The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Asrah F**m Selection (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Hello all! First I'd like to thank those in advance who have some good advice to offer. I have an asrah illusion that was manufactured by Bill Smith. I absolutely love it, and the f**m is one of the most realistic I have ever seen. The one downside to it is the limitations on where I can perform this wonderful illusion. I have booked many illusion shows where the venue does not support the requirements needed for this effect (i.e. high school gymnasiums). However if I were to obtain a collapsable f**m, this would not be an issue. Of course we would have to rework the routine and practice..practice..practice. So the question at hand is, "In your experience what would you suggest is the best collapsable version to buy, and who to buy it from?" Please keep in mind that I am just looking only for a form. Any statements supporting your choice would also be greatly appreciated. Thank you again!

Scott
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
Scott,

I have heard a lot of people suggest Jim Sommers' version of the collapsible form. I had one years ago and it always worked very smoothly.

Sincerely,
David
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I want to understand how you are performing. Is this on the gym floor or on a stage at the end of the gym. Rigging is very light that is normally needed.

I would suggest that you look at a youtube video on Senior Rai doing the Asrah in the center ring.
It will knock your socks off.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Star_magic
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Star_magic
Do you have a link to that video Richard?

Thanks
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
I would contact Tim CLothier (illusionprojects.com). He made a form for Charles Bach like I have never seen before. He is extremely talented and knows what he is doing. Just my 2 cents...

~Bryan
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Thank you all very much for your help so far. Richard...I have seen the Senor Rai asrah video and I agree it is phenomonal. This would be for a performance off of a stage where rigging is not possible, like a gym floor. Thank you David, I wasn't sure if he sold them alone or you had to buy the whole prop too. I will look into that Bryan....thank you as well.

Star Magic here are the video links to senor rai's two youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23q1rsrPm1s
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=PueUKWV1E9Q&feature=related
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
You might be able to buy or have Rai make a unit up like his.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Fabricem
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Fabricem
I will suggest you to use a classic version if you can and not the collapsible one ( but of course depen from where you want perform it),
but for shure the effect and the impact on the Audience is really different.

I have a classic original Ashra ( the same model as the Original from LeRoy),
like no many Ashra

during the levitation you can pass the hoop ( no many version can do it, this because many people today use a semplified version of it )

I know you can ask for this old version to many good builders " first in list C. Dickens" he have also one picture on his Site,
Fabrice.
Markku
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Markku
Maybe you could use blow up doll. Its light Smile
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Just to clarify the original post, I do have the classic version. The form was made by Bill Smith. I was looking for a way to perform this when the venue doesn't accomodate the requirements needed to perform the classic asrah like rigging.
collective foundry
View Profile
Inner circle
1404 Posts

Profile of collective foundry
I would also do the work with Tim Clothier - He'd knock it out of the park for you . . .
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
"I do have the classic version" Are you sure????

Builders RARELY build the classic version of the form as mentioend above, unless you requested it as a "special". I have 4 or 5 forms and none are the "true" classic. Ends or back, that is the question.....LOL

But this is all aside from your original question.

Blair
Fabricem
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Fabricem
Hi Blair ceck here:

http://www.dickensmagic.com/gallery.html
look that pic under :
Custom Asra Form

This is something close to the Original first Leroy version ,
I know today is more common find a semplified version ( rigging just from the top ),
but this is the first version,
Fabrice.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Fabrice,

That was what I was referring to (end or back), but did not want to give the link on an open forum to the photo.

B
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
You might want to check out Geoffery Durham's collapsable form. It's quite different in concept from the 'European' collapsable form.

Geoffery is the only person I've seen using it.

I know it was in lecture notes he put out but maybe you could email him and find ut if they are available or if he's re-published it in one of his books.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Hello Blair, I guess I'm not sure if it is the "classic" version. I was refering to how it was performed....i.e. non collapsable. I do know that under the sheet it is the best looking one I have ever seen.

Thanks for the tip Sealegs!
HENRYDORL
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of HENRYDORL
HELLO. I BOUGHT THE SERVAIS LEROY BOOK. THERE'S NOT EVEN A PICTURE OF THE FORM... HOW DISAPPOINTING IS THAT?!!! DO YOU KNOW WHERE A FULL DESCRIPTION OF THE ORIGINAL IS AVAILABLE? THURSTON'S ASRAH FROM ABBOTT'S MAYBE? THANKS FOR YOUR ANSWER!
'What of Art?' she asked.
'It is a malady.'
'Love?'
'An illusion.'
'Religion?'
'The fashionable substitute for Belief.'
'You are a sceptic.'
'Never! Scepticism is the beginning of Faith.'
Oscar Wilde
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

The patent is published in a few places, I will take a look and see what I can find.

Blair
Fabricem
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Fabricem
From the first w_s_anderson post:

"In your experience what would you suggest is the best collapsable version to buy, and who to buy it from?"
ABSOLUTELY the Steinmayer's collapsible version .
Fabrice.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

"Steinmayer's collapsible version" - Is it published anywhere??

Who is the builder with the rights to it?

P.S. I have heard that Owen will sell just the collapsing form, and that it is very good. Check a thread on the Gossamer Flight illusion.

Blair
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Asrah F**m Selection (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL