The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » My Foxy 3 Combo Cups .... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
Brian - I don't personally know too many people making cups. I had a quite expensive custom set made. The set was beautiful - a fantastic, classical style with the most gorgeous copper patina of any cups I've ever owned - and heavy as anything. They looked and felt and worked just fine but after awhile the sound didn't do it for me. So now they are in Bill's museum. They are a one of a kind, custom set, never to be repeated - the nicest looking cups I have ever owned.

So the answer is, yes, if it can be done properly I will pay for it. My mission now is to find out who can do it and is willing to do it - and so we return to my initial interest in this thread.

I may ask Joe Porper about this as I know he's always up for a challenge.
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
I think tenactiy may prove worth while Smile I have not given up on my initial quest (though my arms grew shorter than the insides of my pockets at one point), I'm sure we will both get there... eventually!

Bri
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I was at Jimmy Bix's Magic Shop last night in Vienna. He has a set of jumbo Willi Seidl cups that are made of copper. Two of them ring almost like a bell. The third rings at a tone 1/2 step below the tone of the other two.

BTW, you might contact Auke van Dokkum and see if he would be interested in making a set of copper combo cups. I know he really isn't fond of machining copper in his CNC outfit. He says that it tends to gall. However, he might be interested in trying it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
Thanks Bill!
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1050 Posts

Profile of tdowell
Quote:
On 2010-06-01 13:15, Donnie Buckley wrote:
If you know me, you know I have Magpie Syndrome: an attraction to shiny objects.
I want ALL cups in Sterling Silver!
Financing a cup set in sterling is pretty steep. The real problem with the costs of production is that the silver had a tendency to crack when I start the mouth beads and there was a lot of loss taking place... That Argentium Sterling Silver is totally new to me and I went through so many silver blanks just to get a dozen sets of PF Mini cups, it was ridiculous. I can't jack up the price to cover the time and materials that were lost in production, so I just eat it - hence, the cups get made and we don't make any money off them. At least the cups got made!

But, yes, eventually I'd like to make the PF Cups and the Foxy 3 in sterling silver.

I stand corrected Donny, and appreciate my silver mini PF cups more than ever. Actually I was also thinking about the steep rise in the price of silver lately and the cost might be fairly closer to $2K for a set. Still cheap for sterling cups. I'll be interested to see how much and if Brett ever makes another run of silver engraved.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
My Foxy III Combo Cups arrived this morning. What a delightful set of cups! I'll have photos up on Monday.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Bill,

They're nice ain't they? Smile

I seem to recall you having a hand in the design of these a while back on here?

Bri
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Not really that much. Maybe a few suggestions.

These were really Donnie's idea.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Grasshop34
View Profile
Veteran user
Cincinnati, OH
308 Posts

Profile of Grasshop34
Does anyone know if the foxy 3 cups can do the roll back move like the Mendoza cups can? I'm still trying to decide which combo set to buy. Thanks
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Yes they will, however they have a little more bias towards being mouth up than the Mendozas. If you normally catch the cup back in the hand when it is saddle towards the audience then you will be fine with both cups.

For a full roll back (360) then you want a cup that is not double skinned or chopped as a rule.
Grasshop34
View Profile
Veteran user
Cincinnati, OH
308 Posts

Profile of Grasshop34
Thanks do much for the info. Your posts are very appreciated in the Café.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

You're welcome, and thank you.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Very informative thread.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

By the way, those cups now have the most beautiful coffee coloured patina.... (sorry Donnie!)
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
My Foxy 3 Combo Set in Satin Copper arrived yesterday, and, I must say that THESE ARE, QUITE SIMPLY........MAGNIFICENT!!!

I love 'em!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » My Foxy 3 Combo Cups .... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL