The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Showdown Wallet by Outlaw Effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Mark Powell
View Profile
Special user
UK
504 Posts

Profile of Mark Powell
The latest (and sadly, last) wallet from the guys at Outlaw Effects is the Showdown wallet.

Building on the success of the Hideout wallet, the SD adds a few new, key, features in an effort to become the ultimate mentalist's wallet available. Announced in December 2009 it was the unfortunate victim of unseen delays but is now available.

Was it worth the wait? For me, it's an unreserved "yes"!! Smile

As described on the web site, the SD is "A Hideout style bi-fold hip pocket dual billfold wallet".

Touted as the "Swiss army knife of mentalism style wallets", the SD has a lot to live up to, given the expectation, and now I've had a week or so to play around with it and get used to it's features, I'm very glad that I pre-ordered.

One possible criticism of the Hideout wallet (and of Swiss Army knives!) was the size - with two internal flaps, it became quite thick when loaded with the usual cards and money. The two flaps were necessary for the switch and index feature but, by eliminating one of the flaps, the SD is a little slimmer and hence easier on the pocket.

The quality of the leather is fantastic - very supple and soft - and you'll spend a good while navigating your way around the various features. It really is like Escher took a break from his woodblocks and dabbled in leather!

The biggest differences, for me, between the Hideout and the SD were the Shogun feature and the external load.

I've owned a few wallets with Shogun-type wallets and design dictated that the layout appeared 'symmetrical' - hence the vertical pockets. The SD does away with this by incorporating a more usual layout - horizontal pockets, ID window - into the main switch function. Because the flap 'locks' in one position, you automatically know which 'configuration' it's in when you take it out of your pocket.

Both configurations of the wallet gives you access to seperate billfold compartments, themselves split with internal dividers that hide further features. By default, the billfold divider hides the part where the external load enters the wallet. Switch the wallet round and the divider hides the index pockets - eight in total, four each side.

The external load goes straight into one of the billfolds, and works very well. It can also be used for PW/NW, or a holdout or, as seen in some of the videos online, a cloak for some very devious switches.

The peek functions are twofold - one is to place a billet into the billfold that leads to the load, allowing you to peek (or steal) once the wallet is closed. The other is by placing the billet into a horizontal pocket, to be peeked through the ID window on the other side. The window has the same 3M technology found in previous wallets from Outlaw and works just as well. Saying that, you have the option of removing the filter if desired.

Available with the wallet is a pdf manual, full of colour photos explaining the features in detail and sample routines by Ran Pink, who played a major part in the development of the wallet. Ran has also filmed demonstrations of various switches on YouTube - useful for seeing the wallet in action.

As usual, the wallet is backed up by it's own dedicated area on the Outlaw Effects forum, where I look forward to seeing ideas and tips from the more experienced players out there.

As Outlaw Effects rides off into the sunset (regarding wallets, anyway), The Showdown will serve as a brilliant legacy.

Heavily recommeded. Smile
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2048 Posts

Profile of aligator
Thanks for the review. Still waiting for mine.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1615 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Thanks -- appreciate the detailed review.
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Thank you for the review Mark!

Many more will be arriving at mailbox's over the next week Smile

The Showdown will be the last wallet release for a very long time here at Outlaw, at least a year or more.

I have some Magnums, Panthers and some Diablos (Diablo on sale) and when those are gone they will not be available again.

The Showdown and the Hideout will be the only wallets that will be in the permanent catalog.

-Rick
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
ranpink
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
252 Posts

Profile of ranpink
Thank you for the positive feedback Mark. I love the stuff you've been coming up with the Showdown. Keep it up and keep in touch.

Ran
Creator of CUT

T-REX

Abnormal Behavior

ZEN SYSTEM

tāctilis

White Room

Think Pink - Central Intelligence

http://www.worldwidemagic.com
Fizzban Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
and Jedi Knight
204 Posts

Profile of Fizzban Magic
Could you keep your KK in it?
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2116 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Perfect for the 8 card CrossRoads Set.

Benny
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Quote:
On 2010-05-28 19:09, James Trinity wrote:
Could you keep your KK in it?

Yes. it has hidden index's
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2415 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
I use the Hideout as my everyday wallet , with crossroads loaded, and , Rick , forgive me, but I removed the center with the filter, to make it thinner, and after wearing it for just a short time, the index is invisible, I can openly handle and FLASH it, there is nothing to see, add in the $4.00 index from Bryn's "Safwan Papers" and a very different effect, and a homemade Powerball 60, one or two others, and I am set for years to come, The Outlaw Hideout, simply the best wallet I have ever owned, and I have had nearly all,
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2048 Posts

Profile of aligator
Received my Showdown. Looks and feels great with multiple features. Need some time to play around with it, however, as there is much to take in all at once.
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin
1279 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
A very helpfull review to make a decision!

thank you very much mark.
andykean
View Profile
Special user
U.K - Now living in New Zealand Auckland
876 Posts

Profile of andykean
This wallet is fantastic
I retired my outlaw
The possibilities are endless.
The product is a quality build and perfect for many standard mentalist applications.
If I told you more I would have to kill you!

Do yourself a big favour buy one now! You won't regret it! pure class!
plus the outlaw forums await!

I have no association with Outlaw, I am just a delighted customer ( despite the lead time)
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2116 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Been giving my Showdown a thrashing.

It has become my everyday wallet. Lots of room for biz cards and the like. As I've mentioned, the 8 card index is just perfect for Crossroads and the dividers neatly conceal everything.

The "loading" feature works a charm allowing a N-written message to be smoothly delivered to the inside. In fact, that's my favorite feature (despite Ran jokingly telling me that he designed the index section specifically for Crossraods-[LOL]-what a sweetie!).

Benny
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
Mark Powell
View Profile
Special user
UK
504 Posts

Profile of Mark Powell
Quote:
On 2010-06-04 04:07, Ben Harris wrote:
The "loading" feature works a charm allowing a N-written message to be smoothly delivered to the inside. In fact, that's my favorite feature...

You might like the load I posted on the Showdown forum then, Ben. Smile
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2116 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Hi Mark,

The load sequence is absolutely lovely. Straight into my arsenal! Thanks, mate!

Benny
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2048 Posts

Profile of aligator
I too have retired my other wallets. I like the magnetic locking that makes it easier to tell where you are and there are other subtle reminders as well. A little practice makes perfect. The inside peek in particular makes possible many effects such as juxtapose. You can easily do a quick demo where a spectator thinks of a number, name whatever. As has been said, the index will hold crossroads or a KK or whatever you may desire up to 16 cards or even more if billets etc.....I am working on a backward version of KK where the spec guesses what card(of the day) I am hiding behind a $5 bill. The switch function is easy.
This is an extremely versatile wallet that looks and feels great. So glad I pre-ordered.
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2116 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
It really is the only wallet you need. So versatile and it even holds your credit cards (lol).

Benny
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Is it big enough to carry £50 notes?
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
spindoc
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of spindoc
The Showdown arrived today and I am still exploring its possibilities, but it is already clear that Rick has outdone himself with this one. This will be my everyday wallet.
Mark Powell
View Profile
Special user
UK
504 Posts

Profile of Mark Powell
Quote:
On 2010-06-04 09:52, Davit Sicseek wrote:
Is it big enough to carry £50 notes?

It's been a while since I've handled one of these! Smile

With a £20 note tucked all the way inside the billfold, there is about 1cm clearance from the top of the wallet. I don't remember the £50 being over 1cm bigger than the £20 but, as I said, it's been a while.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Showdown Wallet by Outlaw Effects (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL