The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Packing Up Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Okay - I think this question is a little amaturish, but what's a guy to do. Here goes. Do y'all ever pack your stuff while a program is going on? Here's the scenario, sometimes I am invited to do a short show at the beginning of a program. For instance tonight was an AWANA Award Ceremony at a church. I did a 20 min inspirational program to kick off the 1.5 hour program.

I did my deal and moved my stuff to the side of the large stage and quitely packed while they brought kids up on the stage for their recognition ceremony. Everything that followed me was informal, light hearted, and pretty chaotic. But, to be clear, I didn't have a place I could go to pack in private. I was faced with the option of packing while the program was continuing, or waiting another hour to begin packing when the program was over. I felt a little bad packing during the event, but I have to admit I have done this type of thing several times.

I guess I'm looking for some feedback. Am I violating a magicians code or something by doing this? I figure there are at least two issues:
1 - Is it disrespectful to pack while a program is in progress?
2 - Is it okay for an audience to watch you pack, after seeing you perform? Or is that considered "sort of unbecoming of a performer"? Assistants work, so to speak.
From the Encouraging Magic of...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
859 Posts

Profile of illusions & reality
Hi Tony,

I think that this is a great question. All that I can do is share my opinion.

If you can't pack up privately while a program is going on, I think you should wait. Imagine if the shoe were on the other foot. If you were onstage performing, how would you feel if someone were packing up and causing attention to be taken away from you? Although waiting to pack up under these conditions is a tremendous pain, it is also more courteous and professional. If you can move equipment into a far off hall, go for it. But don't do anything that will take focus away from what is to be the center of attention.

Many times I have had to wait to pack up (sometimes for several hours!) when there wasn't a grand drape or wing space. It is rare, but clients appreciate professionalism. I have stood at the back of a hall, reading a book that I always carry with me for just such an occasion.

Even though I have been performing professionally for 30+ years, this is still just my opinion. I'm sure that there are other professionals with differing opinions.

Lou
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Tony,

I would have and have done the same thing. Being that you were performing on a very busy stage with lots of kid traffic, you did the right thing by putting your props away asap before little fingers started to get into to your magic. I've know magician friends to lose props in the same kind of situations.
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
859 Posts

Profile of illusions & reality
Good point about the props. I do very few children's shows, so maybe my comments didn't apply.

Lou
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I see nothing wrong with "packing up" off to the side. I usually, do it behind my roll-on suitcase table or when I carry my Jet Set Back drop, I put it in front of me, so the others are not distracted and they will not see any of the workings of my props.

Think of this way, I have sometimes booked a full day of shows, with only an hour of 2 between them in different locations all over the state. I have to pack up quickly to get to the next gig.
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
WMHegbli - That is exactly what I did. I sort of packed behind my case. And I will say, If I hadn't of moved my stuff off to the side, it probably would have been damaged. I had no idea they were bringing every child on stage in large groups. There were about 3-4 groups of about 60 kids on stage.
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Proper ettiquette under these circumstances may vary somewhat depending on the type of gig. Programs for kids are often a bit more casual than corporate dinners. It is best to play each of them by ear.

Regardless of how unobtrusively you can pack you equipment, the awkward moment comes when you have to actually move it out of the facility, especially if you are trapped on a stage with other things happening and must exit at the back of the room. Timing is everything.

Of course if you have a show that packs quickly, that can help, but I understand that some shows simply take much longer to pack than others. In a case like wmhegbli, who does book back to back shows during busy seasons, I'd imagine he has already addressed that issue, and can pack and go in short order. I've learned to do that as well, but there are other times when a show simply has much more to pack before it can be loaded out (sound systems and other tech stuff included).

My suggestion when you foresee such a situation WHEN YOU FIRST ARRIVE, is to discuss this with the client so they are aware of your need to leave on time, etc. Just do it in such a manner as to achieve an equitable solution, and not make the client think they are dealing with a hired gun with lots of problems. Grace under fire.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I've done the same thing with moving suitcase table to one side and moving my jetset curtain in front of it so as to sort of disappear during the packing.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I usually ask for a place separate from the performing area where I can set-up my act, even if it is only a discreet spot around the corner but relatively hidden from view. At the end of the act, everything is either on the shelves inside my roll-on table, or on a separate folding table I carry with me. That makes it relatively easy to move everything back to the set-up area. Sometimes the set-up area is in a side hallway or separate room. I also ask that my performance take place before the ice cream and cake and the opening of presents. That way there's other stuff to occupy the kids while I'm resetting and packing.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Dick Oslund, who specialized in School Assembly shows had to move from school to school in the same day and didn't have time to pack and re-set.

So what did he do?

He figured out how to do each trick and as each trick was finished he would re-set it (if need be) and put it back in its place. All covered with patter, and reason. So when he finished the show, he'd close his case and leave for the next venue.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Pete - That is an inspiring thought, and maybe a long term goal. I love the idea and have thought along those lines, but the effects I have purchased at this point are a far cry from that ideal.
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Packing Up Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL