The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Is exposing magic okay if you make money from it? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Ok, I get your drift.

I think.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Just glad people have short memories.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I do not have a short... what was that you said??? Smile
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
No. Password protecting, blocking, hiding the vids away. All of them ideas that completed negate the process of making these videos in the first place. They are designed to help people and teach children a new hobby and art-form that they can utilize to improve their self-esteem, social skills and help them make new friends.

All your suggestions do, is block those children from watching the videos, and why? So to appease a couple of self-righteous magicians at the club of their own superiority complex?

I don't know who is going to watch the videos, they are available for any child who searches for them and decides to watch them. There not just there to benefit my clients, their their to benefit all children around the world.

I will say on a separate note, that the original topic of this thread; is it okay to expose if you make money from it? Does tend to be true. We now ignore the thousands of magic DVDs and Millions of magic books that expose all the secrets to the masses. I will also say that whatever rule book you are following does not separate fellow magicians from layperson. So even sharing a secret to another magicians in a lecture is deemed exposure and should be met with by the same consequences.

Steve
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Yup, always have been something strange to me...

If you SELL Magic Secrets, it's ok.

If you give it out for FREE, it's wrong.

Both are Exposure really, the Secret is out either way.

In the end, it's all about the Money...

But what to do...

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I disagree that it is "all about the money".

Certainly in many cases that is true- and not just those who sell books and DVD's. Those who intentionally expose as part of their performances, especially on national TV, are among the worst.

However, I think there are many in the magic profession who have nothing to gain by books, DVD's, TV etc. who feel seeking out a reference on magic, paying for it (or even getting a library card) and studying it is totally different than having it spoon-fed to you, sometimes when you were not even asking for it.

Kind of like comparing being baptised with accidently walking under a sprinkler.

This is not to argue that there are not lots of carpet-baggers out there who really could not care less as long as they make a buck. They, like the poor, will always be with us...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
aechecop
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of aechecop
Many cases?... I would think that it is in most cases... a sad reality.
Magic is not only an art... it is mostly a business.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Is exposing magic okay if you make money from it? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL