enjoyable. The only way you will know for sure is to attend several meetings.
Dennis Michael
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
In my case, (and it may apply to you too) only the IBM is close enough for me to join. The nearest ring is about 1 hr. away from me, and the nearest SAM is at least 2 hrs. away, so traveling could also play a big part. However, if both of them are the same distance away for you, go to the one with which you are most comfortable.

Like DenDowhy said, visit a few meetings and get to know the atmosphere and people. I Hope this helps!
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Alphis has it right on: Which is more physically convenient for you?

Is there an SAM Assembly nearby? Is there an IBM Ring nearby?

If both, check them both out and go with the one you are most comfortable with.
Rings and Assemblies vary widely in their quality: some are fabulous, full of helpful and eager members; others are barely hanging on.

Although, sbasscase, since you give your address as St. Louis, which is where the IBM head office is located, that might be the way to go.

John Harness is the secretary of the St. Louis Ring; you can e-mail him at:
john@harness.net
(Besides, with IBM membership, you get the Linking Ring magazine, and it has such REALLY NICE columnists! Smile )
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1439 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
I totally agree with Peter about the Linking Ring. It is an invaluable source of information, having nice columnists like Peter Marucci, Aldo Colombini and much more.

Nevertheless, it has rings in many places so you know that there is somebody to help you if you need. It is really based on Brotherhood.
Smile Smile Smile
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
Thanks Guys,
I have my SAM application, and I have sent for my IBM app. I will try to attend some meetings, and find out a bit about my local rings. You've been a big help, as usual.
family/magic/music/life
Joe M. Turner
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta, Georgia
248 Posts

Profile of Joe M. Turner
The IBM also has a liability insurance policy that you can join.

The decision to join one or the other cannot be made based solely on the national/international features or benefits. The real joy in belonging to a magic club comes in the actual interaction with people in the local organization. If you only have one option, then you take it.

If you have both, check them both out. In Atlanta, the SAM is much smaller than the IBM. It is more restrictive in membership, and it is also less "active" compared to the IBM group, although the two groups share many members. Each club has its own character and flavor.

I'm sure this is much the same elsewhere -- one club is more actively involved in various functions, more visible... the other is less active and more of a socializing opportunity. It all depends on what you're looking for.

I belong to both.

JMT
Regards,
Joe M. Turner
turnermagic.com
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Joe,

Your answer is really great! I was unware of IBM policy, but then we never talk about IBM, it's just magic everywhere. Besides, I never asked! Thanks for the info.
Dennis Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » SAM or IBM (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL