The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » No wonder people are hurt by Pitbulls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I have a pit bull named Loki, he was originally named Loco but when I took him off the punks who were mistreating him I changed his name to a less offensive one. Loki is the sweetest, friendliest pit that ever lived. I know everyone says that but he is great and non aggressive to a fault, he was attacked by other pits once and got hurt because he just doesn't like to fight. Either way I realize that some people treat their pits badly and they come from aggressive parents which results in aggressive pits (or other dogs) but I wondered how pits can cause the damage to people I've read about. Now I know. I put a large overstuffed chair outside to replace with another chair. The chair I put out was on a large wood swivel base and made of serious wood and metal frame and it was heavy as heck. My sweet lil' pup dragged that chair 1/3 of an acre on my property and then tore it down to the frame in about 15 minutes! First I never realized he could move the chair but dang, it was impressive what he did. I can imagine with that type of strength and pure tennacity if he wanted to go after someone he could do some damage. Amazing dogs.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2424 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
My son volunteers for the local animal shelter.

Of course, all dogs he meets have already been tested and declared ready for adoption, which might weed out some examples he never sees, but according to him the pit bulls are generally sweet and affectionate ... all they want to do, he tells me, are nibble on his ear A LOT and sit in his lap.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
We've got an 80 lbs pitbull/lab mix AND a 14 month old son. They get along well together. Pitbulls are very sweet... if you have trained them well. They're a willful breed, though, and need to know they are not the alpha dog. Our dog is well aware that our son is the alpha "puppy". When he grabs her toys, she loses interest and wanders away. (This often makes him sad, because he holds out the toys to her, wanting to play tug-o-war with her like daddy does.)
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
My dog that is the alpha is pretty clearly in charge (a yorkie) and Loki has not shown any interest in being the alpha. He's outside now dragging the chair around.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
The best trained, and one of the most well mannered, dogs I ever knew was a pit bull.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
There is only ONE mean animal on earth, and, you can see it on exhibit at the Pittsburgh Zoo. Truly, it is an exhibit called "The Most Dangerous Animal on Earth."

And you can see this animal many other places.

Everyday.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Gee, let me guess what it might be....in fact there is likely just a mirror.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Pit bulls are nice dogs in general, but when they are bad -they are REALLY bad.

Chihuahuas, German Shepards, Afghans and several other breeds are demonstratively more unpredictable and "snappy"...

It's very unfortunate when I see this, and even more unfortunate that rotten people who want a horribly intimidating dog to scare or hurt other people most often go with this breed to to their dirty work.

It's rearing, not breeding that makes these dogs kill.

Here in the bay area I think about 5-10 people a year are killed by pit bulls, and less are killed by other dogs. Pit bulls make the headlines, though.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Yup. Were in in the city when that woman was killed by that huge dog in the apartment building? The breed was named after a Spanish island or city, but they said after the attack that the sale of that breed of dog went through the roof.

Meanest dog I ever saw was a chihuahua in San Jose. That lil' guy would go after kids and get to the end of the leash and snap back then it would go after them again. Only dog that ever bit me was a miniture dauchaund (sp).
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15874 Posts

Profile of tommy
Pit bulls are not very intelligent dogs are they?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I guess not. I just got another dog groomed from a long haired shaggy dog to a short hair no shag dog and the pit doesn't know who it is and has been pushing her around with his nose all afternoon.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15874 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Oh the poor thing....my dog looks like that minus the quills.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-05-21 21:11, tommy wrote:
Pit bulls are not very intelligent dogs are they?

I think they are of middling intellect- according to the kennel club Pit Bulls are not a recognized breed, but the other terriers and retrievers from which Pits were originally stocked are average/above average in dog intellect.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-05-21 20:47, MagicSanta wrote:
Yup. Were in in the city when that woman was killed by that huge dog in the apartment building? The breed was named after a Spanish island or city, but they said after the attack that the sale of that breed of dog went through the roof.

Meanest dog I ever saw was a chihuahua in San Jose. That lil' guy would go after kids and get to the end of the leash and snap back then it would go after them again. Only dog that ever bit me was a miniture dauchaund (sp).

I remember that. That woman who owned that pack of dogs should have been the one to be euthanized... Well, not really, but she acted in a most despicable manner, and I wish she had gotten life, but I think she only got 5-10 for involuntary manslaughter.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
On 2010-05-21 22:28, MagicSanta wrote:
Oh the poor thing....my dog looks like that minus the quills.
Pitbulls have an absolutely incredible pain tolerance. Most dogs do, in general, but pitbulls even more so.

Our dog, being part lab, has "happy tail syndrome". She has no clue how hard her tail's wagging. When we have to kennel her, she'll often end up cutting the tip of her tail against the fences in the kennel place. Then we bring her home and her wagging tail leaves bloody streaks along the walls in the hallway at tail height. I'm glad I've got a durable brand of paint.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Yup, she actually said it was the dead womans fault for going outside during her time of the month and being a lesbian (no kidding folks, that was her argument). That was a biiiig dog she had.

My bassett hound is kind of dopey and in love with the pit. My yorkies are extremely smart and remember words and actions and respond to them. For example if I put on my dress shoes they go nuts because they know I'm leaving the house. If my wife gets her booklet out they know I'm going to the store.
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
471 Posts

Profile of epoptika
I think that monster dog was a Presa Canario.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Pitbulls were specifically bred to be fighters. They are not very smart animals, and even the most gentle looking pitbull is unpredictable.

I have had dogs all my life, and have had two pitbulls. I of course did not have them for pit fighting, and they were very well treated and cared for. However, they are not considered a loyal dog even though they can show loyal qualities. They can turn on you if they want. Not too many cases of it happening, but it has happened.

The smartest and best trained breeds are the Blue Heeler and Boarder Collie. I currently have a pure bred Samoyed. She is the most gentle dog I have ever owned, and absolutely wonderful with our children.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Canario may be right, I was thinking of the Canary Islands, in fact I just looked it up and it is Canario aka Canary!

Hey Dan, Yorkies were also bred to be pit fighters, they use to fight rats. My alpha yorkie is extremely rodent aggressive and she will go after a mouse or rabbit etc like a lunatic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » No wonder people are hurt by Pitbulls (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL