The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Looking for script (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WhoDeanie
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of WhoDeanie
Not exactly a gospel illusion, but I heard a little gospel piece years ago about a man that worked for the railroad switching tracks over a bridge, his son was with him. Long story made short, the guy had to choose between sacrficing his son and letting a train full of people plummet over a cliff. Anyone know where I can get or at least take a look at this script? Thanks.

--
Dean
Magically yours,

Dean Burgess
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Snopes is your friend

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/drawbridge.asp

It appeared most recently in the Michigan Baptist Bulletin in 1967 as "To Sacrifice a Son; an Allegory by Dennis E. Hensley. But it seems to be the reworking of a tale that goes back to 1888 or possibly further
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Payne, you never sieze to amaze me. Smile
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
It's a good allegorical tale on the nature of sacrifice and very reminiscent of a classic and very intriguing physiological experiment. A favorite of mine.

"They posed a classic dilemma: you discover a train is hurtling down a track and will kill five people who are in the train’s path further down the track. In the first scenario, you are offered the choice to pull a lever that makes the train reroute to a different track, where there is one person on the track. In other words, you can act to save five people by killing one. As brutal as it sounds, most people end up agreeing they would pull the lever. The neuroscientists analysed brain activity as people made this calculated judgment.

In the second scenario, you are offered the same choice – to save the five by killing one – but this time you have to push someone under the train, slowing it down so it stops before reaching the five. Most people, when offered this choice, feel that they should not intervene, even though the outcome is identical (in terms of lives saved and lost, anyway)."

Read more about it here

http://psigrist.wordpress.com/tag/runaway-train-dilemma/
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
That's pretty deep stuff. I will be brutally honest. If I was given the choice to let my son die to save thousands, or save my son, and allow thousands to die, I would probally save my son's life and let the thousands die.

I guess it comes down to this for me. Allowing someone I love die, or allowing thousands of stangers die. I would be able to live with myself better if I saved my son's live. I know, it sounds selfish, and it probally is. That's why it amazes me so much that God allowed His son to not only die, but to suffer so that millions could live. And God did that knowing full well that most of those millions would never love Him, nor believe in Him.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
WhoDeanie
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of WhoDeanie
Thanks, Payne. Not exactly the full script I was looking for but enough for me to build off of. Thanks!

Quote:
On 2010-05-27 20:40, Payne wrote:
Snopes is your friend

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/drawbridge.asp

It appeared most recently in the Michigan Baptist Bulletin in 1967 as "To Sacrifice a Son; an Allegory by Dennis E. Hensley. But it seems to be the reworking of a tale that goes back to 1888 or possibly further
Magically yours,

Dean Burgess
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Looking for script (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL