The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » R.I.P. Martin Gardner (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Here's James Randi's tribute.

Quote:
Martin Gardner has died. I have dreaded to type those words, and Martin would not have wanted to know that I’m so devastated at what I knew – day to day – had to happen very soon. I’m glad to report that his passing was painless and quick. That man was one of my giants, a very long-time friend of some 50 years or so. He was a delight, a very bright spot in my firmament, one to whom I could always turn to with a question or an idea, with any strange notion I could invent, and with any complaint or comment I could come up with.

I never had an angry word with Martin. Never. It was all laughs and smiles, all the best of everything.

Forgive me for writing this without any editing. It’s just as it occurs to me.

I can’t quite picture my world without him, and just yesterday I printed up a new set of mailing labels for him, plus stationery, which didn’t get mailed. For the last few years I supplied him with that small favor, assuring him that he should notify me when he ran out, but he never did, because he thought it was too much trouble for me. Only when I received a letter from him last week that was hand-addressed, did I know that it was time for another shipment to Oklahoma.

He was such a good man, a productive and useful member of our society, and I can anticipate the international reaction to his passing. His books – so many of them – remain to remind us of his contributions to us all. His last one was dedicated to me, and I am just so proud of that fact, so very proud…

It will take a while, but Martin would want me to get on with my life, so I will.

It’s tough…
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
Sorry to hear about Martin!

It's all over Twitter and only one post on The Café.
thorndyke
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of thorndyke
This is rough, but for someone around for so long he certainly packed a lot in to his time here. Yesterday, while I was clearing out stuff for a magic club swap meet I happened across his book dealing with premonitions about the Titanic disaster. which I decided to keep and now I am glad I still have it. I saw him more of a skeptic than magician, but I imagine that's because most of hos work that I have seen is in that area.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Thank you for letting me know and for the tribute. His passing is a great loss to our art and its a very sad day. He was a real bright fellow.

May he rest in peace.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1588 Posts

Profile of gmeister
Martin Gardner will be eulogized both within the magic communities and without as befits one of the true Renaissance men. It's amazing how many fields list works by him as seminal. I had occasion recently to turn to his magnificent ANNOTATED ALICE to glean some of his penetrating comments on symbolic/mathematical logic. It just reminded me of how great and all embracing his knowledge was, something matched only by his creativity.

He was truly one of a kind and his parting will be deeply felt even as his life will be joyously celebrated.

gary
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
He gave so much, influenced so many with his wide-ranging curiosity.
Thanks for all, Mr. Gardner.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
He leaves behind an invisible city where paths he crafted of words permit us to travel from our mundane world up, across Plato's Divided Line, into and around some of the wonders discovered in mathematics.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2126 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
It's a time to cry.

Bon Voyage, Martin. Thank you for everything. We'll miss you so much.

Ben
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I don't think I've ever been this sad about a broken wand.

His Alice in Wonderland is my favourite book.

:( Smile Smile
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I only knew of him from his maths, magic and scientifc writings. I shal miss his contributions in all these areas.

Thank you Martin and goodbye.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
It's rare to know a man who accomplished as much as he. We stew and mull and squeeze our brains to come up with whatever little thing we do...and then there was Mr. Gardner's body of work. What a mind!

Me and Mr. Herrer are having some quiet bourbon tonight.

Sad.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Nosher
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Nosher
Vale, Martin Gardner. Man of letters - and numbers.
Escapemaster-in-chief from all sorts of houdingplaces - Finnegans Wake
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5472 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Gardner (much like Jerry Andrus) was a man that I thought would live forever. It never occurred to me that he might one day die, and now that he has I actually find myself not knowing what to think or feel. I'm actually (surprisingly) shocked, and certainly saddened by the loss.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Martin Gardner gave me my first truly aesthetic moment in mathematics.

It was 1977 or 1978; I was in high school. One day I was sitting in the magazine section of our school library, hoping to catch a few words with a young lady that I liked. She hadn't arrived so I picked up Scientific American while I waited. Martin's column that month was about proof by contradiction; Martin used the formal name reductio ad absurdum. The idea is simple and beautiful. If you assume that A is true, and then follow a series of valid logical steps and reach a contradiction, then you know that A must be false. I had never seen this before and there was something absolutely magical about Martin's presentation.

Once the groundwork was done, Martin was able to completely blow me away. He traced through Euclid's proof that there are an infinite number of prime numbers. Euclid's proof is ingenious. Assume that there are only a finite number of prime numbers. If this is so, one of them must be largest, call it P. I'll leave the rest for now. But it is fair to say that that column changed my life.

There is an old saying that when the student is ready a teacher will appear. Thank you Martin Gardner for appearing in my life at just the right time.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Martin was a kind and generous man, always willing to listen to and share ideas with me, without ego.

Very sad news.

- entity
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
Ugh. I am without the right words at the moment.

Martin was an amazing and inspiring man. He will be missed. I am only happy to have had the pleasure of speaking with him by phone only a couple of times.
TomasB
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1144 Posts

Profile of TomasB
Very sad hearing about this. I'll miss that extraordinary guy.

/Tomas
The Futurist
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of The Futurist
Martin Gardner's books were what got me, a recreational-maths fan, into magic and mentalism in the first place. He had an immense talent for exposition and for making complex concepts accessible. I'm very sad to hear of his passing, and my sympathies to his family and friends at this time.
cairo
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of cairo
Sad to hear of the passing of one of our very greatest contributers. My heart goes out to his family an friends.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » R.I.P. Martin Gardner (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL