The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cards and mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
In preparing a routine, I realized that I had mostly card tricks. Superb mental effects no doubt but 2 card tricks to 1 book test doesn't sit on me very well. I feel like I need something else in between, maybe a drawing duplication or something, but everything I find deals with CARDS. So sick of them.

I don't just want to do a quick swami effect either.

Any ideas?
Eshla
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of Eshla
Between the lines? Perform it right and it should look very simple and genuine Smile

If you're looking for a "bigger" effect then how about a confabulation or bank night routine.
I come from the future to culture you poor sods with fire.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
All depends on what you claim, and how you do things...

just because they're cards, they don't have to be playing cards do they

and think of all the card stuff that can convert (with just a little thought) over to other items...
I've asked to be banned
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2010-05-30 19:53, IAIN wrote:
All depends on what you claim, and how you do things...

I claim to be a psychological illusionist. While I do use some psychological forces in my routine, I want it to seem a little more balanced. Right now I am timed in at about 6 minutes. I spend about 1 minute in the first card effect (which, after I fail, ties in at the end for a kicker prediction effect), then I have a book test which is about 2 minutes, and a two part card routine, and lastly the ending (with the card revelation). See where I'm having a problem?
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Can you adapt any of the card effects to a Zener deck?
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Postcards, photos and so on too...
I've asked to be banned
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2010-05-30 20:38, IAIN wrote:

A bell is ringing.. Let me think...
M. H. Goodman
View Profile
Regular user
Dublin, Republic of Ireland
169 Posts

Profile of M. H. Goodman
Quote:
On 2010-05-30 20:38, IAIN wrote:

Great advice IAIN.

Just recently here on the Café, John Cesta suggested using photos to perform Doug Dyment's "Bob's Your Uncle" routine (which is normally performed with ESP cards). And I'm also aware of a couple of presentations of "Out of this World" which use photos instead of playing cards.
Coinucopia available now at http://coinucopia.blogspot.com.
Rocketeer
View Profile
Special user
Westchester, NY
965 Posts

Profile of Rocketeer
"Mentalism" Goes Postal in Lee Earle's Mentalism in New Directions (aka M.I.N.D.) might be a nice change of pace.

I've never performed it though and it may be too long for this particular act of yours. Great multiple prediction effect though.
I'm selling my hardcover autographed limited edition copy of Jerome Finley's "Thought Veil"

PM me for info.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
First, don't do what a lot of mentalists do and dismiss all effects using cards. The guys that do that miss out on a lot of great material. If I did not use B'wave because it is a card effect, I would be missing a highlight of my show.

If it is still in print, do yourself a favor and buy a copy of SYZYGY: The 1st 5 Volumes. It is full of fantastic mentalism. There are a few card effects, but not too many. Also, get a copy of Prisim by Phil Goldstein (Max Maven) and Building Blocks by Luke Jermay (the latter will really help you in your character development). The best money I ever spent on magic/mentalism is "Nothing" by Max Maven. The effects are good, but the insight and theory are worth a lot more than the price of the set. Oh, and if I remember right, there are no card tricks.

There are many effects that you can buy that play nicely such as Mental Epic (a classic) and Key-R-Ect. Also, get a good blindfold. You can learn ungimmicked methods, but I like the one I bought. I don't know who made it, but it is a sleeping mask with a hood. It makes doing things like Smash & Stab routines (a fantastic closer, by the way) and drawing duplications a breeze. Smile
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Based on your claims, get Psychological Subtelties 1-3 and read them all cover to cover and develop some propless mentalism... stand alones and ways to enhance your cards and booktests and anything.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2010-05-30 22:54, Dr Spektor wrote:
Based on your claims, get Psychological Subtelties 1-3 and read them all cover to cover and develop some propless mentalism... stand alones and ways to enhance your cards and booktests and anything.

I already did (well I got ps1 and ps3). Just hesitant to try a psychological force in a real routine.

I got a perfect idea though. Smile my own version of Mental epic. Smile
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Buy ALONE...and then create your own little miracle.

Regards,
Mike
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I mean, this'll all take time...psychological illusionist? what do you do currently that re-inforces that claim?

and if you're too scared to try a psychological force, then either give up being a psychological illusionist and try something else - or, just give it a go during a routine with an I.D....

write yourself a story, of "you"...doesnt have to be long, commit it to memory...an explanation of how you can do what you can do... then use that as the blueprint of everything that you do...

questions to ask - why would a psychological illusionist use cards? whats the thinking and motivation behind it? why does it make sense for you to use such things?

sounds like you've got to think about these things before just flinging stuff together and saying ta-dah! here's an act...

aussiemagic may have better advice though, go check with him...
I've asked to be banned
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2010-05-31 07:54, IAIN wrote:
I mean, this'll all take time...psychological illusionist? what do you do currently that re-inforces that claim?

and if you're too scared to try a psychological force, then either give up being a psychological illusionist and try something else - or, just give it a go during a routine with an I.D....

Actually I do have psychological force, but it's not like a stand alone one, it's a very sma part of a larger portion of the routine.

Quote:
write yourself a story, of "you"...doesnt have to be long, commit it to memory...an explanation of how you can do what you can do... then use that as the blueprint of everything that you do...

questions to ask - why would a psychological illusionist use cards? whats the thinking and motivation behind it? why does it make sense for you to use such things?

Because I know of very pure mind reading, prerecognition, and clairvoyance effects that can be done with them. Smile
Quote:
sounds like you've got to think about these things before just flinging stuff together and saying ta-dah! here's an act...

Actually I feelquite smug about this one; I pulled it into a routine in a sikilar fashion to they way Don Theo might have. What I can't manage is logically inserting another effect, and I certainly couldn't justify using cards.
Quote:
aussiemagic may have better advice though, go check with him...

I do like your idea of memorizing a stoy though.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
If you tell someone you've studied the psychology of the gambler, which involves luck, gut instinct, and intuition - and why different people define them in different ways...then you'd have ample "story" to indirectly explain why you're using cards a lot...you can then segue into gambling, and how non-professional gamblers pick lucky numbers, why they consider them lucky, and even consult tarot readers to see if they can fortell the future...

from one little thing, a quick intro/story - you can open up a wide playground of effects and presentations...
I've asked to be banned
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Try to imagine if you can two 16 year olds advising one another on how to be taken seriously as "psychological illusionists" -- or anything other than a couple of teenagers doing tricks. The very thought boggles the mind.
Dick Christian
BillyTheSquid
View Profile
Veteran user
My bamboo hut's supported on
331 Posts

Profile of BillyTheSquid
Quote:
On 2010-05-30 19:58, magicFreak2 wrote:

... I spend about 1 minute in the first card effect (which, after I fail, ties in at the end for a kicker prediction effect)

Surely to start with a failure is heading for disaster, even if it does have a kicker ending. First impressions count. After you've failed the first "kudos" test from their p.o.v. you will have greater difficulty getting them back again.

It would be a little like a rollercoaster ride that halts immediately after the safety restraint locks you in, only to wait for a while before the real ride begins. A disappointing start which may have people shouting to get off the ride before it begins moving.
Oyama
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR.
1054 Posts

Profile of Oyama
How about a Headline Prediction?
"it's better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb."
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1920 Posts

Profile of DT3
Thanks for the mention ;-)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cards and mentalism (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL