The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » What Was Your Strangest/Most Suprising Busking Tip? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
eddierush
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of eddierush
Here's mine:

After a few hours of busking at my regular Sat. morning location it was time for me to pack it up. I grabbed my tip jar and the rest of my stuff and hauled it to my car. While sitting in my car I began to count the tips I received that morning. Suddenly I noticed a check among the ones and fives. My first thought was, "someone's idea of a joke". I then looked at the check and saw that it was completely filled out - along with my first name. Then I saw the amount - $30. At that moment I though, "yeah ... right", put the check aside, and continued to count the rest of my tips.

Two days later I decided to go to the bank the check was from (why not). I was surprised and shocked to discover that the check was good. Immediately I though, "WOW! Someone liked my performance so much that they felt they needed to give me such a large tip!?" That very afternoon I wrote a thank you letter and mailed it to the person/address shown on the check (I had to ask the teller if I could see the check again before I left).

That made my day! I love performing!
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
http://magiceddie.wordpress.com
http://friendsofthemagi.org
ray raymond
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of ray raymond
I have received a borders gift card ( with $25 on it) a bunch of bananas, a burrito, candy, a hemp bracelet, phone numbers, bottled water, Even had a guy ask me when I was taking a break, cause he did not have cash but he got me a beer and a sandwich from a near by bar.
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
I like when I get forin cash, I have gotten Canadian, some Euro, and Yen, at the time I had no idea what they were wourth but it was cool to get. (I was in N.Y.C. at the time.)
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-05-26 10:05, ray raymond wrote:
I have received a borders gift card ( with $25 on it) a bunch of bananas, a burrito, candy, a hemp bracelet, phone numbers, bottled water, Even had a guy ask me when I was taking a break, cause he did not have cash but he got me a beer and a sandwich from a near by bar.

I hate that sort of stuff. When I see that stuff coming near my hat I strategically move away from it and try to dodge it.

I know they mean well, and I remain polite about it, but when someone plays the whole "I'll buy you a drink" crap I'm usually thinking: "unless you're talking about a bottle of Castello di Brolio or Johnny Walker Black, just forget it." Do they think I'm some kind of drunk? or a bum who needs a ham sandwich or their leftovers?

Man, I'm getting bitter, and quickly!

There was another thread on this subject a few months back...
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&start=0
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
ray raymond
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of ray raymond
I am not to fond of it either, how ever if I am getting a good hat at the time I just try to be gracious. How ever when it comes down to it that stuff won't feed my kid.
TristanBuckley
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of TristanBuckley
A piece of cold pizza. It actually wasn't half-bad. I was already hungry that day, but I was saving meal points, so that was a great tip. I've also had two gold dollars to date. I always love getting a gold dollar, because I think people ought to be using coins for such small denominations of currency by now anyway.

And if someone wanted to buy me a drink, I'd probably be more flattered than insulted. It's unusual for someone to just give someone a drink and just walk away. If someone did that, I'd be insulted, and if they've done that to you, they're jerks and you have every right to be insulted. But usually, when someone gets you a drink, it's a way to socialize. It means they see you as a cool enough guy that they want to have a beer with you. Heck, that kind of attitude elected our last president! haha
ray raymond
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of ray raymond
IT is not an insult. Nowa days there are a lot of people who do not carry cash. Should they choose to buy you a drink or a meal that is there way of showing appreciation, when all they carry is credit or debit cards. Granted I would rather have the cash, but to treat it as an insult would be wrong I believe. You will now an insult by the attitude in which the tip is given.
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1054 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
I'd be happy with a cup of good coffee on the pitch, especially if they went to the trouble of bringing it to me. I can always use a cup of coffee. True thing about people not carrying cash, I wonder if we're all going to have to be able to take cards to busk here in the future.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
ray raymond
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of ray raymond
Cash will never go obsolete
eddierush
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of eddierush
Excellent replies. Thanks.

Well the way I see it ... assuming their valid ...

- a bookstore gift card means that's one book or magazine I don't need to buy,
- a gift card means that's one birthday/holiday gift I don't need to buy or food/household stuff I can get for my family
- a cup of coffee/drink/food means that I just made a friend who may tell all their friends about me and bring them to my performance and my opportunity to win them over as a repeat customer

Many times I have found myself in a situation where I wanted desperately to give a performer (not just a magician) a tip but I didn't have the money but I made a point to come back again and leave a tip.

If I notice a gift card/check in my tip jar then I will take it out immediatly - I don't want others to get the idea that it is an acceptable form of tipping.

So I will kindly take whatever sincere folk will give me as a tip. I never know what it may lead to. Imagine if someone wanted to give me a lottery ticket only to dicover that it's a winning ticket - it can happen.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
http://magiceddie.wordpress.com
http://friendsofthemagi.org
TristanBuckley
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of TristanBuckley
The kind of drink gaddy was talking about was an alcoholic kind. If it's got no alcohol, that's different, but I can see how if someone gets you a beer and walks away, it could be insulting, in that the person seems to see you as a drunk.

Obviously, if I get a cup of coffee or hot cocoa or something, I'm always happy. Especially if it's cold out.
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of noland
The most interesting item I've ever found in my tip jar was a caricature sketch of me, which a fast sketch artist drew while I was performing then left in my jar. It was very good and I still have it! The tackiest thing I've received was a store coupon someone unloaded on me.
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
Overseas, the tourists used to dump coins on me they didn't spend from countries they've visited...Fortunately, I leave thru Amsterdam whose banks take them all. Silly tourists...ha ha
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
Al tho I agree we should use dollar coins, I hate getting them in the hat as people see coins, I want them to see paper.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
KendallScot
View Profile
Regular user
Denver, Colorado
133 Posts

Profile of KendallScot
Quote:
On 2010-05-28 19:07, Pokie-Poke wrote:
Al tho I agree we should use dollar coins, I hate getting them in the hat as people see coins, I want them to see paper.

I agree but I will graciously accept whatever is given to me.

On the other hand there is the classic line I'll use now and then, "Folks, please be sure to FOLD the tip before dropping it into the hat..." always gets a laugh and usually dissuades people from dropping change. but in this economy, I'll take 50 cents over nothing...
Kendall Scot

"The art of a magician is to create wonder. If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives will be filled with joy"
**Doug Henning**

"I drank WHAT?""
**Socrates**
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Strangest thing I ever found in my bucket was six tokens for the nearby merry-go-round!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
554 Posts

Profile of vernon
Money...never thought I would be good enough to GTM

James James
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
I must be getting cynical, lol. I would never, in my life, drink (or eat something) that was passed to me by a stranger on the street.

I just realized, after writing that, what a blessed life I have- never having to worry about that...

~jdg
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
634 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
At the end of the hat pass one last lady comes over and drops a $1 bill into my hat.
I ask her if she enjoyed the show.
She says, "what show?"
I look at her with a mixture of confusion and disbelief.
She says, "you did a show? When's the next one?"
I respond, "in a little while, I'm taking a break".
She says, "well I didn't see any show. I want my dollar back!"
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1162 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On 2010-06-08 20:09, RiffRaff wrote:

She says, "well I didn't see any show. I want my dollar back!"

Did she get it back?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » What Was Your Strangest/Most Suprising Busking Tip? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL