The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » What Was Your Strangest/Most Suprising Busking Tip? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
It sounds like the fool saw others putting dollars into a hat and she simply followed the other sheep off the cliff...I hope you didn't give her dollar back because a fool and their money need to be parted ASAP...

RiffRaff, she probably only saw you passing the hat, thought you were begging, and gave you a dollar like everyone else was. Being the supreme cheapskate, she felt robbed when you told her there was a show she missed. Although it's only a dollar, it really hurts them badly when they lose money. The strange part is that she probably didn't earn the dollar to begin with...
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
634 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
Zoob: I suspect you're right.
And yes, I did return the dollar.
ray raymond
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of ray raymond
Jaime D. Grant,

I find people are mostly good and when food or drink is offered it is because they do not carry cash just plastic. These people still want to show there appreciation. At times I will take them up on that offer. It is only being gracious. I have never had to go with out. At times I do appreciate the offers. not a whole lot different then going in to a bar performing for some people and they cover your tab.
fireperformer911
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of fireperformer911
Quote:
On 2010-06-01 21:39, vernon wrote:
Money...never thought I would be good enough to GTM

James James

I am with James James never thought I would be good enough to get the money.
Tom Frank
View Profile
V.I.P.
industrial Strength Magic
493 Posts

Profile of Tom Frank
From a blog post from a few years back

SATURDAY, AUGUST 12, 2006 • You can't make this **** up!

A nutty thing happened during one of my performances at the Promenade yesterday. While I was in the middle of the cups and balls routine, this crazy lady put something into my doctors bag that appeared to be a small folded up piece of paper. I looked at her quizzically an said, "Did you just put a bindle of cocaine in my bag?" I followed that by saying to the audience innocently, ". . . NOT that I know what a bindle of coke looks like, mind you". She sheepishly nodded no. She left and I went on with the routine. Later after the show I was curious as to what the paper was all about. I carefully unfolded the paper and saw something that just grossed me out. A large piece of one of her teeth. Disgusting!

Not so disgusting that I didn't want to bring it home, take a picture of it and share it with you here. But that wasn't meant to be. Uri the classical guitar playing psychic asked me what was in the paper. I showed it to him and told him what I wanted to do with it. He told me that was a very bad idea. He added that if I brought it home, it would surely bring me bad luck. I immediately walked to a nearby trash can and threw it away. Good riddance. Last thing I need is bad luck.

The molar of the story is that tooth is stranger than fiction.

OK not funny. . . . But I keep on trying.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
On behalf of everyone on this thread...
Groan.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Bobert
View Profile
New user
Stephenville TX
88 Posts

Profile of Bobert
I was doing a mini show last night for some english speaking friends of mine on outside table of a pub. The show was just to show them my hobby and I wasn't intending on making money at all but I attracted a crowd of locals and they just gave me a 20,000 won (about 18 USD), which is very intresting since Koreans actually don't believe in tipping. Afterwards the next to pitchers for my friends were paid for, we were invited to go party with the locals(we had to decline), I was invited to go to a sauna, JeJu island which is Korea's version of a vacation resort. And a couple of phone numbers ....
What is intended to be a small private show for some friends turned out to become way to big.
T. Sebastian
View Profile
Loyal user
Ozark Mountains, USA
223 Posts

Profile of T. Sebastian
$20 for one card trick on my second time out. I was stunned.

Also, one time I got some fuzzy balls made of troll hair. That was the same show where the lesbian bondage fans put me in the straitjacket. I love my job.
So sorry I soiled your precious eyes.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Wasn't something very similar to this the McGuffin for a recent horror movie about an "evil gypsy"? Can't recall the name at the moment.

Quote:
On 2010-06-12 14:59, Tom Frank wrote:
From a blog post from a few years back

SATURDAY, AUGUST 12, 2006 • You can't make this **** up!

A nutty thing happened during one of my performances at the Promenade yesterday. While I was in the middle of the cups and balls routine, this crazy lady put something into my doctors bag that appeared to be a small folded up piece of paper. I looked at her quizzically an said, "Did you just put a bindle of cocaine in my bag?" I followed that by saying to the audience innocently, ". . . NOT that I know what a bindle of coke looks like, mind you". She sheepishly nodded no. She left and I went on with the routine. Later after the show I was curious as to what the paper was all about. I carefully unfolded the paper and saw something that just grossed me out. A large piece of one of her teeth. Disgusting!

Not so disgusting that I didn't want to bring it home, take a picture of it and share it with you here. But that wasn't meant to be. Uri the classical guitar playing psychic asked me what was in the paper. I showed it to him and told him what I wanted to do with it. He told me that was a very bad idea. He added that if I brought it home, it would surely bring me bad luck. I immediately walked to a nearby trash can and threw it away. Good riddance. Last thing I need is bad luck.

The molar of the story is that tooth is stranger than fiction.

OK not funny. . . . But I keep on trying.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I'm getting a few silly bandz this summer.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
jesse_james_mcguire
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of jesse_james_mcguire
Wow this kinda makes me not want to busk.
ray raymond
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of ray raymond
Just got a couple chipotle gift cards the other day. I was also working a festival where girls were walking around topples. that is a tip in its self.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Anyone ever get a conundrum?

Those can really be puzzling.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
Magic Brian more or less got a Swedish girl in his hat at the Stockholm Street Festival here in Sweden this weekend. That was hilarious!
Don't miss out on the great new mentalist magic: www.metalwriting.com
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1162 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On 2010-06-27 23:03, ray raymond wrote:
...working a festival where girls were walking around topples.

Ray: I gotta ask...where's that festival?

Arkadia: Please elaborate on getting a Swedish Girl in a hat...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-07-14 13:25, imgic wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-06-27 23:03, ray raymond wrote:
...working a festival where girls were walking around topples.

Ray: I gotta ask...where's that festival?

Arkadia: Please elaborate on getting a Swedish Girl in a hat...

specifically, how did she fit (in the hat, ya' pervs!)
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1162 Posts

Profile of imgic
Actaully I was hoping to "borrow" the hat line that landed her...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
ray raymond
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of ray raymond
That festival is in columbus ohio
eddierush
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of eddierush
From time to time I would get a tip from someone as I am setting up and then they would walk away ... before I do my first effect of the day. It makes me wonder if they saw me perform (in the past) and didn't have any money to tip at that time but now they have the money to do so but not the time to watch.

"Humans are such funny people"

I thank everyone who tips my hat (sometimes I use a large glass flower vase in my hat) ... bills, coins, whatever. During my hat pitch I will pickup the hat and shake it while I speak. That tends to shake the coins to the bottom of the hat ... out of view. I don't want coins showing on top of the bills ... but at the same time I do not want to seem as though I do not appreciate the coins by refusing them or unpretentiously sweeping them under the bills.

Who is more giving? The little child who gives a portion (or all) of what little they have or the "rich" man who gives even less.

"My Two Cents ... Don't Spend It All in One Place"
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
http://magiceddie.wordpress.com
http://friendsofthemagi.org
augiemagic
View Profile
Regular user
Overland Park, KS
162 Posts

Profile of augiemagic
My family has taken to following me out to whatever the pitch of the day is, and dropping small change in the hat. Yesterday I got about ten bucks worth of pennies. The crowd thought it was hilarious when they came up all "Procession-Style" with handfuls of copper.

I have decided to gradually fill their purses (I have two sisters) with the pennies, slowly weighing them down. I'll let you know how far I get before they notice.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » What Was Your Strangest/Most Suprising Busking Tip? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL