The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » "For Entertainment Purposes Only" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
The example I gave pertained to a sports prediction, and I think many people made the good argument that this may attract organized crime. Would your opinion change if only advice was sold by the mentalist, for entertainment purposes only? Again, you would let them know that the psychic advice is to be used for entertainment purposes only. Would you all be okay with selling information (advice) in this case?

Regards,
Mike
Hilksha
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
10 Posts

Profile of Hilksha
Quote:
On 2010-05-30 14:37, MichaelCGM wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-30 11:14, insight wrote:
So I think the general consensus here is that I should ignore him, but what I found interesting is that most think I should ignore him because of the potential risk rather than a belief that charging is morally wrong.

I think that about covers it. :o) Here's another thought, though maybe even more controversial. A magician friend once remarked that someone offered him $100 to teach him a trick that fascinated him (one that my friend performed in a restaurant). So, how might that fit the scenario? I’m glad you asked.

Tell your friend that you will teach him the effect that so amazed him for the $500.00. That way he will know beyond doubt that you were, indeed just performing a trick. Explain that, “ALL” he is getting for the $500 is a lesson in how that effect was performed and that you will “GIVE” him a wild guess about the score for free... emphasis on “wild guess.”

I’m quite sure this will not sit comfortably with other performers, but it’s offered as just another option, one in which you get the $500 from a guy who claims he knows it’s only a trick anyway. For those opposed, ask the question that Eshla posited… what about $1000 or $5000. Just thinking out loud. :o)

I think MichaelCGM has a good idea. If he agrees to pay you for a lesson in how the trick works then go ahead. It's $500.
Ms. Merizing
View Profile
Loyal user
Edwin Carl Erwin is digging postholes for
232 Posts

Profile of Ms. Merizing
Quote:
On 2010-05-29 16:00, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
Leave it to Rod Serling to have foreseen a similar situation: http://www.imdb.com/video/cbs/vi2375550745/ "What You Need" from "The Twilight Zone."

Thanks Philemon for the link. Any better half-hour morality plays than those found in the Twilight Zone?

The "What You Need" episode's moral might suggest that an answer to this thread is to produce the game score prediction only if you've a pair of "slippery shoes" in reserve.
Pleased to continue finding that all the world's a stage.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
The problem with selling him the method right now is that I am going to be selling this to the public in an extremely limited release in the near future, so he would have to wait like everyone else. But the bigger implication of this is that he seems like a shady character, so I would hope he does not misuse this for his personal profit.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Why would you be selling a mental effect such as this "to the public?"
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Hi Bob,

By public, I mean those serious about the art of mentalism. I also mean that the process will be public---I will not hold a private sale to cater only to those that are within my sphere of influence.

Regards,
Mike
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
I would personally never purchase it unless I read something by Greg Arce. If so, and it was positive, I would more than go for it (provided that it didn't tote a $3,400 price tag like jeremy's stuff Smile ).
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
That book wouldn't include a list of ways to believable would it? Smile
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2010-06-25 15:48, bdekolta wrote:
That book wouldn't include a list of ways to believable would it? Smile

Lol.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
No list, just a powerful and innovative way to create the impossible!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » "For Entertainment Purposes Only" (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL