We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bombs in Göttingen (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2010-06-03 16:23, MagicSanta wrote:
I see the edge of a 'damn those Americans for putting bombs in a peace loving country like Germany' posts.

We're so close to being another example of Godwin's law...
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Godwin was right, I'm waiting for the "Nazism is a party of peace that was hijacked by some who didn't really understand its beauty".
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Sorry Stone, but I didn’t read the article. I think I may pretty much know what it already says. But I will give it a read.

Not just the United States but pretty much all countries have learned a lot since WWI and the advancement of munitions. The art of warfare is a strange conglomeration of what works and what doesn’t work, sometimes taking the what doesn’t work and discovering a new role for the original idea. Lessons learned from WWI and WWII and applied to Vietnam has culminated in U.S. Artillery serving two purposes. The two purposes, both of which kill the enemy, are immediate destruction and delayed destruction. The delayed destruction, often hard to judge as when the bomb will go off, came about due to a large number of duds, unexploded munitions, but all those duds became a good thing in that they now become the equivalent of a mine field. In fact, some seasoned WWII commanders saw the advantage of leaving behind the unexploded rounds for this reason as opposed to defusing or blowing them in place.

During the first Gulf War, the US Army used DPICM – Dual Purpose Improved Conventional Munitions – these anti-armor and anti-personnel bombs consisted of a main arty round that would air burst and deploy smaller explosive devices. Some of these would be delayed explosive rounds designed to be used as a minefield and deny the enemy access to a certain area. The problem arises in that with the emplacement of a normal mine field where the location of the mine field and each mine is mapped so that as the military advances it can destroy the mine field in place or portions of it, mark it with safe passage routes thus allowing the military to move through it without blowing themselves to kingdom come. With the deployment of DPICMs – sometimes referred to as cluster bombs – knowing exactly where each bomblet is located maybe hard, hence armor – tanks and personnel carriers – fitted with mine plows often lead the movement through an area suspected of having being hit with DPICMs.

Nasty business this warfare stuff.

Peace and Godspeed.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bombs in Göttingen (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL