The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » My Foxy 3 Combo Cups .... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
I was able to handle the cups when I visited Donnie yesterday.
The weight is excellent on the foxy 3's ....they just feel right.
I like them very much and really think that if someone is on the fence about them they couldn't go wrong with this set.
Mobius
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Portland
662 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
What is the weight of one of these cups "straight"? The RNT2 site says average of 5 oz but that can't be right if they are done in .064 copper.

-Lee
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
So, Donnie. Can you make 'em so they ring when you whack 'em?
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
ASW, I would direct bespoke orders in a PM to Donnie if I were you. I am sure that he will be happy to help.
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
All I want to know is - is it possible?
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

Hideo Kato
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

You have already said that you think it is possible above, you also said that it would probably cost a great deal of money to achieve. So you've answered your own question.

That is why I assumed that you actually WANTED a set, if that's so then the best thing to do is contact Donnie via PM and discuss your order with him.
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
I know it's been done before by someone long dead. But whether THIS particular craftsman, with THIS particular design, is able to do it is a fair query, and entirely relevant to this thread. I know there are other people reading but not posting who would be interested in the answer, so why go to PMs? If Donnie wants to chime in, he will. If not, whatever.

Hideo Kato
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

I see your true intentions but I am interested in building bridges in the cup world, not finding out what's living under them.
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
Say what? You think this is trolling?

You need to lighten up. This is a valid query.

Hideo Kato
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

So you ARE interested in having a set made that "rings like a bell" then? I thought you were only interested in finding out (for all those who are watching but not posting) if it could be done by;

"THIS particular craftsman, with THIS particular design"

Then, as I said, seeing as you are aware of the time and trouble it could take;

"I'm sure James Riser could meet this challenge if he was so inclined, but there's probably no money in it and he'd have to spend a lot of time on his own dime to perfect it."

..then I would (again) suggest that if you really want a set and are interested in making an investment in your "long term quest" then go for it and discuss it with Donnie via PM and get yourself a beautiful and unique set of cups Smile
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Aww, shame you edited your last comment, good job I quoted it then...
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
Yes I edited it because I thought "what's the point?" I figured you had gotten the wrong end of the stick - a hair up your ass - about something. Feel free to quote it in its entirety if you think that progresses the discussion.

Seeing your last post on the previous page, I now suspect I've wandered into some political issue specific to the C&B world (was it mentioning James Riser that did it? He was the first guy who came to mind, seeing as how I have a bunch of items from him in my collection). My query was an honest query. Sorry it lit your fuse. If Donnie wants to answer - great. If not, whatever.

Hideo Kato
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
Seeing as how I'm being monitored for editing, I'll cut a fresh post instead of adding this to the end of my last post:

In answer to your last post on page 1: Yes, I am SERIOUSLY interested in knowing if a set that sounds normal can be made by THIS craftsman with THIS design because if they can be made I will BUY them. The cups are terrific looking - extremely attractive and I can see they are well made. Thanks for your great review - it sparked my interest and led me to your review page. You seemed like a thoughtful, analytical person.

Hideo Kato
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
It is funny in a way how we zero in on such things as how a set of Cups sound... I have a set of RNT2 JM1 Cups, which are traditional shaped and gaffed. They are a double walled constructed and rather than making a clink, clink sound… they go flob, flob that I find just wrong. However when I have shown them to family, no one said that they sounded funny. I still can’t find a reason or routine of having each of the Cups gaffed.

For the record I like the sound of the JP Cups better than the sound of the BSM Cups... they are lower in tone.

All have a great holiday weekend,
Bruce
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
ASW, the Foxy 3 Combo Cups are spun from a thick gauge heavy copper with spun in inserts in each cup. There is no way that these cups are going to "ring like a bell".
The Foxy 3 straight cups are spun from a thick gauge heavy copper also - it's what makes them unique. I've never tested them for "ringing". But because they are spun from heavy copper and the mouth beads are tight, I doubt they will produce any crisp clear ringing when tapped together.
In my experience, MOST well made cups will produce a nice ring when they are tapped with a brass tipped wand though, if that helps.

I think that the cups need to be spun from silver, steel or brass to get the crispest ring from them. The infamous Bells of St. Mary's cups that RNT spun where spun from brass. RNT II spun these same cups successfully out of steel. But a ringing sound has never been a focal point for me and I have no intention of trying to spin .064 gauge brass or steel - which is a requirement for the Foxy 3! I focus pretty exclusively on finish and functionality - how the cups appear and how the cups handle. A cup for a magician is a prop for a performance art. It has a purpose and it's more important to me that the cup meets the demands of its purpose, even to the point that it makes life easier on the performer, and that it looks good doing it!

Honestly, guys ask me all the time for things I don't have. I have 130 variations of cups in stock and it NEVER fails that the question I get asked is "Do you have a framistan made from Pewter?" (Last night I got an email message written through the contact form of the web store that asked, "I was just wondering if you had any cup sets that you sell?" - I'm still trying to figure out how to answer that.)

IMO, The Foxy 3 Cup is the best cup for cups and balls that you will ever use. Period. If you don't like it because it's not spun from .064 brass or steel, then I'm sorry. I say it's the best because I perform the cups and balls and I know these cups are SMOOTH and augment/assist/compliment all the moves. That's what's important, and they look good doing it too!

And Lee, I thought I fixed that typo in the weight... I just updated it again. The straight Foxy 3 Cups average 6.3 ounces each. That's like holding 6 1/2 silver dollars - nice and beefy! (A silver dollar weights 0.94 ounces average.)
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
Quote:
On 2010-05-28 10:32, Donnie Buckley wrote:
ASW, the Foxy 3 Combo Cups are spun from a thick gauge heavy copper with spun in inserts in each cup. There is no way that these cups are going to "ring like a bell".

The Foxy 3 straight cups are spun from a thick gauge heavy copper also - it's what makes them unique. I've never tested them for "ringing". But because they are spun from heavy copper and the mouth beads are tight, I doubt they will produce any crisp clear ringing when tapped together.
In my experience, MOST well made cups will produce a nice ring when they are tapped with a brass tipped wand though, if that helps.

I think that the cups need to be spun from silver, steel or brass to get the crispest ring from them. The infamous Bells of St. Mary's cups that RNT spun where spun from brass. RNT II spun these same cups successfully out of steel. But a ringing sound has never been a focal point for me and I have no intention of trying to spin .064 gauge brass or steel - which is a requirement for the Foxy 3! I focus pretty exclusively on finish and functionality - how the cups appear and how the cups handle. A cup for a magician is a prop for a performance art. It has a purpose and it's more important to me that the cup meets the demands of its purpose, even to the point that it makes life easier on the performer, and that it looks good doing it!

Thanks for the info. I'm personally only ever interested in copper cups.

For me, the cups have to do the job, look great AND sound like cups. I'm not alone in this - some of the biggest names in magic (and cup collecting) agree with me. It may not be an issue that is discussed a lot on magic forums (though BCS mentions above he has cups that "just sound wrong" so it's not unheard of) but it certainly gets discussed when I hook up with people who do the cups. I completely respect that there are folks for whom this isn't an issue - and my query should not be taken to be some sort of criticism of your cups. Those cups look great. It just means that if I buy a set they are now likely to be the ungaffed ones for a straight routine.

Quote:
Honestly, guys ask me all the time for things I don't have. I have 130 variations of cups in stock and it NEVER fails that the question I get asked is "Do you have a framistan made from Pewter?" (Last night I got an email message written through the contact form of the web store that asked, "I was just wondering if you had any cup sets that you sell?" - I'm still trying to figure out how to answer that.)

All I can tell you is that my query is not some sort of hare-brained, tire-kicking, amateur-hour, John-question. If you want to file it under "buyers say the darndest things", well go ahead. It's a legitimate question. Combo cups have been made before that sound closer to normal and I hope they'll be made again. The guy who perfects a method to deliver them again will have a unique selling point. Something for all cup builders out there to consider.

Anyway, thanks for responding directly. It appears I stumbled into some sort of partisan issue in magic with the OP, but I'm glad I finally got an answer straight from the source.

Hideo Kato
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

"ASW", it was the manner in which you did it and nothing else. No politics or partisan issues of magic, nothing to do with J Riser or the dark side of the moon, sorry to dissapoint you.

If you want something making or just want to know if something can be made don't issue it as a challenge it makes you look bad.

If you want to carry on the belief that I am being political or have a beef with someone then you are free to do so but I have nothing else to say on the matter.

As for the Foxy 3's, I'm still loving them! I have not put them down. I usually practice daily with many varied sizes and weights of cups but I really like the way these feel.

Of course another advantage of their weight is when you adjust the ball correctly simply allowing the weight of the cup to dislodge the ball comes into play too making it look very natural.
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
"mindyourmagic" - like I said, I'm glad I finally got an answer from the source.

Hideo Kato
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Me too Smile

My name's Bri
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
Well, keep the reviews coming Bri.

Andrew

Hideo Kato
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » My Foxy 3 Combo Cups .... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL