The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Peek deck question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
I posted this question in the gaffed forum and never got an answer. Thought I'd ask here.

In a reverse Svengali type peek deck, how do you prevent spectators from accidentally looking at more than one card? Peeking a card in a banded deck can be a bit tricky depending on how you do it. Sometimes the thumb slips and other cards show or part of the thumb pad gets just enough of the card below to lift it about halfway before it releases down. Or perhaps the spectator decides to change his mind? Does this ever happen? It happens to me occasionally when I'm doing it myself.
LLL
View Profile
Inner circle
1574 Posts

Profile of LLL
Hi Jonathan, It shouldn't really be a problem. What you need to is be very clear in your instructions and spectator management. If you take them through the peek step by step, you can make sure that they have a card lifted up before "looking at" the card even comes into play. Work out what you are going to say, use gestures to reinforce your instructions, and be confident.

Hope this helps.

Andy
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Tell them and show them what you want him/her to do. Be clear.
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Go out somewhere today. Put a rubber band around a pack of cards and get people to look at one. Tell them it is for a psychological study. Write down the cards they look at for congruency. Pay attention to what they do. It shouldn't take you more than three or four people to figure it out.

Then read what Tarbell has to say about all this. Actually do that first.

Hope that helps.
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
What tarbell has to say about peek decks?
PsiDroid
View Profile
Inner circle
2164 Posts

Profile of PsiDroid
Jonathan :is not true nobody answered you in the other thread but you seem to scoff any answer you don't like

I for one find hard to impossible believe you have the years of experience you claim to have on stage and in magic when you ask such basic things

either I'm too suspicious or other people here are too GULLIBLE

you are quickly becoming like eshla :

wake up: there is no magic bullet : do your research or do you prefer mr.Dekolta reading the tarbell to you ??
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
Quote:
On 2010-05-19 09:41, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:
Tell them AND show them what you want him/her to do. be clear.

Well, that's the problem. I'm not sure how it should be done because I haven't been able to figure out the best way to open the deck to minimize the danger. Should the deck be slightly beveled or straight? Use the corner? How to hold the deck? etc. That's what I've been playing around with but it's hard to predict how it will affect a spec.

The easiest solution is to have them open it before looking at it, but I'm not sure how to structure that so that it seems natural. I can demonstrate it the right way and hope they mimic me. They probably will, I just can't afford for anything to go wrong since it's on live TV so I want to minimize the chances of disaster.
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
Quote:
On 2010-05-19 12:33, PsiDroid wrote:
Jonathan :is not true nobody answered you in the other thread but you seem to scoff any answer you don't like

I for one find hard to impossible believe you have the years of experience you claim to have on stage and in magic when you ask such basic things

either I'm too suspicious or other people here are too GULLIBLE

you are quickly becoming like eshla :

wake up: there is no magic bullet : do your research or do you prefer mr.Dekolta reading the tarbell to you ??

I don't have experience in magic, I have experience in mentalism. And yes, you are too suspicious. I could spend a ton of time doing research, but the point of this board is magicians helping magicians (or in this case, mentalists) to save all the time by learning what others have researched. Collective knowledge. Not sure why some on here have such a problem understanding this.

And no one answered my question on the other thread at all. No one even attempted it. The question was asked at the bottom of the thread and there are no responses under it. ???
mysticz
View Profile
Special user
D.C. metro area
680 Posts

Profile of mysticz
Quote:
On 2010-05-19 12:39, Jonathan wrote:
I could spend a ton of time doing research, but the point of this board is magicians helping magicians (or in this case, mentalists) to save all the time by learning what others have researched. Collective knowledge.

It is one thing to be helped (i.e., guided in the right direction) and quite another to be spoon-fed. Magicians and "mentalists" who seek quick and easy answers will forever be the most ignorant and least appreciative practitioners of this craft.

Go get your Tarbell's, open it, and learn something.

JZ
Joe Zabel
"Psychic Sorcery"

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

-- Shakespeare's Hamlet I.v. 174-175
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Joe Zabel is right.

How many times here I saw people that - either not allowed to know a secret or not spoon-fed again and again - simply invoked AND misused that line of "magicians helping magicians" which had nothing to do with the reasons people did not let them in to a secret AND was bored to spoon-fed (and sometimes even argue back and forth) with them.

Not personally directed at you, Jonathan, but people should STOP to misinterpret that line for their own convenience when the answers they get are either not liked by them or are objections to what they have stated as truth.
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Quote:
On 2010-05-19 12:33, Jonathan wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-19 09:41, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:
Tell them AND show them what you want him/her to do. be clear.

Well, that's the problem. I'm not sure how it should be done because I haven't been able to figure out the best way to open the deck to minimize the danger. Should the deck be slightly beveled or straight? Use the corner? How to hold the deck? etc. That's what I've been playing around with but it's hard to predict how it will affect a spec.

The easiest solution is to have them open it before looking at it, but I'm not sure how to structure that so that it seems natural. I can demonstrate it the right way and hope they mimic me. They probably will, I just can't afford for anything to go wrong since it's on live TV so I want to minimize the chances of disaster.

1) go to youtube and find "tossed ou deck" watch how this guy do it.

2) put around the deck 2 rubberbands. one way do this is crosswise or put one rubberband around the area where the angle's hands are in a bicycle deck. that is 2 rubberbands on one deck. hope this is clear.

3) don't be afraid. anything will happen once that's for sure, so relax and just do it. I tried the process on the neighbourhood kids (7 to 10 year olds). if they understand an adult is easy.
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Oh... And one more thing...

Why on earth, if I may, you would want to perform something you clearly don't know how to handle well and probably never tried ... for your TV appearance?

I know that most people (the non-workers) will find my question dumb.

But I also know that some other people (the real workers) will get my point.

Reality Check: I am not familiar with Mentalism, I'm not familiar with TOD. I have a possibly important spot on TV. And what I perform? TOD.
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Quote:
On 2010-05-19 12:33, PsiDroid wrote:
do you prefer mr.Dekolta reading the tarbell to you ??

Technically it's possible if Tarbell wrote his book to the age of 6 but highly unlikely Smile
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
I disagree, jonhatan has lot of experience, he has 1135 posts !

it means I'm have more experiences than him but far less than Paolo (4090).

Hmm Psidroid has more experiences than me !
!@#$ !
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

4093 posts to be exact!
ParaLabs - Thomas
View Profile
Special user
913 Posts

Profile of ParaLabs - Thomas
Oh my God - so help me ... I'm the most clueless by far!! Smile
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Quote:
What tarbell has to say about peek decks?

That question speaks for itself. Maybe we could paraphrase Dunninger "Those that will read no explanation is necessary, to those who will not read no explanation will suffice."

Did you put the rubber band around a pack and give it a go over lunch? It would haven taken you all of ten extra minutes and you would absolutely know the answer to your questions.

Now you have no way of knowing this but I could have gotten in my car, driven to your home in Oklahoma, and shown you what to do in the amount of time between your first two posts.

Go try what I suggested then report back and tell us how it went. Or don't and keep hoping someone who has gone out and learned what to do will bless you with the secret knowledge merely for asking - again and again and again.

When you can't be bothered to pick up a pack and try the advice you are given then don't complain when people don't answer your questions.

Quote:
Reality Check: I am not familiar with Mentalism, I'm not familiar with TOD. I have a possibly important spot on TV. And what I perform? TOD.

Paolo - exactly.
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-05-19 15:16, bdekolta wrote:
Now you have no way of knowing this but I could have gotten in my car, driven to your home in Oklahoma, and shown you what to do in the amount of time between your first two posts.

Not to split hairs, but from the island of Tortuga to Oklahoma is a looooong trip... And I don't even know how you could make it just by car! Smile
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Quote:
Not to split hairs, but from the island of Tortuga to Oklahoma is a looooong trip... And I don't even know how you could make it just by car!

You know me better than that! I was going to use the method from Tarbell...
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
My tossed out deck...Outta Sight, solves many of the problems you refer to and solves the problem of more than one card slipping off the thumb.

Devin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Peek deck question (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL