The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Review: Jon Allen lecture in Baltimore 5/23/2010 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EricHenning
View Profile
Loyal user
Laurel, Maryland
218 Posts

Profile of EricHenning
I saw UK magic champion (and all-around nice guy) Jon Allen last night at Denny & Lee's Magic Studio in Baltimore. He was excellent, providing great tricks, funny bits of business and useful theory to make your magic more effective, presented with hilarious true stories from life as a working pro. Go see him if you have ANY interest in close-up magic, do strolling gigs, or just want to be a better magician.

With wit and intelligence, Jon asks the question we magicians are too often afraid to ask:
WHO CARES?

And he answers it, big time.

Here is a taste of the goods Jon delivers:
- The funniest response to "can you make my wife disappear" jokes!
- The best approach line for strolling!
- Solid, tested, amazing routines that take minimal pocket space and are relatively simple to do!
- Why having spectators sign cards actually devalues the magic!
AND
- the best wedding trick EVER!

All this and more is in Jon Allen's new lecture, which combines some of his signature pieces, some newer material and some seminal thinking on the WHY of making you magic more effective for your audiences.

Clearing away the BS, Jon, who is a real working pro, talks about how to make you audiences CARE about the magic you do, and shares some of the trials and triumphs from his own experience.

Oh, and did I mention this is also one of the FUNNIEST magic lectures I've ever seen? Jon teaches his "ad-libbers" Ambitious Card, and then shares some of the funniest ways this routine has played out.

Along the way, Jon teaches:
A bent coin routine with emotional impact;
An easier and more magical bottle production;
A cleaner, simpler, in-the-hands version of "Anniversary Waltz;"
How to turn a stale "pick-a-card" gag into a powerful force;
A worker's perspective on thread work;
and the famous "Schrodinger's Card" which has spurred so much debate.

Sorry if this sounds like an ad; that's just how I write. Go see Jon Allen.
You will get ideas you will use, I promise.

Cheers,
Eric
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
I saw Jon Allen last night at Marc Desouza's theater in philly.

I can agree with the excellent review Eric Henning wrote above.

While learning some cool effects, with great presentation, Jon will get you to think about the magic you perform now and possibly making some changes...sometimes taking a risk to enhance the magic for your audience by drawing them in and making them care.

He also is a very funny guy. I really enjoyed it.

Rich B.
squando
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of squando
Agreed. He is a pleasure to watch. His effect for weddings is the perfect fit for that venue.
Frank
Marc DeSouza
View Profile
V.I.P.
Wayne, PA
162 Posts

Profile of Marc DeSouza
Add me to the list. I thought it was a great lecture...that's why I booked him Smile

He had so many great concepts to think about concerning making people care about magic...things that mere mortals (read as most of us) simply don't consider. Plus, he had some awesome routines that he taught. his book is a must read for any perfroming magicians.

Marc DeSouza
MLDupree
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of MLDupree
Saw him in Richmond. Excellent lecture. I agree with Marc his book is a must read.
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Hi Guys,

I'm back home from 98 degrees in the USA and it's cold and raining. Another reason to miss being over there.

I had a really great time and I'd like to thank all those who came to see the lectures. Eric, thanks so much for that review and I really appreciate your comments. The lecture is not for those who just want to learn new sleights and 6 more ways for the Aces to find selections while half dollars change to Chinese coins. It was really good to see the people at the lectures 'getting it'. I hope I can see you in DC next year Smile

Marc, I'll get round to dropping you an email but thanks a million for all your help. I *really* wouldn't have been able to do any of it without you.... and get some toner! ;-)

To Mike, Rich and Frank, thanks for your comments as well. I hope you came away with many things that you will think about and use.

I'd also like to say that if you are anywhere near Divine Magic & Novelties in VA then go and visit. They have some of the collest items I have ever seen and none of them were magic. I still regret not taking up the offer bring Wolverine home... Smile

I'm looking forward to getting back to the USA and to seeing more Café members 'in the flesh'.

Jon
Creator of iconic magic that you will want to perform.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Available at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Review: Jon Allen lecture in Baltimore 5/23/2010 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL