The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Durn, the techies were right... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
As we all know some technologies come out that are not exactly as touted. I mean, a CD isn't any clearer than an album if you have a good stereo and I never really noticed much difference between a DVD and a video tape. I mean that the difference isn't great. Sure you have those fools who spend thousands on stereo equipment who swear one wire with a red cover is superior to one with a green covering who think they are different but we normal people know otherwise. Well, I saw a blue ray disk play for the first time the other day and the image was so much clearer than anything I've ever seen it shocked me. I wouldn't have bet on it but that blue ray stuff is legit....bless 'em.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Yeah, bluRay can show you details you could not see at the movie theater.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Any tech system is only as good as its weakest link. You didn't mention the tv it was being viewed on.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20615 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
My TV with a Blu Ray on it is clear like looking out a window. It is scary.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Hi def TV, flat screen, 1080, all that crap. The equipment is fine, which might explain why the picture is so good.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
My nearly blind sister-in-law started watching TV again when they got Blu-Ray and a hi def TV. She says she can even read some of the credits.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I have a lot of songs on my ipod that I originally had in albums form, and I can hear instraments on my ipod that I never heard on the album. It could be because the songs were remastered I don't know, but I hear instruments on the old songs that just wern't there years ago.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
jtb
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of jtb
When I think back to when I was young, we played records on players with ceramic needles. I can't believe I could enjoy or even hear music played on such equipment.

The first DVDs and CDs weren't much of a step up because I believe the digital process did not preserve all of the information.

The HI-Def process does contain more video bits and is a real step up.

John B.
Nosher
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Nosher
Quote:
On 2010-05-31 09:30, Al Angello wrote:
I have a lot of songs on my ipod that I originally had in albums form, and I can hear instraments on my ipod that I never heard on the album. It could be because the songs were remastered I don't know, but I hear instruments on the old songs that just wern't there years ago.

When I was younger there used to be a series of ads for some hi-fi gear (speakers or possibly a turntable) that used to have copy saying things like "On track 5 of Exile on Main Street, you can hear one of Keith Richard's strings break...or can you?". They were pretty good ads. Print ads - wasn't able to track them down on google. Anyone else remember them? I've got an idea they appeared in Omni.
Escapemaster-in-chief from all sorts of houdingplaces - Finnegans Wake
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Al is right about the remastered stuff. On Bob Dylans CDs you can hear instruments that you couldn't hear on the original version or on the cd before remastering. Everyone needs to run out and get new Dylan CDs to see what I mean.

I should say that remastering and cleaning up the sound also takes away a lot of the emotion of the song, the rawness if you will.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2010-05-31 17:18, MagicSanta wrote:

I should say that remastering and cleaning up the sound also takes away a lot of the emotion of the song, the rawness if you will.

Sobriety does the same thing, I'm afraid.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1363 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
I don't know where to post this, so I will start here. I am wondering if Blue Ray is replacing Dvds? All the major Dealers are giving away DVD's like crazy, especially HP and LL. I am thinking it is time to dump them myself, as blue ray is taking over. Just like those old enough remember, they gave away VHS's when DVD's made the scene.

Any inside info on this?

ACE
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
I can understand and see the difference between 720 dpi and 1080 dpi, but the difference between 60 MHz and 120 MHz refresh rates eludes me. Can the human eye even detect that much of a difference?
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Interestingly enough....

I have a Sony Bravia 720P projector and a straight through digital display system.

My Blue-Ray player however is my PS3.

It does such a FANTASTIC job of up-sampling DVDs that it takes a really exceptional Blue Ray for me to notice much difference.

(Which is great because I have over a thousand DVDs I think, and with you folks running to blue-ray its become *dirt* cheap to pick up other used ones Smile )

Now CD over album I disagree with you... to me there is a CLEAR improvement in "presence" on CD.

Which just geos to show how variable this all is by both equipment and perceiver.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2010-09-10 14:00, Josh Chaikin wrote:
I can understand and see the difference between 720 dpi and 1080 dpi, but the difference between 60 MHz and 120 MHz refresh rates eludes me. Can the human eye even detect that much of a difference?

Yes.

This was proved some time ago. Although "flicker perception" rate is 30 cycles per second, we DO process the information that comes in at a higher rate then flicker rate. (In CG we refer to "temporal aliasing", the faster the frame rate the lwoer the aliasing.) Doug Trumbull's ShowScan (the first 120fps system, a film system) is so good that it was used as an illusion in the "Present" part of the Luxor's old "The Obelisk" trilogy of rides/shows. You are told what you are watching is live actors... then strange things start to happen on stage. In reality, its all showscan film.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I've seen ratings for Blue Ray players and PS3 was number one.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Durn, the techies were right... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL