The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Jay at his best (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
Stone and tommy,

Yep, nice points.

Silver,

I think Lawrence is talking about me. But the key is that I'm afraid he didn't grasp what I meant. He doesn't know that if I had to name ten outstanding Magicians, Jay would be close to the top of the list. It's not the man and the mastery of his art I am talking about, but the usual cons and swindling context, that I personally find too much aggressive in the video. Tommy or Stone have understood my thoughts, I have understood their ones. Lawrence should face no trouble to wrap it up Smile.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Even though I know he's not your favorite reference Arnold.....Erdnase tells us not to stand out at the table, to blend in and become nothing that anybody would consider any different than anybody else at the table.
That's one kind of con, and in your earlier post Arnold, your observations were 100% accurate.

Ricky Jay is (in this video) demonstrating another type of con, one which requires a completely different handling of the mark, and a completely different personality for the person executing the con than the personality Erdnase describes above.

In other words, nobody in this thread is confusing anything.
Pontification certainly isn't instruction.

The thing that makes this forum different from all others here on the Café is that most of the regular contributors understand that the learning process is one that is ongoing, and further those contributors willingly accept instruction from other members of the forum, and in fact seek it out continuously.

This also tends to make folks who populate this forum somewhat alert to those who might tend to pontificate rather than instruct....to lecture rather than to inform.

In this case, I await the information which implies that "several" posters to this thread don't understand the premise behind the video.
I suspect that the only person not truly understanding the entire academic scope of the topic is Lawrence.

Guys should probably stick to what they know if they're going to lecture.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2010-06-25 12:16, silverking wrote:

In this case, I await the information which implies that "several" posters to this thread don't understand the premise behind the video.

Actually, in re-reading the thread, I too cannot see any posts showing that they don't understand the premise behind the video.

Hm.
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
Quote:
On 2010-06-25 12:16, silverking wrote:
Even though I know he's not your favorite reference Arnold.....Erdnase tells us [...]

Actually this name reminds me something, but what... I just can't remember.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
If you really want to see some nasty hustles you have to see a pool hustle. This is when the mark thinks he has some speed and has no idea how good the hustler really is. The hustler will insult him to no end. End up telling him that his best game cannot beat his worse game. So lets go, give me your best game and I will beat you and give you my worse game and still beat you...now if it is straight pool the next thing out of the hustlers mouth is "you break". If nine ball he will say rack them I will break. I am talking about top shooters not good shooters. I have heard more than once the hustler say "even if you beat me I am better than you"..when you hear this statement RUN. What this statemenmt does is make the mark, say "how can you be better than me if I beat you", (now it is all over) You are about to get an *** whooping.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Thanks Tommy that is a great link to a cool clip. If I remember right the ten card poker deal was written up as a con in one of the Vernon Inner secret books, although I don't remember which book. I have been reading about the ten card poker deal in the Phoenix.

Lawrence, also had some important comments and if I may add three card Monte has also been a street con that uses a script. There is a lot of good information on the script part of three card Monte on the DVD that is offered by the School for Scoundrels.

There is also a PDF on the DVD. Well worth getting if anyone is interested in three card Monte.

I hope this helps.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Jay at his best (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL