The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » My Foxy 3 Combo Cups .... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Well, they said it couldn't be done (by "it" I am talking about improving on the Foxy 2.5's) but it has and Donnie has obviously applied a brain the size of a planet to re-tooling and creating the Foxy 3 combo cups...

They do everything the Foxy 2.5's did and more... and the weight.. ahhhh the weight!

Donnie's been taking RNT2 to good places and I believe he's truly made his mark with these cups, they're beautiful. If you'd like a few pics and to read a bit more about these long awaited cups then take a look here...

http://tinyurl.com/2w3r5jg

Bri
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Bri

Just had a look and read the review. They look like a fine set of cups, immaculate! I always loved my Foxy 2.5s, these look like a great step forward. Well done Donnie, I'm not in the market at the moment, but if I were, I reckon these would be top of my list!

Scott
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Scott,

Donnie'sattention to detail rocks! They are beautiful cups indeed.

Bri
ClayC
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of ClayC
Do you like them better than Mendozas? Why or why not?
magiclimber
View Profile
Veteran user
Boulder, Colorado
315 Posts

Profile of magiclimber
I got to see a set of foxy 2.5's today, and was really impressed. I can only imagine what these are like, and the fact that they're a combo set is great!

Donnie really is doing a great job, releasing so many new products!

Are these noticeably different than the 2.5's?
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Those look great Bri.

Love the review.
"But there isn't a door"
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Clay, its hard to say but I think if I were working with tennis balls (as I often do) then the Foxy's may have the edge because of the drastic radius at the top for a final display.

magiclimber, the main thing you notice is the added weight, they feel really good to work with.

Tom, thanks!

Bri
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I'll have to take a look at these when I get back from Europe.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
I am a huge fan of the Foxy 2.5's.

Looking to the Foxy 3's right now!

John
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Bill, John...

You wont regret it! I am really falling for these. The heavier gauge feels really nice. There is a very noticeable difference when you pick up a set of 2.5's and then a set of 3's.

Bri
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Thanks Bri!

Now to see about raising the cash-ola!

John
robbyrob
View Profile
New user
New York, NY
66 Posts

Profile of robbyrob
Hey - thanks for the review. I've had my eye these for since I first saw them added to the site. I might just have to take the plunge. My main concern was them being too heavy compared to my other cups, thus causing me to have to re-adjust on moves when I change back and forth between different cups. Hopefully this is will not be an issue.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

I think the key aspect is the way they are balanced. They are heavier but in a positive way... they handle beautifully.
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
Bri - what do they sound like when you whack em with a brass wand tip? Ring like a bell or not?

Thanks
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

I don't think any cup with a spun insert is going to ring like a bell.

Bels of St Mary cups, Johnson's or Bennett cups are what you are looking for if you want a nice sounding cup when you smack it with a metal tipped wand. The tightness of the mouth beads have a lot to do with how a cup sounds too.
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
Quote:
On 2010-05-26 13:08, mindyourmagic wrote:
I don't think any cup with a spun insert is going to ring like a bell.

Neither do I, that's why I asked. I'm hoping someone, some day rises to the challenge and comes up with some subtle insert that allows the cup to sound like a cup. I've seen cups that DO ring like a bell and are chopped, but they are unique and not for sale - and unfortunately not in my collection.

I'm sure James Riser could meet this challenge if he was so inclined, but there's probably no money in it and he'd have to spend a lot of time on his own dime to perfect it.
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

Hideo Kato
magiclimber
View Profile
Veteran user
Boulder, Colorado
315 Posts

Profile of magiclimber
Is ringing that important? I never hit my cups hard enough to create a ring? I mean the JP cups do ring, but I don't use this in performances.
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
It is to me. All part of the spectacle.

Hideo Kato
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Hey Bri,
I love the review you wrote! Thanks, and I'm so glad you like the cups.
I had spun the first couple of Combo Cups from .064 copper and thought they might be "too" heavy, so I did some in .050 copper too. When I described these cups in the CupsCon forum, it was you and the other guys over at CupsCon who all chimed in and said "the heavier, the better".
I took the advice. It was easy to do, because I really like them this way myself! I just wasn't sure that an 8 ounce cup was for everybody...
The Foxy 3 Combo Cups end up being my favorite full size cup in the entire inventory now - whether they are used straight or gaffed.

There is still work to be done with the Foxy design:
1. The Foxy Mini Cups, the cups that started it all, need to come back.
2. A Foxy cup that holds a baseball size load is needed as well.

Once I've accomplished those two things, I'll be really happy.

I am very satisfied with the Foxy design for cups and balls moves. I find that sleights that are performed with the cups rather than with the hands, like the Elevator Move, Tip Off Move & Gallopping Post are just EASIER to do with these cups. Because there are no ridges, or obstructions, around the saddle and because there is no deeply recessed dimple, and because there is a smooth but drastic radius from the center bead to the saddle, and because of the placement of the center bead - moves just click.
Like with a Tip Off move, the placement of the center bead and the diameter of the ball make all the difference in performing this sleight without error every time.

In reality, we owe all those benefits to Mad Jake. He was the genius who engineered their specs. The only improvement I could make to them was to make them heavier and gaff them.

I just wish there was a way that people could sample them, hold them in their hands, and "feel" the cup. Keith Mitchell, a member of this forum, had a clever idea about "Travelling Cups" where a set of cups could be sent like a chain letter and sampled by many people, for just the cost of the postage required to send the cups to the next address on the list. I'm still trying to determine if this is a good idea or not! But it's very interesting. The web connects us all, but it detaches the physical touch that you used to be able to get when you could visit a store in person and handle the cups. Maybe the time is right for an idea like this...
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Anyway we can put a set of Foxy 3 Combos on Lay-away? Now that would help tremendously! Smile

I think I am only partly kidding...

RevJohn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » My Foxy 3 Combo Cups .... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL