The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Two new illusions! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
davekilpatrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Syracuse, NY
283 Posts

Profile of davekilpatrick
Check out Hank Lee's site (www.magicfact.com) and click on "Hot List." As of today (4/10/02) he has two new illusions from Argentina's Anton Corradin that will be exclusively sold by Hank Lee.

One is called "Gift Surprise" which allows for an appearance of an assistant (or Santa) from virtually nowhere. It is difficult to guess, based upon the pictures and description, how this could be done. It's only $700. (Not bad for a stage illusion, but I expect that the props are quite inexpensive to produce). If this lives up to it's description, this looks excellent.

The other is "The Lounge Levitation" (actually, it looks like a suspension in the sense that no rising/floating occurs). With a few moments observation of the pictures, it will become apparent how he is doing it (i.e., if you're familiar with illusions–I don't mean that audiences will figure it out). VERY clever application of an old principle. My only gripe is the price! $2,900 for applying an old method (if I am correct here) that could be purchased for $300 to $700? Yes, the props and routining may be way ahead of other versions of the trick using this same basic method. Maybe $900 or even $1200, but $2,900 seems steep. Maybe I'm missing something here. If the assistant actually rises, then the $2,900 would be very understandable, and actually a good price. But for the basically Super-X style effect, this looks like an excellent idea with a very expensive price tag.

What do you all think?
RangeCowboy
View Profile
Regular user
Long Beach
198 Posts

Profile of RangeCowboy
With Lorenzo and Lorraine 3-in-1 now available at 1/3rd price, I fail to see how HankLees Lounge Suspension will go very far. Its way too expensive for what it is.

I didn't see a couch in the pictures, so I wonder if they have figgered how to do without one.

The Gift Surprise looks like it might be a Kevin James B****** B** idea or B***-A-R***
depending what name its known by and at roughly the same price.

Wouldn't want to try it with my sister though!
davekilpatrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Syracuse, NY
283 Posts

I don't think the Lounge Levitation and the 3 and 1 are in the same category for comparison, for a few reasons.

I visited the site for the 3 in 1 Levitation and must say it is very impressive, and the price is extremely reasonable. However, I can't see myself getting it anytime soon because of two practical elements: the personnel required and space involved. While I do 70 to 100 paid bookings a year, less than a fifth of them have the space, and I typically work alone, but could use helpers.

The Lounge Levitation appears to be a super-X type suspension (i.e., no rising/floating) and is in a different category than the 3 in 1 which is a true levitation (if my assumption is true that there is no rising/levitating aspect to The Lounge Levitation).

Ironically, levitations typically cost more than suspensions, but not in this case. Regardless, the Lounge Levitation would require less personnel and less space for set up and therefore more practical for performers like me. But again, the price seems much too high. Given the rather reasonable price for the other illusion by the same guy, this price seems all the more surprising. Maybe there's something we don't know about the effect that requires the higher price.
davekilpatrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Syracuse, NY
283 Posts

On further inspection of the photos and rereading of the description, I think I have a theory on the Gift Surprise illusion.

First, Range Cowboy suggested B***-A-R***. But the description says no special staging or lighting requirements. Also, they are pretty far from the curtain to get away with that. Part of it involves an old illusion principle, readapted in a way quite different than I've seen before. If I am right, I would like to see what the performer looks like walking out on stage with the gift box.
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1348 Posts

Profile of reedrc
Hello Guys. I'm on the consulting team for the 3 in 1 Levitation. We've actually JUST RELEASED a smaller, lighter version to suit your needs. It now weighs approx. 130 lbs and comes in one box (48"x18"18") . Also the backstage space needed is only about 6 foot x 6

Setup time:
Regarding set up time, of course you get faster the more you do it! It can be set up in under 5 minutes if you have some mechacinical skill. most of the time we leave it intact and just load it on the truck since it is virtually indestructable.

The height of the levitation can reach up to 4 1/2 feet with any of the levitation methods. However if you want it to go higher we can custom build a unit that will go as high as 8 foot.

Now for under 1,000 bucks thats a HELL of a deal Smile Just my two cents Smile

~Ryan
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed
Founder, Illusion Entertainment

designer, director, theatrical consultant, digital wizard, magic impresario, wonder aficionado, Illusioneer & dream architect.

Instagram
Facebook
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
$2,900 is a lot of money for something that appears to be a Super-X (The Lounge Levitation)

The other appears to be a $700 cardboard box
Dennis Michael
davekilpatrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Syracuse, NY
283 Posts

Ryan,
(regarding the 3 in 1)
Your improvements are making it seem even more interesting. My 13 year old son is 5'9" and 165 pounds. He could do the back stage work, right?

I would like to see a movie of the other two versions of the 3 on 1 as well. I would also like to see the part with the casters. Any chance that will make it to the web site? The site looks great now, by the way.
davekilpatrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Syracuse, NY
283 Posts

Dennis,

If this is a souped up super-X, forget about the price for a minute. Wouldn't you admit it looks like one of the coolest versions of the super-X? (But, ouch, that price hurts).
Saydean
View Profile
Loyal user
Omaha,Nebraska
206 Posts

Profile of Saydean
Hey Dave,
Saw your post and wanted to reply , YES your son could do it and if you rig it correctley( I'll show you how) a 10 year old could do it. We chose not to tape the other versions simply because they are somthing everyone has seen done . I will probably add that over the next few months however. I appreciate your positive views on the 3 in 1.
Dutch(Lorenzo)
Fantasy Knight
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto,Ontario,Canada
244 Posts

Profile of Fantasy Knight
Reedrc,

Hello there, well you got my interest now i herd about this version from several custumers in my shop and i would like to pick one up and i have a custumer also that would be interested if i get one first he said and tell him how it is from my opion so could you send me some prices and maybe a wolesale discount for one incause my custumer decides he would like one, fax me a pic anything you got on it to 1-519-627-2722, if you could figure out the prive in Canadian and who knows i'll order mine then!

Magicaly Yours owner of TrickyRickysMagic&FunSHOP in Wallacecburg Ontario,Canada -----Richard Anderson Smile
Grew up near one of the greatest minds in magic the late Stewart James, in a town called Wallaceburg just 15 mins from Courtright where James could be found, time and time again he would inspire me to always be creative and just love all magic.
Saydean
View Profile
Loyal user
Omaha,Nebraska
206 Posts

Profile of Saydean
E-Mailed you today with details thanks
Dutch
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
"Gift Surprise" I remember DC doing an effect using that Kevin James B****** B** idea. He picked up a small kid by touching the top of his head. DC seemed to be really working hard when he picked up the kid.
I have to think that I would throw my back out, or really walk slow and funny! I must say, it really reads and looks good. I will wait until I hear feedback from someone that gets it. Before I think about buying it.
davekilpatrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Syracuse, NY
283 Posts

Okay, I goofed. I thought the asterisks in Range Cowboy's comments were referring to BLACK ART. Duh, I didn't count the asterisks or notice the hyphen between the A and R (he wrote B***-A-R***). (The background in the photos is very dark, which further predisposed me to misinterpret Range Cowboy's code.) Thus, my comments about staging and lighting above should be disragarding because I was responding to a different method than what he was proposing.
RangeCowboy
View Profile
Regular user
Long Beach
198 Posts

Profile of RangeCowboy
If we're right, the assistant needs to be a sixty-pound bolemic out of a Calvin Klein commercial.

I imagine there's a step transfer required when the table is reached. Didn't Dunninger do this in his day?
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5653 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
"B****** B** idea or B***-A-R***"

Hey, what is all this about Smile Smile

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
RangeCowboy
View Profile
Regular user
Long Beach
198 Posts

Profile of RangeCowboy
Bowling Ball or Bowl-A-Rama

I should not have secretized (new magician word!) the name. It was not necessary.
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1080 Posts

Profile of bekralik
>Bowling Ball or Bowl-A-Rama

I just read a review and realized such a product existed. Does anybody have Bowl-A-Rama? The shipping costs must be outrageous for that effect. I assume you do not need any special background or lighting ... just an audience in the front of you?
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
504 Posts

Profile of Corey K
At Hank's Convention, he had a Gift Surprise out of the box. The box is made of cardboard and covered to look like a gift. It was pretty tattered looking and had a few rips in it. The way it works is clever but I think it would take some decent strength to pull it off. And, I don't see where you would hide the gaff...it seemed really awkward.

-Corey
JDC
View Profile
New user
KY
9 Posts

Profile of JDC
I believe "Gift Surprise" is very similar to what Greg Frewin has used for a long time as a closer to his award winning dove routine, where it looks as if he's going to make the cage vanish, but instead, a girl appears from nowhere. If any of you are familiar with this, then I'm sure that you will agree that the method must be the same. If so, it's very clever, and probably worth the money if you are unsure as to what is going on (method-wise).
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Two new illusions! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL