The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Sherlock Holmes (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Daniel Stashower wrote an excellent autobiography of Conan Doyle, Teller of Tales. You'll find a lot of material for a Sherlock Holmes presentation in this book.
Dan is also a very serious amateur magician.

Best,
James
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1843 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
A pipe
A hat
A walking stick
A pocket watch

......Holmes is very inspirational but the whole story is so much deeper....
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1618 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
AND . . .

A magnifying glass.

A tape measure.

A microscope.

George
IbiMania
View Profile
Regular user
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
108 Posts

Profile of IbiMania
While Sherlock Holmes presentation can be fascinating, there are a lot of very valuable resources on tells and observation part of cold reading that have nothing to do with sherlock.

This thread touches a great subject and I do believe, as mentioned earlier here, that using a small tell at the right moment can be very strong; However by limiting it to one author's mind and how others perceive it, are we not limiting the potential of a great topic?

I will mention some resources that do not associate with sherlock by name or mention but have some valuable insight into tells and observation.

1) Ian Rowland's Full Facts book has a portion on tells
2) Reading People by Joe Ellen
3) Unmasking the Face (I cannot recall the author at the moment but ill look through in a bit a post)

I mentioned the three above because they take different approaches to finding out different things about people.

I believe you can deduce in a sherlockish way by studying literature on this matter.

Another way would be to just apply good old cold reading and appear like Mr. Holmes.
Davidzajac
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Davidzajac
Not that it matters but when I started doing mentalism, when I broke both my legs two years ago, I came across a book called mastermind and in it was the essential art of deduction. Since then I bought Sherlock Holmes, the completed works by Doyle. At the store when I bought it recalling what I had read I thought this is perfect for anyone who wants to learn how to read people. At the same time I noted a certain mentalist on television who could recall some of the classic stories. I thought it was essential and I think the common perception is that these things are exceptional. That is how as a neophyte I have come to view anyone who uses his mind in this way. And I ask myself what would Sherlock Holmes do. Oh and if you wanted to appear to be on your guard all the time it requires a lot of practice but you can learn by that. Oh and your wrong it's a thought process that was invented in the Victoria era based on scientific deduction.
MrRyanD
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of MrRyanD
I think all mentalists would like to have the amazing powers of deduction that Sherlock Holmes possesses, however I feel they are a little farfetched. I take great pleasure in reading the works of Conan Doyle and the adventures that the World Famous Consulting Detective has but I do think that they should be staple reading material for mentalists. Not for the fact that we expect to learn how to become deductive masters but that we might take more information from the tales. I do think that mentalist can learn a lot about becoming more observant about people. In some small aspect I think that becoming more observant we can see things that other people may not notice and state them as almost a mind reading feat. (I have had success on this before noticing a particularly shiny charm on an otherwise dull bracelet and clairvoyantly asking what the special occasion was recently. - Turns out it was her birthday). Also asking questions as a mentalist and taking in all the facts and deducing what the person was thinking of, something Holmes does himself and we would be able to do as well (Again I have a high success rate of working out what people want to study at Uni or do as a future career from what they are studying/studied at school or college). Of course this would all be mixed with reading of body language and little cold reading in places to get a more effective hit, but even without the cold reading they are still quite effective.
So maybe the works of Sherlock Holmes aren't exactly a guide book for mentalist's and mentalism but I defiantly feel that with some hard work and trying to embody a realistic Holmes we would be able to become more observant and deductive experts to add a little flare to our routines and repertoire.
Thoughts?
IbiMania
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of IbiMania
I believe, as a mentalist it is much more about appearing to be as sharp as sherlock than to actually be sherlock.

Work smart not hard Smile

I would prefer to appear to have a photographic memory than to attempt to get one.

Similarly, I would find information from obvious tells, and then attribute them to minor tells in order to appear sherlockish.

Of course I would need to have an understanding of the art of observation but I would attempt to magnify it.

Maybe apply a H^t Rea#$*( to find out about their recent visit to Hawaii then attribute it to say their skin texture.

saying something along the lines of "your skin texture suggests that you have recently been to a place with the weather quite opposite of the weather here...You are not a business man so I would eliminate a business trip that means the possible locations of your travel are vacation destinations. And if you have been outside of US, I would believe you visited Egypt, however there are problems there so I am thinking you went to some place within the states. One can think that California would be an option but you have to stay longer for a skin texture like this, and since it was a short vacation, I would say you went to Hawaii"

^Sherlocked!

If this post was too long my point was: appearing to have sherlock like skills is easier and more effective than trying to get his skill which is fiction and thus an exaggeration.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Very nice, Ibi!
IbiMania
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of IbiMania
Thanks Mr. Cassidy, coming from a performer/creator of your caliber, it really means a lot.
Suffolk
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of Suffolk
Colin (Mc) Cloud has created his current show around the premise of being "a modern day Sherlock Holmes" & Alex McAleer had a couple of routines in his last few shows that used this premise.

I'd be shocked if others hadn't done so before them.

It's a well trodden path.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3001 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On May 24, 2010, Jon Hackett wrote:
Ok, so Holmes is a fictional character in a fictional world, observing fictional events.

Sherlock Holmes is fictional!!!!
IbiMania
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of IbiMania
There's a graphic novel Sherlock Holmes vs Houdini coming up in print. No idea if its great news or bad news XD
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18124 Posts

Profile of IAIN
If you like Sherlock, watch Murder By Decree, all star brit cast from the 70s, James mason as Watson, and Donald Sutherland as Robert Lees...

its Sherlock Holmes going after jack the ripper...excellent plot, a bit unsettling in places, and From Hell borrowed some of its art direction from it...
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
Regarding the upcoming novel.

Wasn't in Doyle and Houdini?

Does any one out there use a Holmes persona as their
Character portrayed on stage.

Harris
"New kid on this block "
And
Still too old to know it all
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Davidzajac
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Davidzajac
I agree with you Ryan. In the book I mentioned, the author describes how you could use the thought process to become like a genius at anything you do. Plus it's worth mentioning that my opinion was based on the idea of one day being a detective of sorts myself. Plus working smarter in detective work means thinking like Sherlock Holmes all the time. However, working smarter in mentalism means...
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18124 Posts

Profile of IAIN
...you copy whatever the flavour of the month is? ��
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
My good friend and early PEA member, Elliot Black, was doing a complete Sherlock Holmes mentalism act back in the early eighties, so we're really not talking about a new concept here. (And the theme was around way before that. Dai Vernon's "Fingerprint Card Trick" is a good example.)
voh002
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of voh002
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2014, Harris wrote:
Regarding the upcoming novel.

Wasn't in Doyle and Houdini?

Does any one out there use a Holmes persona as their
Character portrayed on stage.

Harris
"New kid on this block "
And
Still too old to know it all

I know Colin Cloud uses Sherlock Holmes as a running theme in his show, and relate to him in some of his effects, but he does not portrayed him on stage.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
Thanks.

Another example of what's old is new.

Seems like years ago I read about a
Clue based themed routine.

Harris. ....
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Joe Atmore
View Profile
Elite user
Joe Atmore
422 Posts

Profile of Joe Atmore
Also PEA member John Sherwood was performing with this persona for well over a decade.
Best Thoughts,

Joe Atmore
International Artists Consultant Uri Geller's Phenomenon TV Series;
PEA Bob Haines Memorial Award;
Dunninger Show Recreation;
Author of Dunninger Knows and Dunninger's Brain Busters

JosephAtmore.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Sherlock Holmes (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL