The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Steinmeyer's Apples and Oranges (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
I see that "The Conjuring Anthology" is being advertised again- a 525 page hard back book well worth the money by Jim Steinmeyer. If you see "Apples and Oranges" in there (page 319, based on the old "piano card trick" published in the 1909 book "The Art of Magic" by Downs and Hilliard)- it ocurred to me this mathematical type trick could be used to illustrate The Parable of the Talents, specifically Matthew 25:28 where one talent (fruit) was taken and given to another with more talents. In the trick, one fruit "flies" over to the person who then now has more fruit. Not quite the same as the Parable of the Talents, but the idea of taking from one/one losing and another gaining is kinda the general theme of this fun "math" trick.

I went out and purchased plastic fruit from Michael's craft store-was not all that expensive to put this entire effect together. Probably no one in your magic club will have ever seen it before, I know I haven't. Or you can use real fruit. All you need is seven matching apples and eight matching oranges and two boxes... but I did take Jim's suggestion to add another two more apples and oranges. This effect was also published in the July, 1999 issue of Genii.

I really like this book- check it out- it has larger "parlor" or stage sized effects rather than just coins and cards. Probably many of the effects in this massive volume could be adapted to Gospel Magic. I ordered my book directly from the very well known Mr. Steinmeyer- yet he was also willing to take the time to autograph it directly to me. So if you get the book directly from the author, ask for an autographed copy.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
On page 7, June, 2010 issue of Genii, there is a full page ad for the above book. http://www.jimsteinmeyer.com 85 effects in 75 chapters, 509 illustrations. $65 postpaid.
jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
619 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
Excellent book!

I picked one up only two years ago at Midwest Magic in the greater Chicago-land area. I believe that at the time they were the exclusive dealer besides Mr. Steinmeyer. Nonetheless, I've gotten a few really great ideas from the book: Simple, straightforward - what else can I say?

I've also used a few of his effects from his Impuzzabilities books.

Thanks for reminding me that it's a good book.
Jamie Doyle
International President - Fellowship of Christian Magicians
jamiedoylemagic.com
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1149 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
I love this book!
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
Andrew
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Andrew
MagicBus,

I've been using the Apples and Oranges routine for a number of years and have segued from it into a Borrowed Bill in Orange. (The Apples and Oranges routine was also published in Magic Magazine back in the nineties.)

For my Gospel presentation, I've talked about the Fruit of the Spirit, using this as an introduction.

Your idea of the Parable of the Talents is something to look into. Has me thinking...

Thanks!

andrew
Andrew
Professional Provider of Wonderment!
www.andrewsfamilymagic.com
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Also in the same above mentioned book is the same effect using silverware- clever! Nice routine based on the premise on how one always seems to have to "borrow" a fork from someone's else's table... that this is part of a conspiracy by restaurant owners nationwide to save money on forks, etc..
Signor Blitz
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Signor Blitz
Love his stuff! I was glad it came out so I could toss out the stack of Magic Mags that I kept - just for his writings.

There is a routine in there about 1/2 truth that is really nice!
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
I think I am going to tie it into "The Fruit of the Spirit"- as there are nine "fruits"- love, joy, etc. outlined in The Bible. The version I intend to do will use nine pairs of fruit as suggested by Steinmeyer. Neat coincidence eh? So will use the "9" number as the segway. Although I have never done this effect before a live audience, I think I will give this one a try too at the 11AM lecture on Friday at the FCM convention. Since I am sharing the lecture time with MagicBob and P.J. Weber, I probably will only have time for three effects- but I wanted all three to be "newer" stuff that most Gospel magicians have not at least considered before. My favorite program effects at the current time are by Duane Laflin and Barry Mitchell, but that would not be very original for a FCM lecturer to do "What Color Is A Bible?" or "Can Opener" (both which I love).
squando
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of squando
Apple & oranges is a great mystery. Can be presented with humor or more seriously.
Frank
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Steinmeyer's Apples and Oranges (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL