The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Sherlock Holmes (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Yes- I remember John doing it as well. I wonder if he was inspired by Elliot or just came up with it on his own, as many seem to have done over the years.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 28, 2014, Harris wrote:
Thanks.

Another example of what's old is new.

Seems like years ago I read about a
Clue based themed routine.

Harris. ....

In the original edition of my second book, "The Art of Mentalism," I wrote a routine called "Clue" that was based on the game. That was in 1982 and I believe it was the first published routine based on the game.

That book also included the first published routine using NLP as a premise. It was called "Neuro Linguistic Thought Reading."
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18105 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I must dust off and revamp my psychic hangman routines...keep meaning to...
IbiMania
View Profile
Regular user
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
108 Posts

Profile of IbiMania
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2014, Harris wrote:
Regarding the upcoming novel.

Wasn't in Doyle and Houdini?

It would make sense since both at least existed. BUT where I heard from "The theory 11 magic news podcast: Expose", it was said to be Sherlock vs. Houdini.
Ben_cardall
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Ben_cardall
I really enjoyed Richard Tenances book, and personally have spent a great many years making as many of the skills as much a reality as possible
MrRyanD
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of MrRyanD
I too have tried to make some of the skills that Sherlock possess reality Ben. Only over the past 2 years though. How far have you managed to get wight he skills? Which ones are possible?
I myself have been working off of the book "Mastermind: How to think like Sherlock Holmes" by Maria Konnkova. The book is mainly psychology based but has some great insights on how to make such skills reality.
Ben_cardall
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Ben_cardall
Most to be honest, at the moment I'm working on experiment to test what I know, the video responses have been quite favorable . Its a personal preference but I just prefer to work hard and smart. Reading people, reading objects, memory work, deduction, observation. I really enjoyed the mastermind book too! excellent read!
Davidzajac
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Davidzajac
Now heres the question, what other books are available to read other then studying the book itself?
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I have just reread most of the Sherlock Holmes stories this summer, and I agree with Bryan. They are great for inspiration, for persona, for atmosphere. But that is as far as it goes. Sherlock was not a mentalist, and his methods - chalky clay on your shoes, etc - are not really practical, except in very limited circumstances.

However the stories are still great reading.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 29, 2014, Davidzajac wrote:
Now heres the question, what other books are available to read other then studying the book itself?

Just go to Amazon and do a search on "Body Language" or "How to Read a Person Like a Book." You'll get plenty of suggestions in addition to those titles.
Alwow
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
548 Posts

Profile of Alwow
Quote:
On Jul 29, 2014, MrRyanD wrote:
I too have tried to make some of the skills that Sherlock possess reality Ben. Only over the past 2 years though. How far have you managed to get wight he skills? Which ones are possible?
I myself have been working off of the book "Mastermind: How to think like Sherlock Holmes" by Maria Konnkova. The book is mainly psychology based but has some great insights on how to make such skills reality.

I actually didn't get as much from Maria's book as I hoped. I much more enjoyed What Every BODY is Saying by Navarro. I suppose because I was looking for more of a direct approach to the skills set I'm looking to acquire vs. maybe more theory in Mastermind. Which even as I type it feels a little strange being a mentalist and "theory" feels like the entire premise of which our world consists of.

I think those of you who have read the book may get what I mean.
"Everything I show you is the truth... And the truth is the loveliest of lies"
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18105 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Personally, I've always found sir arthur conan doyle the more interesting character to study...

i think considering his mindset of being able to work/write in such deductive ways, YET! still believe in what he did - I think that's a more interesting jumping off point, personally speaking...
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

Here's an interesting premise- Ignoring the crazy stuff like the Cottingham fairies, what if Doyle, using the basic skills of Holmes, was actually right about spirit communication?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18105 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Maybe he knew science at the time wasn't consistent enough to be able to test what he knew...so he blew a bit of smoke and went with the fairies?
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12590 Posts

That would work. Doyle could be presented as being much shrewder than he's often given credit for. It could also make a nice tie in to Edison's later work on the so-called "telephone to the dead." (Was he inspired by Doyle or in contact with him?)

Quote:
The “Telephone to the Dead” is the name that was given to the device Thomas Edison was working on in the last decade of his life. In multiple essays on spiritualism written during the early 1920′s (all are available in the book The Diary and Sundry Observations of Thomas Edison by Dagobert Runes, 1948*), Edison tried to grapple with the concept of how the spirit could exist after death. He thought that the “life units” that were unknown by science joined together to create every animate (and possibly inanimate) object. Upon death, these life units broke up into their respective individual units and joined another form after human death.

This is a theory which is obviously unproven and may even be considered patently false because of the technology that has been advanced by ninety plus years since Edison espoused this theory. Edison knew of electrons, and he figured that the life units were even smaller than electrons. Edison based this theory upon the physics concept of energy interchangeability: “I believe, rightly or wrongly, that life is undestructable, it is true, and I also believe that there has always been a fixed quantity of life on this planet, and that this quantity can neither be increased or decreased.” On Edison’s Earth, nothing, not even life, could be created or destroyed; so he therefore assumed that life units changing from one form to another were responsible for all life on this planet.

See the complete article at: http://itcvoices.org/thomas-edisons-tele......or-fact/

IMPORTANT NOTE: Before the skeptics jump in and take this off topic- keep in mind we are talking about fictional premise that may or may not have any basis in fact. It's just an interesting story line for a presentation.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18105 Posts

Profile of IAIN
You could also express it as borderline schizophrenia - one side is Holmes, fighting with/against the spiritualism side...so maybe presentationally speaking - where a Holmes answer isn't forthcoming, the opposite side steps in to provide one...and vice versa...

so really, the angle is the fight within oneself...or maybe the rational mind vs the shadow self...
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18105 Posts

Profile of IAIN
So to calm it down a little, the baseline angle/question is "how far would you go to find the truth about yourself?"...makes it a little more open, maybe?

do we go with answer that soothes and softens, or deal with a harsher reality - which is better? is it always just "the one way" each and every time? plus, where could you go if you unchain your imagination and just go with it?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18105 Posts

Profile of IAIN
...what difference is there in the wisdom between studying an entire book on philosophy vs closing your eyes, expressing a question and then placing your index finger inside the pages and seeking an answer that way?

do we read those kinds of books with the same question in mind? do we want the same answer?

"i want to expand my cognitive thinking, I want to consider who I am in a different way...what can I learn from this book?"

"i seek an answer to a question, I will consult the book and trust that I shall find my answer"...

*my note - these are just concepts floating into what passes for my brain*
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18105 Posts

Profile of IAIN
...and as for the telephone of the dead - you could argue that Doyle saw psychic ability working like batteries - some people are simply more charged up than others..bigger the voltage, the stronger the abillity - having to be over a certain voltage to work and so on...

...plus, I really like the visual of having someone's head covered in wires, with elements of the telephone in the mouth and ear, like a character from Hellraiser almost...

"He thought that the “life units” that were unknown by science joined together to create every animate (and possibly inanimate) object. Upon death, these life units broke up into their respective individual units and joined another form after human death." - would also be an interesting setting for psychometry too...
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2819 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Here is another interesting premise - Ignoring the crazy stuff like spirit communication, what if Doyle, using the basic skills of Holmes, was actually right about the Cottingham fairies?

Sorry Bob, the devil made me do it! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Sherlock Holmes (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL